I never thought I would be a "Yoga Person"....

Options
This weekend, my hubby and I took our kids on a trip to the beach - enjoyed ourselves and the time together, packed some healthy foods for myself along with the snacks and munchies for everyone else (bananas, apples, yogurt, juice, etc). I indulged here and there (dark chocolate bar with my ice water by the pool!), but did really well. (HELLOOOOO, NEW ME!!! :drinker: )

Our hotel offers "Yoga on the beach" in the mornings.... the last time we stayed there, I saw everyone stretching down by the water and thought "I wanna try that!" :happy:

So... I planned ahead.... packed my comfy clothes along with my vacation clothes. Found out the times.... Got up early enough. Hubby sweetly volunteered kidwatch duty, which meant I got to go enjoy it guilt-free.... :smooched:

I spent an entire hour learning muscle groups I'd forgotten how to use.... I wasn't so great with my balance or poses at times, but who cares?!? I have to say it was one of the best exercise classes I've ever taken, simply because the instructor was patient enough to give "high" and "low" instructions for advanced and beginners....combine that with the beach air, smells, sounds, birds, blue sky, waves crashing, cool sand under a crisp white sheet... beautiful breeze....it was heaven! :heart: I was sore for two days, but it was soooooo worth it. I will definitely do it again the next time we stay there! :drinker:

If you have a chance, I absolutely recommend that you try it!

:smile: :flowerforyou:

Replies

• nyccvs
    nyccvs Posts: 2
    Options
    I found Yoga using PX90 and found it's a great way to recover after a long workout. ( Completely stretches out the muscles )
    Now i'm hooked!
  • princess_in_power
    princess_in_power Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I don't do Yoga for the "mind" or spiritual at all.

I LOVE how it stretches out your body. I love the physical aspect of it. And how it works to flatten and tone your muscles!

LOVE IT!!! :)

P.S. I'm jealous, I'd love a class on the beach!!!
  • emtink
    emtink Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    i've dabbled in yoga a little, and have some favorite poses. if i've been dancing a lot, i'll do a small series of poses before bed and it really helps me unwind. i'm not into the spiritual side either, but i do find a benefit in actively calming and clearing the mind.

yay for yoga!
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    First taste of yoga I had was Jillian Michael's Yoga Meltdown. All I can say is wow! Then P90X yoga - holy cow!! Love it but definitely shows me I have a long ways to go to get better balance. Great workout and am so glad I tried it! Yoga on the beach sounds wonderful and I'd love to try that :happy:
  • NaturalMom
    Options
    So happy for you! Way to go for reaching out of your comfort zone (on vacation no less!) and giving yourself some guiltless kid-free time! I LOVE yoga. I have been practicing for over a decade and still consider myself a beginner. I hope that you are able to continue enjoying practicing on your own or with others at a class in your hometown!
  • flipchickmc
    flipchickmc Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I didn't think I'd be a "yoga person" but now I can't imagine my workout routine without it. LOVE it!
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    Did you happen to ask the teacher what style he/she taught? Might be useful if you want to find a place near your house.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    I love it too. It really stretches those muscles and makes them feel good. I do Yoga before or after running and I haven't had any aches or pains in my legs at all.
  • bobcatsmom
    bobcatsmom Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    yup - now you know why I fell in love with the Les Mills BodyFlow classes - and enjoy the Body Training Systems Centergy classes!:love::love: :love: Neither are traditional yoga classes, but the moves, poses and music that change quarterly allow each of us to build up some confidence while we "stretch" ourselves with familiar but stronger moves, greater intensity as well as learning to release our minds and just let go. The only thing better than taking the classes is teaching them!:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: I'm sooooo glad that you gave it a try. And, just so you know, balance is THE hardest thing to achieve - it comes and goes on a daily basis and is always a challenge....even for folks that practice all the time. I would even venture a guess that yogis in training find this area to be extremely difficult to achieve with any consistency.:wink: HOORAY FOR YOU!!!:flowerforyou: :drinker: :flowerforyou: :drinker: :flowerforyou: :drinker: :flowerforyou: