low calorie margarita recipe

Options
I decided to post this recipe that I discovered because I know I cannot be the only one that finds it hard to cut out all alcohol while trying to lose weight. Now if you are like me and love tequila and margaritas then you will love this recipe. A margarita is nothing but a ton of sugar and calories....but I have found a way around that.

A typical margarita recipe is tequila, triple sec, lime juice and sour mix or a bottle of the already made margarita mix...either one has a lot of calories. Instead of using margarita mix or the lime juice/sour mix combination buy lemon lime flavored crystal light and mix it according to the package. A cup of lime flavored crystal light has 5 calories per cup. Lime is the typical margarita flavor but hey, buy whatever flavor suites your mood.

Here is the break down of my recipe:

1 1/2 oz Don Julio tequila
1 1/2 oz Triple sec
1 cup lime Crystal light (or according to your taste)

Nutritional Facts:
1 1/2 oz of tequila = 97 calories
1 1/2 oz triple sec = 73 calories
1 cup of crystal light = 5 calories
Total per drink = 175 calories

Keep in mind, if you make yourself the occasional cocktail at home you can also use crystal light as a substitute for your other favorite mixers, such as cranberry crystal light to replace cranberry juice and so on. If you dont like drinking club soda use crystal light. With 5 calories per serving you cant go wrong.

Enjoy!

Replies

• MrsTomy
    MrsTomy Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    That sounds great! I'll have to try it out at the beach this summer! The beach just isn't the same without a margarita! :)
  • suspalik
    suspalik Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    That is great! Thanks!
  • 1harleygal
    1harleygal Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    :love: Holy crap I never thought of using Crystal Light but have been using diet soda which isn't as good for you! Thanks for the info! :love:
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    I've been using Sprite Zero (it's lovely).

some carbs, some sodium but that's it. Zero everything but 100% taste.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    LOVE this idea. I just bought myself a single serving size blender (makes 16 oz). This will be PERFECT for sitting out on my balcony with a margarita and a sunny day :D
  • jerseygirl81
    Options
    Thank you so much for posting this!! I, too, have a weakness for Tequila and Margaritas. Living in Texas, margaritas have become a staple to any tex-mex meal. Or on any one of the beautiful sunny days here I'm always the first to suggest someplace to go and sip on a few margaritas. Now I know I can treat myself, without throwing my whole day out of whack. Thank you so much!!:smile:
  • nicolel18
    nicolel18 Posts: 17
    Options
    This recipe isnt as sweet as a regular margarita but its still really good. I suggest that if you make it frozen you may want to add a little stevia or truvia or any other sweetener to it to sweeten it up.
  • soundofsong
    Options
    Awesome!
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    sounds yummy! :love:

Noticed in your profile, Nicole that you live in CT- I do too! :flowerforyou:
  • nicolel18
    Options
    oh nice. Where in CT do you live?
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    oh nice. Where in CT do you live?

Don't like to give out specifics online, but in Hartford county... what about you?
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Nice! I just turned 21 2 days ago so I'm DEFINITELY in the market for lower calorie options for drinking. :happy: I love this! Definitely want to try it out. Also, when I bought my POM Wonderful Juice, they gave me a book with some drinks to mix with it. Gonna try it out!
  • shellshalla
    shellshalla Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    OMG I miss margaritas!!! I'm definitely going to have to try this out. Thanks!
  • lhamil00
    lhamil00 Posts: 5
    Options
    Thats awesome thank you for sharing!!!
  • erica9699
    erica9699 Posts: 53
    Options
    bump...so i'll have it for later
  • cbonuz
    cbonuz Posts: 63
    Options
    OMG! You're a lifesaver! I have missed margaritas on this plan and have to admit, I've cheated and had a couple. But they are so HIGH in calories! This sounds wonderful and I will definitely give it a try. You can't live in Texas and go without margaritas! LOL
  • nicolel18
    Options
    Im in New Haven county. :smile:
  • jmdolan
    jmdolan Posts: 128
    Options
    bump
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    BUMP!
  • unknownndoll
    unknownndoll Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Ive always mixed my vodka with different crystal lights for only 60 something calories!!!