p90x/Insanity??

I wanna try Insanity. Ive tried p90x(only for a while) but I really dont like the yoga. I guess I will have to get used to it. But my question is, are there any women, between 5'4 and 5'5 and weigh between 220-240lbs that have done either of the two and have seend results. When I look at reviews for insanity, the people already seem slim. Thanks

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    I'm a guy, so I can't answer your real question(s), but I *can* address one point.

If you don't like the Yoga, don't do it. Just do the X-Stretch, instead. That's what I did a couple of times I didn't have 90 minutes - only about 60.
  • darbobo
    darbobo Posts: 53
    I agree, I hate yoga. So I just sub it out for another of the workouts. I love the plyometrics so I will normally just do it on yoga day
  • Ok thanks!!!
  • I'm starting this on Mon for my morning workouts as an after-holidays boost. Interested to see if it lives up to the hype but it looks pretty intense!
  • My brother plyo dvd doesnt read, so I decided to do cardio x, but I wanna try the kempo but my sis said its too hard and that discouraged me...
  • bellevie86
    bellevie86 Posts: 301 Member
    I feel ya, i tried P90 and got really bored within 3 weeks. I also really did not like the yoga. I'm the type who just wants to go hard and get it over with. I'm on day 5 of Insanity and I really like it compared to p90x. It Doesn't have a ton of yoga and it's over so quick you don't really pay attention to the time. I also find he breaks it up well because you start off building up your heart rate then you slow down for stretch and then go again. I like the break in between. I'm about 174 right now and I just started so i can't tell you about success yet but I can tell you i prefer it as a person who's tried both ;)
  • (Insanity that is)
  • bellevie86
    Another note: If you look at the people in Insanity (the girls i mean) they're leaner and slimmer, whereas the girls is p90x are a little more buff than I'd like to be. I think that Insanity is where it's at to trim an then p90x is good to build and sculpt after, but that's just me !!!
  • Kenpo is probably the easiest one - the stretching is a little more intense but other than that you're pretty much just kicking and punching - no bending down or jumping around. I liked that one a lot - always made me feel like a bad *kitten* because I pretended to be punching a bad guy lol
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Doing any form of high impact activity when you're overweight by a significant amount is bad. Period. You WILL shorten the life of your joints. Stick to LOW IMPACT exercise.
  • bellevie86
    I agree. It's probably a blessing you couldn't start with Plyo cause i started with that and let's just say for three days i had to hold on to the tub to sit down on the toilet lol.
  • bellevie86
    When i started my journey I started out with an eliptical, and was 202 pounds and i'm 5"7. It's pretty low impact and you can burn a good amount of calories. I know it sounds boring but i lost 20 pounds just doing that 40 mins 5 days a week!! You gotta start somewhere right?
  • I hate plyo - i tried once and not only did I feel my back fat jiggle when I jumped but it was really hard on my ankles. It made me feel bad so I replaced it with cardio x so that it was a little bit of plyo but also yoga and kenpo.
  • When i started my journey I started out with an eliptical, and was 202 pounds and i'm 5"7. It's pretty low impact and you can burn a good amount of calories. I know it sounds boring but i lost 20 pounds just doing that 40 mins 5 days a week!! You gotta start somewhere right?

I love the elliptical as well - I always sweat and burn a bunch of calories. I suppose it doesn't hurt that the machine is in front of the tv so whenever I go I can switch the channel to one of my shows and the time just flies by. :-)
  • Thanks!! Well, Im 5'4 and 230lbs now and I really really really wanna get down to 150-155. I played sports in high school(over six years ago) and I havent been really active since then. I guess I can start in my aprartment complex's fitness center on the elliptical then. Is the treadmill really efficient??
  • bellevie86
    Yeah i love it, I was doing it at the gym but I also had one that i bought 3 yrs ago and never used, lol. It's in my living room, i like to put on the satellite music channels and just go!
  • bellevie86
    Well treadmills are higher impact. I find it a little hard on the knees. I find I burn more on elliptical, but just to switch it up I go back n forth between the two!
  • bellevie86
    And you can do it! I lost those first 20 pounds relatively easy. Any little change when you have a significant amount to lose like i did will make an impact. Just make sure your diet corresponds. If you have an Iphone there's an app called MyPlate. It's a calorie counter. It lets you input everything from water intake, food intake and calories from that food, and exercise. If you get it punch in all your info of where you are now to where youd like to be and those will give you your settings and recommendations. It's really helped me and it tracks your progress. Kepps you accountable. You can input the calories directly from the box or whatever you're eating or if you don't know the value you can search it up and get a rough idea of what you're taking in!