Keto Diet

Options
Starting a Keto diet. I am looking for a mild excercise program as I think it will take a little time for my body to acclimate. Any suggestions? I am in good shape but I have a feeling the lack of carbs is going to zap my energy level initially.

Replies

• gmucciolo
    Options
    Hello. I've been doing keto for about a month now. In my induction period (for about 5-7 days), I felt very tired, unable to focus, and I experienced extreme cravings for sweets/bread/etc. But this is all normal, and feeling tired is normal, as your body is adjusting to a diet where you burn fat for energy instead of carbs.

I personally did not exercise during my first week or so of Keto, and spent most of my time focusing on what I was feeling, monitoring my food intake, resting because of nausea, etc. Another thing is in the induction period you will lose a LOT of electrolytes through water (aka peeing). I drank a gallon+ of water a day and supplemented with NUUN tablets, avocado with salt, broth, etc. Exercising will make you lose more electrolytes in this delicate period and thus I don't recommend it for the first week or so. Tip: if you feel nauseous during induction period, you need electrolytes and water.

After a bit your energy levels will rise - actually you will probably feel as though you have more energy than ever before. You will feel more focused, less exhausted/sick, etc and that is when I would start exercising again slowly. I would do mostly cardio at first and just gauge how you feel. Don't expect your stamina to be as high as it was before keto, at least initially. But after a few weeks I see no reason why you couldn't continue your typical work out routine. If you have more questions check out the reddit community intro to keto here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aiHSPoto_YqsNTDvL-g60nytMnyH-CJcCbiAx1IEUYM/edit?pli=1 and FAQ here: http://www.reddit.com/help/faqs/keto.
  • joedevine2000
    joedevine2000 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks...great advice. I am 3 weeks in now and have a good cardio workout going. It would not have worked the first week because of the changes in your body/diet. I am amazed at how quickly the pounds came off without being hungry.