Growing Food not grass this year - anyone else?

Options
I have been digging (no pun intended) into the world of Homesteading over the past few years through live stock, crochet etc...anywho. This year I am planning growing and canning my own food. I was looking to see if any others planned on doing the same thing and maybe we could motivate each other and keep each other on track with shared tips and progress.

Replies

• gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I only do container gardening. I live in a place that requires too much water. So I don't water my lawn but I haven't replaced it with veggies either because there are only two of us and we tend to travel.
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I never can anything, but I garden every year. It's hard to think about right now in western NY where my beds are buried under a foot of snow! We usually plant several types of vegetables and herbs as well as garlic. Eventually we want to get 6-12 hens to raise for eggs. I'm not an expert, but our beds are organic and we have been palnting for about 4 years now. I love going out to the garden to pick what I need for luch or dinner and herbs never taste better than when they are fresh. Good luck with your ventures :)
  • hmuh
    hmuh Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    For beginners, check out "square foot gardening." It's easy and offers flexibility with the variety of things you can plant in a fairly small amount of space.
  • dsmpunk
    dsmpunk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I love to garden and I always grow veggies. I just never seem to have enough.

What are you planning on growing? I usually plant a winter squash type, zucchini and tomatoes. I always have my rhubarb and raspberries too!