Preventing overtraining

Options
Hi All
Thanks for looking.
I have got back into workouts hard after an absence and slight weight gain but have managed to put more weight on, often feel as though I'm going to faint when I stand up and my mood (which swings anyway) is dropping.

I'm sort of hoping I'm over training although I don't think I do that much really.

Is it possible to workout 6 days a week without it being pointless?
I've put weight on round my middle - only a bit- but clothes are tight and I know we just had Christmas.

I've worked out every day since Xmas eve, excluding one day, I think - yet I am definitely hoarding fat. I'm not new to this and realise its only been a couple of weeks - which is nothing - but could I be working out too much?

I generally jog about a mile and a half, cycle about 5k, sometimes cross train for about 10 minutes and then stretch, squats, sit ups and sometimes spend a few minutes throwing a kettle bell around. I cool down with a walk.
I average around 420 calories a day.

Any advice appreciated.
Lost 26 lb using mfp 2 years ago and have been here ever since. Am currently back up 10 lbs.

Thank you again for reading

Amanda

Replies

• mumof5
    mumof5 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    what are you eating? how many cals are you eating? are you sleeping? what exercise did you do before christmas?
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    A variety of different factors contribute to overtraining.

It's definitely possible to workout 6 days a week with out it being pointless and without obtaining injuries provided your eating enough and resting enough to support your level of physical activity. I usually never do more than 3 days in a row of training (especially cardio) as it spikes my cortisol levels up and I have trouble sleeping and I get irritated really easily.
  • blueraidermike
    Options
    Burning 420 cals a day for 6 days a week isn't over training. Most of the time is cal in minus cals out..if you have gained 10 lbs, I would suggest going back to what you did when you lost 26 lbs...if that doesn't work go visit your doc.
  • nguk123
    nguk123 Posts: 223
    Options
    Based on what you erote, I doubt its 'overtraining', in the traditional sense of what that means. If you are not fit enough, to cope with the moderate workouts you have scheduled for yourself, it may make sense to do less and spread them out, while you push for your performance to improve in the sessions, and then schedule greating frequency having built a better base of fitness. Also if you are suffering anything chronic, you should go see a doctor.
  • MissTomGettingThin
    MissTomGettingThin Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Thanks all.
    I am quite fit, in the sense that I have a lot of stamina and can lift reasonable weight.

The ten pounds was over a long time. I should have said that.
    Only about 4 lb recently.

If I remember correctly I think the faintness might have occurred when I first started working out again two years ago, so maybe it's just my body adjusting.

Thank you for the responses and reassurances.

If nothing changes, ill mention it to the GP on my next visit.

Amanda
  • jjscholar
    jjscholar Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I am not the person to ask...

I like to work out 4-5 days per week for at least 90 minutes per day... I always feel guilty when I have to take more than two days off...