Active Date Ideas for Couples?

Options
Hello Fitties :) Happy Saturday! With the weekend on, my boyfriend and I went on a double date with another couple last night to dinner. As I was inputting my meal choices, I realize that most of the things we do are go out to dinner/drinking/movies. However, the one active thing I'm trying to get him into is salsa dancing! I'm addicted, but he's still learning. In the meantime- do any of you guys have any fun, cheap active date ideas? Much Love in the Fit Family!

Replies

• Dulian25
    Options
    My boyfriend and I share certain hobbies. Last summer, I got a new camera and we took a walk on a nearby bike path and took pictures together.
    He's also extremely competitive so, during the summer, I bet him he can't beat me and we race, ride bikes. Sometimes, when my boyfriend wants ice cream, I make him run with me to the ice cream store and walk back (it's nearby his house.)
    He's not active at all so it's a miracle I can get him to do these things. Just get creative ; ).
    During the winter, you guys can take a trip to the city and walk around, go indoor mini-golfing (hey, it's not dinner lol), or, depending on where you live, there are indoor trampoline centers for adults lol. Check it out.
    Hope this helped; I have the same issue...I had to get creative!
  • crystaldawn19
    Options
    I love this! I wish I had a suggestion, but I'm going to watch this thread like a hawk!! I need some ideas too for my husband and I go out also! The most active we ever get is going to walk around the mall after eating dinner lol Thanks everyone in advance for any cool ideas! :)
  • Dsmcgrail
    Options
    Look up Geocaching.com!!!! Geocaching is the perfect outdoor and off the couch activity because it can be done alone, or with a group, or anywhere in between. You can go as far from home, or close to home as you like, and make it as much of an adventure as you like also.

We will also load up the kiddos in a stroller and go for a walk around town, or to a local trail of some sort. Or go for a bike ride together.
  • sammielealea
    sammielealea Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    One thing I want to try with my hubby is rock climbing . . . just have to try and find the time in our busy schedules :) I can't wait for other ideas!
    Oh, and depending on location/weather, golfing sans cart and beer :)
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    One thing I want to try with my hubby is rock climbing . . . just have to try and find the time in our busy schedules :) I can't wait for other ideas!
    Oh, and depending on location/weather, golfing sans cart and beer :)

I was just about to suggest rock climbing! It's perfect for couples because you'll have to work together, trust each other, solve problems together, and you'll laugh a lot too.

You can rent all your equipment at the gym and it gets more fun/challenging the more you go. Try it!
  • fillingame
    fillingame Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    My hubs and I like to try and go play tennis.... also disc golf... our local course is very hilly, so its a lot of walking, etc... Great question; I can't wait to see other ideas.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Swing dancing might be easier for him to pick up. Blues is super sexy, but pretty easy to get started in.
    Take a boxing lesson together
    Pack a picnic and go for a hike
    "Swimming" aka horsing around in the water
    If available, horseback riding
    For double dates, basketball, volleyball or tennis
    Is there trapeze available in your area? It tends to be the most available of the circus arts.
    Couples yoga or acro yoga (oh, how I look forward to weighing the same or less than my partner so we can do this!)
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    Mini golf, bowling, laser tag, paint ball, a guided walking tour of your city....in the fall you can take the "haunted" walks. These aren't going to burn tonnes of calories obviously, but are super fun and still more active then just dinner/drinks.
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Rock climbing, ice skating, snowboarding, skiing, swimming, hiking.. paintball and laser tag, DANCING :)
  • KittyViolet
    KittyViolet Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I share certain hobbies. Last summer, I got a new camera and we took a walk on a nearby bike path and took pictures together.
    He's also extremely competitive so, during the summer, I bet him he can't beat me and we race, ride bikes. Sometimes, when my boyfriend wants ice cream, I make him run with me to the ice cream store and walk back (it's nearby his house.)
    He's not active at all so it's a miracle I can get him to do these things. Just get creative ; ).
    During the winter, you guys can take a trip to the city and walk around, go indoor mini-golfing (hey, it's not dinner lol), or, depending on where you live, there are indoor trampoline centers for adults lol. Check it out.
    Hope this helped; I have the same issue...I had to get creative!

