Subway???

Options
My question is: do you think replacing one of my now "crappy" meals for Subway will help me "jump" start my weight lose? Also, if I replace one of my meals with a sensible salad, that has got to help...right? Of course, along with exercise!

Replies

• Crayvn
    Crayvn Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    My question is: do you think replacing one of my now "crappy" meals for Subway will help me "jump" start my weight lose? Also, if I replace one of my meals with a sensible salad, that has got to help...right? Of course, along with exercise!

as long as your staying within your calories and macros you will be fine.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    There is no "jump start" to weight loss. You just start. It depends on what food goes in and what you're willing to do that will determine the change you see in your body. Sure, there are somewhat better options at subway, but it's all about choices.
  • waskier
    waskier Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I eat Subway all of the time with great success. With that said, the haters are about to appear!
  • katekross
    katekross Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    eating right is the first thing!! how about not going to subway and making a healthy meal at home?
  • Blinx99
    Blinx99 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'd avoid subway

Why don't u start with balanced meals

Chicken, tuna, salad

It make Ur own healthier subs at home as u know exactly what u letting in

I actually love subway! But think some of their options are full of high carbs
  • laurendaniel719
    Options
    I really like subway because of all the vegetable options, I always load my sandwiches full of everything. Haha.
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    Options
    The general consensus will be that Subway is loaded with sodium and other crap and is no better than having a Big Mac because calories are all that matter.

BUT

In reality (my reality, anyway) making a habit of replacing a junk meal with a better one - even if it's not a great one - can have huge psychological impact and lead to making even better choices. If you go light on the processed meats and cheeses and stick to a lot of veggies, Subway isn't a bad choice.

Good luck!
  • thisisiamj
    thisisiamj Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong w/ subway. I go there when I forget to bring work to lunch. However, it's much cheaper to must buy your own sandwich materials to make @ home. I think the best way to 'jump start' any change in lifestyle is just to take it one step @ a time... small changes!
  • inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Love subway! Just watch for hidden calories like dressing and sauces and you should be good to go!
  • Crayvn
    Crayvn Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    o yeah..and here is a link to the same question posted just the other day :)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/834562-thoughts-on-subway
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    You could make your own sandwiches at home :) that way you know how fresh the ingredients are and you will have more topping options and breads/wraps options.
  • rraile
    rraile Posts: 1
    Options
    I eat at Subway 3X per week. You need to be careful wiht what you order. Most sandwiches are healthly. Skip the cheese or get one slice insterad of 2. Go light on the condimnets oil, or mustard (no Mayo) . I do light oil and honey mustard or light balsamic vinger. If you get chips go with the baked lays ...no soda. Good Luck!
  • AlexandriaKathryn
    Options
    If you decide on going to Subway, get one of the whole grain bread selections, a lean meat, lots of veggies, and mustard of vinegar as your dressing. Something low calorie and low in fat.
  • 1987RFS
    1987RFS Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but yeah, probably. As long as what you get from Subway isn't as crappy as what what you usually eat. Same deal with the salad. Don't just smother your salad with beef, fried chicken and fatty dressing.

Also, you could probably make a sandwich just as good or better than a Subway sandwich. And if you plan to eat sandwiches a lot it would be more economical too. Anyway, good luck with your weight loss.
  • cathdrew2
    cathdrew2 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    There are good choices and not-so-good choices at Subway. What are you trying to accomplish with Subway? Are you in a small town and this is the only place to get a vegetable at lunch time? Is it convenient? Does the price appeal? For simple, fast and controlled I prefer frozen dinners for lunch time: Amy's is my favorite line with low sodium options, mostly organic ingredients, mostly high in protein and fiber, and lots of flavorful options. At 300-400 calories they let me have a mid-morning and mid-afternoon snack, too; if you need more pair them with a fruit. 5 minutes in the microwave means they are fast. Taking 5 with you on Monday to work means they are convenient. At $3-4 each (WalMart) they are less expensive than Subway. I love a veggie on wheat, hold the cheese, mustard only, when I find myself there.
  • Gwenski
    Gwenski Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    At subway, I skip the bun and just have them make all my sub ingredients into a salad...they do that and everything is nicely chopped with a thing that looks like a pastry blender. Then I can either have one of their dressings or eat it naked
    Sure wish they sold some small breadsticks though or a low fat low sodium pack of crackers..sometimes I splurge and have a small bag of baked lays and split with hubby..lout seriously..couldn't they carry Melba toast along with the chips and cookies?
  • Pacileo4Evers
    Pacileo4Evers Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I work/ eat at subway everyday, as long as you stay in the fresh fit guidelines there is nothing wrong with subway. everything is super fresh! you run into trouble if you stray to a gourmet bread like herb& cheese and if you add dressings to the sandwich like mayo or chipotle south west. than you will run up your calories and fat fast :) but they have a fresh fit menu that breaks down all the nutritional info for you to make a healthy decision. just ask :o) also they do 3', yougurt, apples, and salads as well :)
  • PipBnz
    PipBnz Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have it as an alternative to Mcdonalds etc which i stopped having 2 or 3 months ago when i started cleaning up my diet. But for me its a treat because i like to have my sub with condiments....and bacon...those together adds on 200-250 calories or more....
    It hasn't on it's own helped me start losing weight, but dropping the fast food and starting exercising regularly sure has :)
  • Tina2Cats
    Tina2Cats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I love subway and it is still healthier than other fast foods, but I can see what others are saying about sodium. You can pick and choose how your sub is made. I love to load up on veggies. I ask for low cal mayo and I still love oil & vinegar.

Yes, it's better to make your own sandwiches and salads at home, but you can't go wrong with subway.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    I don't eat at subway, but part of my weighloss diet change was to have cold cut sandwiches for lunch instead of other options, so similar idea. It works for me in that it results in eating less. I usually have either turkey or ham on rye bread and with 2 slices of cheddar cheese. according to mfp that's around 430 calories.

I hate mayo or anything mayo based, so that's easy for me to avoid.