Always over on sugar!

Options
It seems like everyday I go over on my daily sugar recommendation. It's not from eating a ton of sweets and junk, but mainly from fruit. I do Green Monster smoothies several times a week, which usually have a cup of berries and a banana, which account for all the excess sugar. Does anyone else have this problem? I feel like eating fresh, organic fruit everyday is an important part of a healthy lifestyle, but I can't seem to avoid going over on my sugar when I do.

Replies

• mammacoty
    mammacoty Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    as long as it's the natural sugar from fruits, don't sweat it...it's the processed sugar that will get you.
  • cutiepieinchi
    Options
    I make green smoothies daily and am always going over my sugar intake for the week. As long as it is not the processed stuff you are good to go :)
  • brittshea9
    brittshea9 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your comments, I was really worried about constantly going over but with it being from fruits and not any processed sugar, I won't worry so much.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Sugar is just a carbohydrate. As long as you're close to your daily Cals and carb macro, and not diabetic or otherwise sensitive to sugar, it doesn't really matter.
  • kimcalica
    kimcalica Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I used to freak about that too! Sugar is a fat storer for me! I cut out processed foods.. Switched to plain Greek yogurt sweetned with splenda, of course no refined sugar in my coffee or grapefruit, just Splenda, so the only sugars I get now are from fruit! Took time to go au natural, I cut sodium too. I found out that's worse for me than I thought.. Better to just buy meat, starch and veg and cook it then eat lean cuisine.. Hard core but true. Took time but I'm there now! I'm doing great!
  • jensnewstart
    jensnewstart Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting! I was starting to get aggitated that I was over in my sugars too, dang fruit!!
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Sugar from fruit is the same as white sugar. Your body treats it the same. The good thing about getting it from fruit is that you get all of those micronutrients from the fruit. The bad thing is that sugar (from any source) is it can cause more sugar cravings. If it doesn't cause you to crave more sugar, then you're fine. For me it does, but I don't want to give-up fruit all together. What I do instead is stick to strawberries (or any berry for that matter) and grapefruit because they're lower in sugar. Occasionally I'll let myself have an apple, but I consider that to be more of a "special treat food" than a diet staple.
  • kimcalica
    kimcalica Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Sugar from fruit is the same as white sugar. Your body treats it the same. The good thing about getting it from fruit is that you get all of those micronutrients from the fruit. The bad thing is that sugar (from any source) is it can cause more sugar cravings. If it doesn't cause you to crave more sugar, then you're fine. For me it does, but I don't want to give-up fruit all together. What I do instead is stick to strawberries (or any berry for that matter) and grapefruit because they're lower in sugar. Occasionally I'll let myself have an apple, but I consider that to be more of a "special treat food" than a diet staple.

Agreed about the craving! And the grapefruit! But strawberries are one of the highest fruits on the glycemic index, along with pineapple, bananas, grapes and surprisingly, watermelon. All the good ones!
  • ThinGalInside
    Options
    The problem isn't the fruit, it's how you're eating it. Try eating the fruit itself instead of the smoothie, and switch to ice cold water for your drink. A whole fruit is metabolized differently than a smoothie -- it takes longer to get into your system so is better for you. You'll be more satisfied too.
  • brittshea9
    brittshea9 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great tips! Everything @ThinGallnside said echoes what I was taught in my recent dietetics course and certainly makes sense. Eating the whole fruit would actually cut sugar because I wouldn't be having any excess sugar from the almond milk in the smoothie. Appreciate everyone's input!