Oh man, I never thought of that! We have a really nice café that sells the best coconut cream pie ever. Sometimes we'll bike it there, but running sounds so much better.

I like playing frisbee in the park! But we turn it up a notch and try to throw it so the other has to run/dive to catch it. Really makes you work while having fun.
  • KittyViolet
    KittyViolet Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Mini golf, bowling, laser tag, paint ball, a guided walking tour of your city....in the fall you can take the "haunted" walks. These aren't going to burn tonnes of calories obviously, but are super fun and still more active then just dinner/drinks.

^This, too. My boyfriend brought me to play paintball 2 years ago and I immediately loved it. It's a really good workout if you can find a big arena and go in a group of 8-10 people (5-6 per team). The less people in the arena, the more you can run around and jump and climb the obstacles. Plus those guns aren't as light as they look, especially when you're hauling them around for a few hours.
  • hmuh
    hmuh Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Look up Geocaching.com!!!!
    Ok, THIS sounds like fun!
  • 4C_diva
    4C_diva Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Taking long walks and working out at the Family Y is something my husband and I are trying.
  • lifechanges06
    lifechanges06 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    great idea i do this too, fun to do when on vacation too in other states etc
  • tanyaslosingit
    tanyaslosingit Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    My DH and I have a 100 Hikes Challenge. It started out as my own personal challenge, but now he's participating as well! The goal is to hike 100 different trails by a goal date (in our case before my 50th birthday in two years.) He likes to find the trail to fit within the parameters of the week (dogs? kids? snow? mileage?) and we're discovering a lot more about the place where we now live. Technically, we could do this challenge in a much shorter time frame, but there are some trails we like to go back to, especially in different seasons!

The ultimate goal is to build up a four season calendar of activity oriented events. We're also thinking about adding in kayaking (Spring/Summer), going back to downhill skiing (Winter) and biking... Between trips, we're big on walking the dogs :-)
  • horseplaypen
    horseplaypen Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Another vote for rock climbing! At our climbing gym, I think it's about $15 to rent gear, less if you just rent shoes and go bouldering instead. So much fun and a great workout!

My boyfriend and I both enjoy a lot of outdoor sports, mostly summer stuff like hiking (which is free other than gas!), surfing (can also be cheap to rent, about $30 for the board and wetsuit, of course you have to get to a good surf spot first!), and canoeing. I'm trying to get my boyfriend to go bike riding more often with me, but he's not a big fan.

We're trying to get more into winter sports, we've borrowed snowshoes from friends a few times which was a lot of fun, and ice skating too. I really want to get back into snowboarding, but I'm just too poor at the moment!!
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I agree with Hiking...especially if you pack a healthy picnic for whatever summit you get to. I absolutely love picking a somewhat long or strenuous hike, and packing a lunch (and maybe even a bottle of wine) for a treat at the top. Tennis is also good, even if you don't know how to play. Search for groupons or deals on lessons (I've done tennis, horseback riding, paintball, rock gyms and a bunch of others).

One thing we once did was a total 'athletic competition'. There were 10 events we decided on, 3 that he was good at, 3 that I was good at, and 4 'wild card' activities to decide which of us had bragging rights over the other :) (note- only do this if you like being competitive and can handle the trash talking). I think it was running, tennis, archery (we found an archery camp at a local park that had free Saturday morning lessons), mini-golf, frisbee golf, bar games (billiards/darts), skateboarding, rock climbing, and a few others. We even had little gold medals for every event that the winner would get. It was a ton of fun, and I actually want to do it again now that I've described it
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of swing dancing. I've always wanted to try it! Neither my husband or myself are good dancers (LOL) but this seems like fun :smile:
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Ice or roller skating are cheap, fun, and very date-date like. Skating with a boy when you were in middle school was superserious omg.
  • laurenellenmarie
    laurenellenmarie Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    We go bowling every once in a while as well as hiking in the woods both don't burn a ton of calories but they're more active than other things.