Whats the deal with Protein Powder??

Options
Just wondering if using Protein powder is good? - Should I be using this as a supplement? I have heard that it's not good to take protein unless you're able to work it off, otherwise it has negative effects? Is this true? Does the powder do the same thing as the real deal (chicken, fish etc.)?
Thinking of using it in a smoothie in the morning? Any advise would be GREAT!! :smile:

Replies

• mrayniak
    mrayniak Posts: 38
    Options
    I take some after I work out. My nutritionist said it was okay to take because I do a lot of resistance - I found it does help me recover better after a long session in the gym. Not sure on the specifics though so i am interested to hear what others have to say.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I don't find protein powder/shakes necessary. I would rather get my protein from food sources. Cottage cheese, lean meats, tuna and greek yogurt are all good sources. I would personally rather eat a yogurt after working out than drink a shake, it is more satisfying. Another good post workout food/drink is skim milk with unsweetened cocoa in it. Yum and great source of digestable protein.
  • debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I use protein powder as a supplement--I find I stay fuller longer when I have protein with meals and snacks. In fact protein takes a long time to digest so if you pair it with a carb it makes your blood sugar spike less. Most people eat too many carbs and not enough protein from what I have heard. In fact, I think it is perfectly healthy to eat protein with every meal and snack--that is what I try to do. A protein smoothie sounds like a great way to start the day. I know I feel much better and have less cravings if I get protein with breakfast.
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I add protein powder to my smooties because the added protein keeps me fuller longer. I USUALLY get my protein from natural sources (so I don't use the powder a whole lot), but I do keep some on hand to use from time to time.

I read once that protein is the LAST thing your body will turn into fat. That it's better to have too much protein than too many carbs or sugars, etc. In fact, most people don't get enough protein....
  • candice26
    candice26 Posts: 27
    Options
    WOW - these replies are great and you got back to me so quickly! Thank you! I agree that getting protein as often is a good thing, but my trouble is with the powder I don’t feel as if I’m satisfied, and don’t feel that sense of being “fuller”. I LOVE the idea of having milk and chocolate powder after a work out . . . I read once that having chocolate milk is a great way to finish a workout. Can’t wait to hear more!
    Thanks everyone, this has been a great start to my first day on MFP.
  • jules1984
    jules1984 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    And what's the deal with airline peanuts?!

JK. Seriously though, they're great if you're trying to rebuild after a workout and want to up your protein. HOWEVER, they can be very high cal or full of artificial sweetners so buy carefully.

Have a nice day!
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Protein powder is a supplement. If you get enough protein from natural sources, then that should be good enough.

Some people eat different macro nutrient ratios and like to eat more protein, and it can be hard to have lots of chicken/tuna/egg whites/cottage cheese everyday.

I've been doing a 40-30-30 (c-p-f). I also try to have protein at every meal to make it a balanced meal.
    I aim for 150-175 grams of protein every day. So I use protein powder and have shakes in the morning and afternoon/evening.
  • candice26
    candice26 Posts: 27
    Options
    So whats a good ratio for me as a woman, not looking to get bulky, or gain weight, just get the protein I need?
  • hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I really get into my workouts and can hardly get enough protein (w/o all the fat) in fast enough to avoid the fatigue/headaches I used to get.

A little (1 scoop of the 2 recommended) protein powder mixed into my 1/2 cup yogurt has really changed how I approach exercise. If I can replenish w/in 30 minutes of my workout, I'm good to go, otherwise I plan a good meal prior....kinda difficult w/a family.

I use EAS Vanilla & I'm usu picky...:tongue: