1000 calories a day????

Options
2»

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I do an elliptical type machine at the gym (cybex), and after an hour it says I've burned 1200 calories. Even with entering my weight into the machine, I've been told that they are notoriously wrong. I count only 2/3 of the calories it tells me. I think a lot of people take machines and random calculators at face value. I'm fairly cheap, so I haven't gotten a HRM, but I've heard they are much better at figuring out what you burn.

I have a feeling a lot of people over-estimate what they burn. I also don't think it's necessary to strive for 1000 calorie burns unless you're doing something you love (I have gone for 5 hour hikes before. You want a laugh? Plug in 5 hours of cross-country hiking in MFP. That's ridiculously high.)
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    :embarassed: LOL I'm so.new to this! OK so by the end of the day on average one person Burns 2000 just from existing. ? This is so confusing lol

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

then read every other thread in the Eat, Train, Progress group

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress
  • yosheego
    Options
    honestly...it took time for me to burn over a 1,000 cals....my advice is to stick to the treadmill for a week or so and each time increase your time by 5 to 10mins...thats what i did on the elliptical.....now you cant get me off of it....but b4 i couldn't stay on 5mins without stopping... i just kept pushing myself and covered the timer so i won't look at it....i found that that makes it seem longer when u keep lookn at the timer.....but u can do it....
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Unless you were in shape before, it'll take some time to work up your stamina and strength. But just keep at it and also, make sure you are eating enough. Food = Energy. :)
  • Kagami_Taiga
    Kagami_Taiga Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Yeah, so there's a poster above that said "blah blah blah, I have someone on my list that's logged this, they're so overweight so it's not possible, therefore I call bull****", this isn't the direct quote by the way.

Ever heard of willpower or perseverance?

Photo2013-01-05191006_zpsf1507f3d.png

I was round about 280lbs when I did this.

Just because you can't, doesn't others can't. People like you seriously annoy me sometimes. As Howard Wollowitz says, "believe in magic you muggle", and this one is a direct quote.

Reminds me of something a friend shown me once. A picture of a girl with the captions saying something like, "ignore the voices of people that say you can't do something, just because they won't doesn't mean you can't".

Rant over.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I have someone on my friends list who constantly burns 1400+ cals doing 150+ mins of "walking very brisk pace 4mph" I call bull**** - no-one can keep up that pace for an hour, especially someone as overweight as she claims to be.

Why? 4 miles an hour, or 15 minutes per mile is brisk walking pace. Not excessive at all, especially if you have long legs. My walking pace is slightly less than that, but then again I am only 4 ft 11.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    OK so I get the idea that I have to burn more Cal. Than I eat in order to lose weight.. that makes sense. BUT I burn 300 on the treadmill and that nearly kills my legs, how in the name of everything holy do people burn off 1000 + a day? Or even burn off more than they eat? I'm lost

They cut 500 calories from their diet and burn 500 in exercise. Be sure to warm up thoroughly before you start the workout proper - ten minutes low impact easy pace. Don't stick to one intensity or one machine, mix it up so you hit different muscles or different parts of muscles, so you work harder and easier harder and easier throughout the workout (active recovery). As you become fitter it will be easier to work at higher intensities and burn more calories.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    I have someone on my friends list who constantly burns 1400+ cals doing 150+ mins of "walking very brisk pace 4mph" I call bull**** - no-one can keep up that pace for an hour, especially someone as overweight as she claims to be.

That is perfectly possible - I have had plenty of overweight even obese clients walking at 4mph on the treadmill and I always add an incline. I don't have them do an hour, they switch machines but work just as hard on something else. Occasionally I've known obese plus people run half and even full marathons. That person on your friends list may well not have done it all in one session or gone at the same pace the entire workout just averaged it out.
  • sajane040972
    sajane040972 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    you should eat at least 1200 calories a day

Try this;

A classic calculation for determining one’s metabolic rate is the Harris Benedict Equation. It may seem like quite a bit of math, but it’s really rather simple to complete:

BMR Calculation for Women: 655 + (4.35 × weight in pounds) + (4.7 × height in inches) – (4.7 × age in years)

