Explain in crayon please

Options
2»

Replies

• firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Ok, I am a very bright person, but for some reason am having a hard time deciding what calorie intake I should have. I have done the BMR calculations, and according to those results I should be eating about 1702 to lose weight. That to me just seems like an awful lot. Can somebody please explain to me how I will not be gaining weight by eating that amount apposed to a lower amount like 1200? I know I see this question on here all time and want to smack those people. But, I obviously need it simplified way down and written in crayon...and a few more cups of coffee. Lol. And my numbers are 5ft8in, current weight 152lbs, goal weight 132, body fat (if I calculated correctly) 23.3%. And I do workout for about 45 minutes 3-4x a week, currently trying to make that at least 5x a week.
    Thanks for the input and not smacking me from frustration!! I am smh at myself at the moment.

Based on you stats you area already at a healthy weight, BMI and BF% for your height. Your photo does not look like you need to lose more"weight". If you do not like you shape - decrease your cardio workouts and start to pickup the weights - you will change you shape and lose inches without losing weight! Take a look at New Rules of Lifting for Women. It is a good program and it has a very detailed section on nutrition and calorie intake and macro requirements to maintain/build muscle while you lose fat.

There is a good group here http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/119-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w-

Other groups to consider http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/4618-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

That photo was about 6 months ago.. I've gained 13lba since then. And my comfortable weight for me is a total of 20lbs less
    Than where I am. I am doing a lot of weights to try to reshape as well! Thanks for the input and sites!!
    If ya don't mind I'm going to add you as a friend!'

You look awesome, really, and great work with what you've done so far! If you're using weights, that's even more reason to up your calories! Those suckers need energy to repair!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Ok, I am a very bright person, but for some reason am having a hard time deciding what calorie intake I should have. I have done the BMR calculations, and according to those results I should be eating about 1702 to lose weight. That to me just seems like an awful lot. Can somebody please explain to me how I will not be gaining weight by eating that amount apposed to a lower amount like 1200? I know I see this question on here all time and want to smack those people. But, I obviously need it simplified way down and written in crayon...and a few more cups of coffee. Lol. And my numbers are 5ft8in, current weight 152lbs, goal weight 132, body fat (if I calculated correctly) 23.3%. And I do workout for about 45 minutes 3-4x a week, currently trying to make that at least 5x a week.
    Thanks for the input and not smacking me from frustration!! I am smh at myself at the moment.

You can't gain weight by eating at your BMR because your BMR does not take your entire daily burn into account. It's that simple.
  • lovechicagobears
    lovechicagobears Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Since you love celery, I would suggest spreading some peanut butter or cream cheese on it. That's an easy way to get more calories without adding a lot of food. (I LOVE celery with peanut butter on it.)

You can also add some cheese and nuts into your diet. Try eating a handful of nuts as a snack.

Don't worry about the fat from the peanut butter and nuts; those are "good" fats. If you're concerned about the cheese, you can buy the 2% or skim milk versions.

Also, consider having a glass of skim milk with breakfast and/or dinner.

How about oatmeal for breakfast? You can toss the fruit into it. Alternately, you could make a protein smoothie with fruit and Greek yogurt.
  • Lifelearner
    Lifelearner Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    In crayon: the hard part is figuring out what works for YOU; after that, living and maintaining the lifestyle is easy! And figuring out what works for you is not really that hard.

if you eat too few calories, your body will stop shedding fat and hold onto it. Spread the 1700-1800 calories across six small meals; digestion burns calories and the six meals keeps blood sugar even, and thus cravings disappear. Doing this, I am NEVER hungry, and sometimes have to MAKE myself eat the last meal because it is part of the bigger process!

Type of calorie is important. Try for a 40/30/30 ratio of protein/carb/fat. Yes, eating fat is necessary to burn fat! Most people's eating habits are way too high in carbs, and too low in protein and fat.. Protein also fills you up the best of the three types.

A final note on calories. If your number is 1700, don't try to eat exactly 1700 everyday. 1800 one day and 1600 the next works better; for some reason the body likes the slight variation. It is also ok to blow it on occasion. If you are already at 1600 for the day and have a 300-calories piece of birthday cake with a friend, the world will not end. Don't do this regularly (factor the cake in before the day starts) but once in a while is ok. This entire thing is about freedom to enjoy your life, not slavery to a "plan."

Two years ago I went from 246 to 216 (I'm 6'4"). I was eating between 3,500 and 4.500 calories everyday! How? My lean body mass (muscle and tissue) was going up, and turned my body into a fat-burning machine.

Some cardio is necessary, but resistance training pays huge dividends. You will not bulk up, but trim/shape/tone into a fit, sexy look. Moderate (for your size) free weights (not machines) done with proper form will greatly accelerate fat burn. Body weight exercises engage and stoke many more muscles than machines do; this burns more calories per workout (during and after) and shapes the whole body. That is why you never see overweight people who do yoga consistently and correctly. Proper stretching burns calories! I do not currently practice yoga, opting for a more aggressive body weight workout, but the principle is the same.

On exercise, try early in the day vs. late in the day. Your body will respond much better to one than the other. May require some life adjustments, but the results will make it worthwhile. To know which your body responds to best, keep everything else the same (calories, rest, stress, etc.) and do two weeks early then two weeks late. Which produces better results?

I weigh everyday. Some people preach against that because your weight fluctuates. What if, on your intermittent weigh-in days, day 2 is higher than day 1? Frustration. If, however, you weigh everyday you will see your overall trend and know an occasional "higher" day is normal and nothing to freak out about.

Track everything using MFP and after 30 days you should know what you need to do for the rest of your life. Even if it took 45 days, what is that compared to years of having the body and life you want?

Don't just track the numbers; journal the experience - how you feel, energy levels, people you should not eat with or after talking to(!), your attitude (if this process becomes drudgery you will not stay with it), and the comments people make as they notice subtle changes. Most importantly, how you feel about yourself as you reach one goal after another.

On that note, I would share what I'm doing only with a small number of people who care and who support me, or if someone specifically asks what you are doing differently. Other than that, there is power in knowing you are diligently pursuing your goals while keeping it to yourself. It's your little secret, in a sense, and there is power in that. And power produces results!

For His glory,

Michael