Women 35+: What is Your Fitness Routine?

Options
2»

Replies

• C_Stretton
    C_Stretton Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I'll be 38 next month. I work a full time job and have a second part time job.

I box 2-3 times a week and do strength training 2 times a week. Depending on my energy levels, I'll throw in a little extra cardio here and there. In the upcoming weeks, I also plan on snowboarding one day a week--we finally got some good snow.

Right now I'm working on maintaining.
  • lct76
    lct76 Posts: 3
    Options
    I just turned 36 with 2 kids that are into sports year round (very hard to find time to do anything else). I take Zumba three times a week for 60 min each class. I want to learn to "run".. I feel like I am still too overweight to even start trying. I have about 20 more pounds to my goal weight. Any suggestions?
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    I'm 37. Walk my dogs daily, also am on level 3 of 30 day shred, which i mix up with something like banish fat boost metabolism, or some random tae bo clip off youtube. I am in better shape now than i was a few years ago!
  • cheri0627
    cheri0627 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I'm 37, work full time M-F

I do CrossFit 3-4x a week
    I run one day a week (very slowly. I can walk faster.)
    right now I'm doing Olympic weightlifting 1 day every 2 weeks. I'd like it to be more than that, but there is just no time that fits into my schedule when I can lift because of when open gym is.
  • azwen
    azwen Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I'm 45. My usual schedule is: Mon./Wed./Fri. do weight lifting followed by 30-60 min. of cardio. Tuesdays I take a one hour horseback riding lesson. I just tried Zumba and loved it, so I hope to start going to Zumba every week. There's a yoga class at the gym that I like, too; I may start alternating Zumba and yoga. I have thought about getting back into using Wii Fit and getting Zumba for the Wii; they might be fun to get a little extra exercise when it's not convenient to go out. I also want to get back into hiking more; I used to hike very week, but haven't lately.

I have a 16-year-old son that I homeschool; sometimes he comes to the gym with me, and sometimes he stays at home at does schoolwork while I go.
  • mjbell642
    mjbell642 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Hi there Lily...
    Almost 52 here.
    I make use of the company provided Gym. Feel very lucky to have it available to me and it makes the difference for me.

Monday - Friday ---- 6:15am. I have to do it in the morning. I find too many excuses if I try to do it after work.
    Mix of cardio and weight / strength training.
    Treadmill running C25K - 2 days a week
    Elliptical for warm up and then Strength Train / 3 days
    I used to take Spin 1 of my days, but that class has been cancelled.
    Strength train is a combination of free weight and body weight exercises...
    Dead lifts
    Bicep curls
    Tricep extensions or Tricep Dips
    Squats or Lunges
    Bench step ups (with ankle weights)
    Bench press
    Assisted chin ups
    Push ups or Planks or Plank twist
    Mix it up a bit at times

Saturday Run outside C25K. I completed it, but am REALLY slow so just continue to work on it.
    Sunday Usually an easy walk with Hubby and Dog.

I made goal weight last year, but told I was scrawny, so need to build up the muscle.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I'm 38, have a full time job and married with two kids. I hit the gym 5 times a week first thing in the morning. So during the week that's between 5 and 5:30 and on Saturday about 7/7:30. My routine is 3 or 4 days of lifting (was doing 3, then 4 now back to 3) and than another day or two of cardio. I mix up the cardio so it might occasionally be a spin class, treadmill, elliptical, stair climber thingy or just the bike.
  • kborton1122
    kborton1122 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I'm 40 y.o. mom to a teenager and work full time. I am also close to goal weight. I workout at the gym 5 days a week, usually on my own, but did just finish a 6 week bootcamp with a trainer. My routine is in the evenings M T W Th Sat for an hour each session. I usually get in 30 minutes of cardio (running, octane lateral or arc trainer). Then 30 minutes of either weight training or circuit training.
  • kborton1122
    kborton1122 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Sorry, double posted.
  • Callalili
    Callalili Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm 38, 2 kids (8 and 10), work at home part time. I am about 1 week away from completing my first round of P90X. Before that, I completed 2 rounds of Supreme 90, which is very similar but shorter workouts. Before that, it was hikes, bike rides, and misc videos. I have not lost much doing P90X, after the holidays where I crapped on eating well, I only have a net loss of 3ish pounds. But I have gained muscle and lost inches.

I'm not sure what to do next, either another round of P90X or Insanity (which will probably help more with weight loss, still want to lose 10+ pounds, but I'm afraid of losing the muscle I've gained over the last 9 months) or a hybrid of the 2.
  • marjoleina
    marjoleina Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I am 47. Work 0.6 FTE in 2 12 hr days. I do 30 mins eliptical daily, pilates x2 week, body pump x2 week and step for 30 minutes x2 week.
    I am working on losing, but am currently stuck
  • lilylight
    lilylight Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all who posted -- it's helpful to see the variety of routines out there. I'm 53, in a couple but no children; work full time or more-than-full-time hours with flexibility of hours. I work in the evenings a lot, at home. I've come to the conclusion that I need to NOT be so flexible when it comes to exercise times -- need to introduce some structure and have regular work out times or it won't get done!
  • xilka
    xilka Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I'm 37, 5'0, 122lbs.

Monday and Thursday - Jillian Michaels 30dayShred, and a walk or 15mins of Zumba
    Tuesday and Friday - Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism 50 minute workout, twice a week.
    Wednesday and Saturday - Fitness Blender lo-impact, butt and thighs, standing abs - 50 minutes

I aim to burn 300-400 calories a day,
    and rest day on Sunday which usually involves some leisurely walking and swimming.