Need to gain strength!

Options
I need help.
I am wanting to gain muscle and strength, fast! I know the right mix of protein and carbs is the answer. I know how to do cardio and used to do a lot of spin, yoga and cardio classes. I am maintaining my weight (and can lose it pretty fast if I get lazy and gain). However, I have a fitness test that may be coming up that I need to get strong for....FAST! (It is for a job interview). However, if I don't get the job or don't make the cut for the test, its not like I'll be upset at all the training I put in.
I am wanting to eat a multiple time a day, high protein diet. I am having trouble finding links for example diet plans and am having trouble calculating how many macros I need in order to gain lean muscle mass. I understand I may put on fat....although that is not what I want, I would rather gain fat and be strong (and lose later) in order to make the cut!
In case you are wondering what the fitness test is, I'll have to do the following:
a. Dummy Drag - drag a 75-pound dummy 3 minutes continuously for a minimum of 694 feet.
b. Climb and Grasp - climb rungs of a ladder and retrieve an item - ideal requirement 7 seconds.
c. Obstacle Course - ideal requirement 58 seconds.
d. Run and Cuff - run one-fourth mile and apply handcuffs - ideal requirement 2 minutes, 35 seconds.
e. Stair Climb - participant, with a 20-pound weight belt, will climb up and down 108 steps - ideal requirement 45 seconds.

Parts of this will be challenging and I want to be able to ace it!
If you're wondering how long I have, I have an interview at the end of this month and may need to be able to perform this test in two months.

Thanks for your input....I'm open minded to all suggestions and feedback!

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    how much time do you have?

you can maybe try things like sled pulls and pushes.

also since you already know what the test will be you can start working on those things like working on pullups, running stairs with a weighted vest or back pack, agility drills,
  • rlwinton
    rlwinton Posts: 101
    Options
    Thanks! Unsure of how much time I have, but the interview is on the 25th and I hope to have gained some muscle strength by then!!
  • cnash1303
    Options
    idk if i am aloud to put outside links on here, but i will say that if you google "/fit/ sticky" and click say...the first link...you will find everything you need to know.
  • Holmfridur_Gestsdottir
    Options
    You should definitely do some HIIT work to max your stamina. It works wonders! Then you need to do compound exercises, like pushups, rows, squats, deadlifts, etc and try to stick to the lower end of the rep range.Curling and tricep kickbacking all day won't get you the results you need. Always write down in a logbook what you do, how many reps and sets and try to beat your numbers each time. Maybe you should look around for a skilled trainer that can custom build a plan for you?
  • rlwinton
    Options
    Might get a trainer if I stick in the area! Hopefully though I'll move because I'll get the job....
  • rlwinton
    Options
    idk if i am aloud to put outside links on here, but i will say that if you google "/fit/ sticky" and click say...the first link...you will find everything you need to know.

LOL
    I didn't know if this was one of those goatse links,....but I trusted you, and did it....THANKS for the info!!
  • wmagoo27
    wmagoo27 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Heavy barbell work in squats and deadlifts followed by high rep drop sets. Hill sprints and bear crawls. Pullups for lots of sets with a few reps, like 20 sets of 3. Heavy carries, like rocks or buckets full of sand, for distance. What kind of equipment do you have access to? Dragging sled?

For diet, unless you have been training for years you do not need to build physical muscle to get stronger. Eat enough to recover from your workouts and get plenty of rest so you don't burn out. As you train, your body will become more efficient at muscle activation allowing you to get stronger quickly without building a lot of physical muscle (newbie gains). Basically you just need a lot of frequent training incorporating heavy lifting, higher volume work for endurance, and intense cardio

ETA: If you already know what you'll be tested on, mimicing those tests is a good bet. Don't do anything 4 or 5 days before the test and just rest so you're at your best on test day.
  • rlwinton
    Options
    For equipment, I have a full gym membership....and actually I do have a sled! So I'll try all of your suggestions. Thanks for the time to comment!
  • Sycoholic
    Sycoholic Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Muscle memory... train how we fight. You need to practice those tasks or find a way to simulate them. If i need to increase push ups per se, i can weight train til my arms fall off. However if i dont do push ups i wont make my goal. Muscle memory. Do they have a practice day for the test? I know my local f.d. did for the fitness challenge. You pick up a lot of good tips going to those.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Muscle memory... train how we fight. You need to practice those tasks or find a way to simulate them. If i need to increase push ups per se, i can weight train til my arms fall off. However if i dont do push ups i wont make my goal. Muscle memory. Do they have a practice day for the test? I know my local f.d. did for the fitness challenge. You pick up a lot of good tips going to those.

^^^ this.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Train for what you know you need to do. This includes a lot of bodyweight exercises and endurance training.

http://toughmudder.com/tough-mudder-boot-camp-training/ this is a good place to start, along with http://www.bodyrock.tv which will get you done in about 15 minutes.

Also check out nerdfitness.com, lots of good workouts there. Weight training and endurance training will be your best friend. Kill it.

Best of luck.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options

You are allowed to post outside links but common courtesy denotes an explanation of what people may be clicking on and whether it is work-safe or not.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I need help.
    I am wanting to gain muscle and strength, fast! I know the right mix of protein and carbs is the answer. I know how to do cardio and used to do a lot of spin, yoga and cardio classes. I am maintaining my weight (and can lose it pretty fast if I get lazy and gain). However, I have a fitness test that may be coming up that I need to get strong for....FAST! (It is for a job interview). However, if I don't get the job or don't make the cut for the test, its not like I'll be upset at all the training I put in.
    I am wanting to eat a multiple time a day, high protein diet. I am having trouble finding links for example diet plans and am having trouble calculating how many macros I need in order to gain lean muscle mass. I understand I may put on fat....although that is not what I want, I would rather gain fat and be strong (and lose later) in order to make the cut!
    In case you are wondering what the fitness test is, I'll have to do the following:
    a. Dummy Drag - drag a 75-pound dummy 3 minutes continuously for a minimum of 694 feet.
    b. Climb and Grasp - climb rungs of a ladder and retrieve an item - ideal requirement 7 seconds.
    c. Obstacle Course - ideal requirement 58 seconds.
    d. Run and Cuff - run one-fourth mile and apply handcuffs - ideal requirement 2 minutes, 35 seconds.
    e. Stair Climb - participant, with a 20-pound weight belt, will climb up and down 108 steps - ideal requirement 45 seconds.

Parts of this will be challenging and I want to be able to ace it!
    If you're wondering how long I have, I have an interview at the end of this month and may need to be able to perform this test in two months.

Thanks for your input....I'm open minded to all suggestions and feedback!

Don't worry about eating multiple times a day.

Aim to eat 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass

Eat at about 20% above your TDEE
  • pmanpdx
    pmanpdx Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Given what you've outlined...

For overall Strength & Flexibility: Mat Pilates (w/a certfied instructor)
    For Test-specifc Strength: Resistance Training of muscles & movements required for the Test (You may need a certified Trainer to help you translate the Test activities to safe, effective excercises.
    For Cardio-vascular Capacity: High-intensity Interval Training ("HIT")
    For Test Performance: There's no better way that Repeatedly Practice the Test

a. Dummy Drag - start at a comfortable weight and work your way up to 75-pounds and 4 minutes continuously for a minimum of 694 feet.

b. Climb and Grasp - Find out height (how many rungs) and size/weight of object.

c. Obstacle Course - Find out what the obstacles are and practice those.

d. Run and Cuff - run one-fourth mile and apply handcuffs - Get on a track (outside) and start running quarter-mile intervals (See Cardio-Vascular above). Got handcuffs?

e. Stair Climb - when it comes to vertical training there's absolutely no substitute for actually doing it. Get a Weight Vest, and find a stairwell.

Becuase of your EXTREMELY short timeline you will need to pat careful attention to avoiding overuse & connective tissue injuries. Progressively cycling your training will help. Working with a smart, ASCM certfied trainer will help.

Good Luck!
  • timah13
    timah13 Posts: 11
    Options
    take 5lb weights and do sets do punches in the air. 2min punches 1 minute rest 5 sets or just do 5x20 this will immediately beging to tone your arms. (good for leaning out the upper body & strength) cardio: jump rope 2 min jumps 1 min rest for 15 minutes. simple but effective for the legs
  • rlwinton
    Options
    WOW thanks guys! I want to go to Red Rocks Amphitheater (here in Colorado) and try the stair climb. I can do a 1/4 mi run in that time but the handcuffs....well I guess I need to get a pair! LOL
    Right now I am sick so training has come to a startling halt...but your suggestions keep me motivated. This is my dream job and I don't want the opportunity to pass me by just because I was not fit enough!
  • rlwinton
    Options
    Train for what you know you need to do. This includes a lot of bodyweight exercises and endurance training.

http://toughmudder.com/tough-mudder-boot-camp-training/ this is a good place to start, along with http://www.bodyrock.tv which will get you done in about 15 minutes.

Also check out nerdfitness.com, lots of good workouts there. Weight training and endurance training will be your best friend. Kill it.

Best of luck.