BMR Calculation for Men: 66 + (6.23 × weight in pounds) + (12.7 × height in inches) – (6.76 × age in years)

The number you calculate is the amount of calories it’d take to maintain your current weight based on your age, height, weight, gender. So if weight loss is your goal, try to cut out anywhere from 200 to 500 calories per day to achieve a 0.5- to 1-pound weight loss per week.
  • Danni3ll3
    Danni3ll3 Posts: 365 Member
    Options

I beg to differ! A friend and I walked a half of a marathon at that pace (Yes we walked the whole way). I am 54 and she is 65 so don't say that no-one can keep up that pace for an hour when we did it for 3 and half hours!
  • Kagami_Taiga
    Options

Try this;

A classic calculation for determining one’s metabolic rate is the Harris Benedict Equation. It may seem like quite a bit of math, but it’s really rather simple to complete:

BMR Calculation for Women: 655 + (4.35 × weight in pounds) + (4.7 × height in inches) – (4.7 × age in years)

BMR Calculation for Men: 66 + (6.23 × weight in pounds) + (12.7 × height in inches) – (6.76 × age in years)

The number you calculate is the amount of calories it’d take to maintain your current weight based on your age, height, weight, gender. So if weight loss is your goal, try to cut out anywhere from 200 to 500 calories per day to achieve a 0.5- to 1-pound weight loss per week.

I question this equation a bit. It's said that the average male should be living on 2500 calories per day (UK, not sure about US and rest of the world). It says I maintain on 2136. Can that be right?

I mean, obviously these equations are never 100% right, I know that. But I'd assume it would be a much higher number.
  • erinpooh
    Options
    I aim for 1000+ calories burned when I'm not travelling and can go to my own gym before work. I do this on the Stair Master doing at least 70 minutes at level 15 or 16. I do it because I love the sense of accomplishment and working up a good sweat at a good pace is pretty cathartic and a great way to start the day. Also, I'm determined to make my goal and this is working for me right now.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options

Try this;

No. That's your BMR not your TDEE (maintenance calories)

It's what your body would use if you were asleep for 24 hrs and does not figure in your daily activity or exercise. you are missing out the activity multiplier.

2 people could have the same BMR but would have totally different TDEE if one person was a couch potato and the other a waitress who goes to the gym after work.

To determine your total daily calorie needs, multiply your BMR by the appropriate activity factor, as follows:

If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
    If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
    If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
    If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
    If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

Then you can take off your required defict.
  • Kagami_Taiga
    Options

Try this;

No. That's your BMR not your TDEE (maintenance calories)

It's what your body would use if you were asleep for 24 hrs and does not figure in your daily activity or exercise. you are missing out the activity multiplier.

2 people could have the same BMR but would have totally different TDEE if one person was a couch potato and the other a waitress who goes to the gym after work.

To determine your total daily calorie needs, multiply your BMR by the appropriate activity factor, as follows:

If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
    If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
    If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
    If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
    If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

Then you can take off your required defict.

Yeah, I keep thinking that's only RMR. Technically makes it worse for me, It puts at 2560 maintaining. Which would mean I'm destined to be this weight :'-( :))

Gym every other day by the look of thing, for ever.
  • Sizethree4Ever
    Sizethree4Ever Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I aim for 1000+ calories burned when I'm not travelling and can go to my own gym before work. I do this on the Stair Master doing at least 70 minutes at level 15 or 16. I do it because I love the sense of accomplishment and working up a good sweat at a good pace is pretty cathartic and a great way to start the day. Also, I'm determined to make my goal and this is working for me right now.

This!!!

I normally burn 1000 calories every day on my treadmill, however i only log 600 just because the machines tend to over calculate calorie burn.
    I started with about 10-15 min each time and over time i built it up. When i am too tired, or i don`t have enough time , i do it in 2-segments.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Certain exercises can burn up to that (though it depends on if you're able to make it daily), but swimming and rock climbing are two that definitely bump the calories, regardless of heavier weight or not.
  • erinpooh
    Options
    I log all the calories because I do a higher level on the machine, and I never eat back all those calories anyway.