WHY?

Options
Why do I want to eat when i am not hungry? There has to be an answer as to why, I need to figure it out.... it's deeper then being just bored!

Replies

• maryroseclare
    Options
    I just bought a great book by Dr. Judith Beck - "The Beck Diet Solution Weight Loss Book - Train your brain to think like a thin person". It doesn't provide a diet, but uses cognitive behavioral therapy to change our thoughts and take actions to instill new habits. It's really great!
  • emtink
    emtink Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    for me that answer would probably be stress. then boredom.

i eat for the comfort of eating... and then i usually crave the bad stuff.
  • acakeforawife
    Options
    Ha! If I could answer that question, I'd be a BILLIONAIRE!! :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Whatever it is, just keep telling yourself that "if hunger isn't the problem, food isn't the answer!"
  • StarryEyedGirl
    Options
    I will check out that book!

great advice acakeforawife!!
  • MissNova
    MissNova Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I am the same way. Its like I always have to be eating some of a sort. What is keep sugar free gum. Everytime I get an urge I just chew on it. It helps for a bit. Try drinking lots of water too.
  • ♥seoid♥
    ♥seoid♥ Posts: 476
    Options
    emotional?
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    ahh yes, food is a complex enemy. I'm writing a book, here's an excerpt from it.
    Self knowledge is a term I use to make people think about themselves. Understanding our body and our mind is critical in how we approach both weight loss and change in lifestyle. Because so many of us become unhealthy and overweight because of our
    perception with regards to food, and ideas about how our body handles food, knowing what goes on in our head before we eat, in our body while we eat, and in our organs, lean tissue, and bones after we eat is vital to success.
    Let's begin by examining what we think of when we eat. Very few of us start off this journey by analyzing why we feel the need to shove food in our mouths. We just do! Unlike drugs, gambling, alcohol, and many other forms of addiction it's a socially acceptable way to compensate for our mental and physical issues. Eating can, in fact, kick off certain receptors in the brain, for instance, chocolate has been seen to affect mood in numerous studied done, a simple web search on chocolate and mood can confirm study results on the subject. But this aspect of food is only part of the equation. Other aspects of food and overeating is the concept of comfort associated with food. For many children and adults, food is their only way to hide from abuse and stress. Eating is recognized as a coping mechanism. I cannot stress how important it is for you as an adult to take the steps needed to find out why you eat. Because trying to change your eating habits without finding the root cause of them is like treating an oil leak in your car by continually adding more oil, it may remedy the situation short term, but the problem is still there. For all you big strong men out there that don't like to delve into emotions, get over yourself, strong men are men that have faced up to their internal issues and dealt with them, not men who have pushed their feeling down so deep that they manifest as hatred, bigotry, anger, stress, and a whole host of other issues (like unhealthy eating habits).
    The question becomes, how does someone figure out what their issues are; and what the heck do you do with this knowledge once you think you know what the issues are? Well, that's not an easy question to answer, and there are whole career paths that focus on this type of issue, so I won't try to answer that question in full for you. What I can tell you is how to begin, and hopefully start identifying the obvious issues, and maybe clue yourself in to the possibility of deeper issues that you can explore with family, friends, or professional help. The good news with regards to this topic is that you don't necessarily need to solve all your problems in order to start becoming healthy. Identification of an issue, or even just the hint of an answer can be so freeing and motivating, that you may find yourself able to lose the weight with little or no other help. Of course for many of us, just identifying the need for resolution doesn't spell victory.

sorry about the men part, it's a book for men who need to lose weight.
  • KalB
    KalB Posts: 42
    Options
    I am going to agree with the stress answer. I think when it comes to things you cant control in your life you can very easily go to two extreams. Not eating at all or eating all the time. Both are something you can control when you dont feel you can control anything else, The thing to do is follow the good advice here and remember that food isnt always the answer. I am also a huge fan of gum. :D
  • jamie31
    jamie31 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I found out for me that the issue is boredom. This is one of the reasons that I workout so much.If im working out I wont get bored so then i wont over eat. I have also found that eating foods that take longer to eat such as grapes, popcorn, and cheerios helps with the boredom.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Here's how I discovered why:

"free journaling" whenever I wanted to eat. (when I clearly couldn't be physically hungry)

Buy yourself a notebook, and whenever the urge to eat hits, write two pages. You can write ANYTHING on those two pages (shopping lists, things you want for Christmas, how your day went, anything...) and you will discover that very interesting things will start to surface when you let them. I know it sounds hokey, but it's golden, trust me.

I eat because I feel "out of control", at least that's my most common trigger. When you find the root cause, then you can find other coping means. A hot bath or a long walk is a terrific thing to help me feel more in control, and better than the binges I used to use.:flowerforyou:
  • tdh302
    tdh302 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I second the Judith Beck book - The Beck Diet Solution. I'm a PsyD student who is very familiar with CBT- cognitive behavioral therapy. Right now I work with inpatient drug and alcohol patients and CBT is a large component of our treatment approach. In relation to food...just look into Weight Watchers and you'll find CBT is the backbone to that program.
    I read that book and have used some of the concepts with patients who are diagnosed with food addiction/drug or alcohol addiction and depression or anxiety. It is not uncommon for someone to enter treatment with food addiction in addition to their chemical addiction. Anyway...I highly recommend the book for anyone trying to figure out why they eat when they are not hungry. Its a book to read that is formatted like a personal workbook.
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for some insight into emotional eating, I read :Shrink Yourself: Break Free from Emotional Eating Forever" by Roger Gould. He explains the differences between emotional hunger and physical hunger. It was a good read and a good analysis about what causes us to be emotional eaters.

Personally, acknowledging that you are eating not because you are hungry but because you are bored is the first step. What you need to do is try to realize that eating won't help you stop being bored. Eating only lasts a little bit and then you are still bored. Maybe you could take up a hobby or read or go for a walk. Find a substitute for food. It isn't easy to stop emotional eating, but with a lot of thought and effort, it can be done.