a couple of things - any advice welcome :-)

Options
Hi There

Today I got my mum to measure my body and about nearly every bit of it has lost either 1/2 or 1/4 inch off it yet the scales say im slightly heavier than i was a few months ago how is this possible??? I havent weighed myself in over a week as i just get frustrated too im sticking to my calories every day is under i exceed my cals burned every week and exercise minutes yet i could weigh in a 1lb - 2lb heavier one week then the same lighter the next its totaly condusing me!!

Also im doing a 10k in September and would love any advice on what i should be doing training wise in the gym? I know i should be building up my running on Tredmill but anything else to work on would be fab!

Thanks!

Replies

• SkyeBows
    SkyeBows Posts: 80
    Options
    Muscle weighs more then fat :O)
  • vicidoesstuff
    vicidoesstuff Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Running in the gym is different than running outside. I find it's harder to run outside, for some reason. You should probably try comparing the two.
  • maz81
    maz81 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    i find the best time to weigh urself is first thing in the morning.
    also have a look at ur salt intake and try and lower it cos salt can make u retain water so although ur losing the inches the scales can kinda lie cos the water retention cos of the salt will show up on the scales.
    i read somewhere that 1g of salt can make u retain 1litre of water and that = 2lbs on the scales!!!

921545.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • workoutqueen628
    Options
    As for running tips, I would build up speed on the treadmill and get in the mileage outside. I find that if I set the treadmill to a certain speed & have the right music to listen to, I can push myself (and go faster than when I am on the trails outside). With that as a foundation, take it outside, and focus on distance as well as bursts of speed. Good luck! Hoping to run a 10k soon as well!!
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more then fat :O)

Lol, not quite. 1 pound of muscle weighs 1 pound. 1 pound of fat weighs 1 pound.

However 1 pound of muscle takes up much less room than 1 pound of fat. Picture in link:

http://www.onemorebite-weightloss.com/muscle-to-fat.html

The cool thing about muscle is it naturally burns more calories than fat just sitting on your butt. A smaller you is what your after, not a lighter you. Put away the scale for a while if it gets you down. If the tape measure stops showing progress then maybe it's time to get concerned.
  • scotslass
    scotslass Posts: 317
    Options
    Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply to my post it means alot!

I will put the scales away for a bit as I refuse to let numbers take away how good im feeling, its amazing that a number can change your feeling from on top of the world to right down in the dumps! no more of that, I will go by my measurements for a while

xx