Tips to Stop Thinking About Food?

Options
Does anyone have any good tips to stop thinking about food? I'm trying to keep busy but ALL I think about is food. I need some serious help!

Replies

• deedawn213
    Options
    Start a journal. As soon as you start thinking about food, grab your journal and start writing. You will be surprised what feelings you will put on paper that you would never say outloud and even give yourself the opportunity to think. Your goals will start to show in your writing and food will drift from your thoughts. By the way, I lost 87 lbs. 5 years ago and journaling helped me lose and maintain my weight more than anything. Good luck to you!
  • notenoughspeed
    notenoughspeed Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    That is a difficult one. I too face those challenges some days. I try to keep my mind occupied. If I am alone at home, and food is on my mind, I go for a walk, or a bike ride. Getting the heart pumping, usually helps me curb my cravings.
  • lamby284
    lamby284 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I play dorky computer games or listen to music. Im almost always listening to music and it distracts me from food well.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Occupy yourself with something like-painting, writing, exercise, doing a favorite hobby, building something, etc.

I would say key point is to not be bored and let your mind wander.
  • G__Force
    G__Force Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I slam down a couple classes of water then go find something else to do. after about 10 minutes i dont feel hunger so i quit thinking about it.:wink:
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Make a cup of tea -- by the time it is brewed and drunk the fixation passes

Take a walk - 10 minutes a few times a day adds up

Do some stretching, try meditation.

Where is your calorie goal set - if its too low you will likely be fixated on food.as your body begs for good nutrition.

Good info at these links

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/717858-spreadsheet-bmr-tdee-and-deficit-calcs-macros-hrm
  • Filletsteak
    Filletsteak Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Keep moving. Walking helps. It uses up calories you can eat when you get home, especially if you've been out to buy healthy food. Yes, it's tough, but look at clothes, books, films, listen to music (dance and sing!), online stuff - recipes, forums etc. Think about how you can 'cheat' - low-cal soups, meals and whatever gets you results! Thinking about food isn't a bad thing - we all need food. I think about steak and garlic....... yum, yum, yum.
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    When I have something "eating at me" hahaha like thinking about food, I have a plan
    I decide in advance what I will think about instead. Like planning a trip, my fantasy dream home, a home project, whatever. Then every time I catch myself thinking about the unwanted subject, I switch to the planned subjects.
    This has helped me, not only with food, but unwanted relationship and work thoughts. (I also do jigsaw puzzles and read to change the mental subject.)
  • cmitro
    cmitro Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks for all the great tips everyone! These help so much.
  • DuhhMuffin
    Options
    I don't recommend this first part, but when I first started losing weight, I picked up smoking to keep my mouth busy. When I thought I could go by Taco Bell without getting anything, I stopped smoking and picked up chewing gum.
  • FeliciaGM
    FeliciaGM Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Brush your teeth!!!! I Got this advice just a couple of days ago and I have been brushing the heck out of um every since. No one likes to eat after brushing your teeth. It has really helped me kick my snacking and my teeth have never felt better!! As soon as you finish eating is the best time to brush.
  • Brown_Eyed_Beauty
    Brown_Eyed_Beauty Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    So many good suggestions. Thanks all. I've been having that trouble too. Food is on my brain and I need it off :-/
  • Bobtheangrytomato
    Bobtheangrytomato Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I cook. Find a recipe for something healthy that you can snack on.