getting started... or attempting to!

Options
I'm having a REALLY hard time getting started with working out, I think it's mostly becuase I'll have to get up at 5am to fit anything in... any advice or suggestions?!

Replies

• nici120
    Options
    Hey, just wondering, what is your daily schedule like that 5am is the only time you can work out?
    I find that workout videos really help me when I don't want to work out. There is a Jillian Michale's 30 day shred that is a 20 minute workout. It's an awesome workout. I sweat just as much as if I ran 3 miles. Also Leslie (I forgot her last name) she has several 1,2,3,or 4 mile walks. I did the 4 mile last night and was sweating like crazy! But it was 50 min.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I find it hard to get started as well. For me it takes about 2 -3 weeks to get past the "I don't want to do this" mentality. If I push through and get to the point that it becomes a normal routine it gets much easier, even enjoyable to exercise in the morning (I get up at 5:15am)

Don't try to do too much at first. Establish the habit of getting up and exercising each morning. Once it becomes a routine you can incrementally add to your program depending on your goals.

Yes, getting started is hard. Push through it, it gets easier.
  • sbodi88
    sbodi88 Posts: 18
    Options
    well i work 8-5 and have to leave my house by 7am to get the kids (all three!) dropped off on time! then after work i cook dinner, clean up, play, spend time with my kiddies then head to bed to start all over again!
  • Runninglibrarian13
    Runninglibrarian13 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    How old are the kids? Is there anything you could do with them? what I mean by that is... I used to have a workout dvd that was very family-friendly (Leslie one... called Family walk, I think)... and my daughter (age 6) has watched me do the Bob Harper "Pure Burn Strength" dvd (20 min beginner routine)...and sometimes she joins in!! After all, the kids seeing you workout could be a good example to them...and kids can always use more activity. Even if they don't need to lose weight/burn off excess fat, they still have all that excess energy to burn! (at least if they're anything like mine)

Or even if you didn't want to do a formal "work out"... a game of tag... or something like that.. would be great fun/time spent together AND get your heartrate up.

Just some thoughts
  • KDM1999
    KDM1999 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    grab a couple of good work out videos that you can pop in quick and easy - some are quick and super effective. one I love is Jillian Michaels 30-day shred. Its three progressive work outs - good combo of cardio and strength training AND its only 20 minutes!!

don't under estimate the power of walking - incorporate some walking to and from work or maybe at lunch if you can. I have three kids also and I understand the sheer exhaustion you face at times. good luck!
  • lisaskaggs1969
    lisaskaggs1969 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    you have to put it in your mind that you want to do this! don't let yourself tell you that you can't do it because you can! it's one of the hardest things you will ever do for yourself and trust me its worth it.
  • sbodi88
    sbodi88 Posts: 18
    Options
    How old are the kids? Is there anything you could do with them? what I mean by that is... I used to have a workout dvd that was very family-friendly (Leslie one... called Family walk, I think)... and my daughter (age 6) has watched me do the Bob Harper "Pure Burn Strength" dvd (20 min beginner routine)...and sometimes she joins in!! After all, the kids seeing you workout could be a good example to them...and kids can always use more activity. Even if they don't need to lose weight/burn off excess fat, they still have all that excess energy to burn! (at least if they're anything like mine)

Or even if you didn't want to do a formal "work out"... a game of tag... or something like that.. would be great fun/time spent together AND get your heartrate up.

Just some thoughts

my kids are 5, 2 and 6 months! my oldest would probably participate but the other two would look at me like im nuts. lol when it gets warmer out itll be much easier but winters in OH suck! haha trying to figure it all out, THANK YOU FOR ALL THE ADVICE!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    you need to start cutting corners.

bulk cook a lot of dinners. winter meals, like stews and roasts are very good to do. big pots of pasta and sauce and meat are great. same goes with sides, such as rice and beans. i grill up at least 4lbs of chicken breast a week too. and make the kids lunches at night, so you have less to do in the morning.
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I'm having a REALLY hard time getting started with working out, I think it's mostly becuase I'll have to get up at 5am to fit anything in... any advice or suggestions?!

The early morning thing.. I conquered it right away, as my workouts used to be at 4am.

When that alarm goes off, you need to make the decision what is more important, every single morning.

Lean sexy abs, are more important than sleep.
    Being Fit, living an awesome life.. more important than sleep
    Etc, etc.
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    http://www.modernmom.com/article/calories-burned-playing-with-kids

Playing with the kids can be good exercise, pick the more active games.

Also can you cook ahead at the weekend to free up 30 mins a couple of times a week.
  • FeatherontheWind
    FeatherontheWind Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I just graduated from the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred - Circuit 1 to Circuit 2 today. It's a fabulous 20 minute workout and really burns calories. Also, by doing the workout early in the day, you will maximize calories burned throughout the next several hours of whatever you are doing...even if it is just breathing. :)

i know it's difficult at first to get motivated to get up...just don't psych yourself out. In other words, push the reasons why you don't want to get up right out of your head. Replace those negative thoughts with positive ones such as...the healthier you are the more energy you will have for your kids and everything else you do, your clothes will fit nicer, you'll be happier throughout the day, etc. Exercise releases endorphins which cause you to feel exhilarated. 20 minutes later you will be so happy you just got up and got it done AND you'll be on your road to a healthier more vibrant you.

I hope this helps...it works for me. Have a lovely weekend. :flowerforyou:
  • danifo0811
    danifo0811 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5 to exercise and all I can say is just do it. it is easy to make excuses but that is the best time! later in the day I find it easy to make excuses (busy, tired, kids won't go to sleep) .

I only do 20-30 minutes because I can't bring myself to get up earlier.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    It helps to be a light sleeper.

Even if the air in the room moves, I wake up. I'm just not a "hit the snooze button and go back to sleep" type. Sometimes, I try. But, my brain is wildly active and I just can't sleep once I'm woken up by my alarm. So, it's easy for me. What else am I going to do at 4:30am?