5k and losing weight

Options
I'm currently signed up for a 5k, (my first), and I'm trying to lose 30lbs. However, I've been getting some comments on well meaning friends who say that maybe I should focus on the weight loss, and that I might be too out of shape. I've been working out since November, and just dieting as well a few days a go. Am I trying to do too much at once? I've been running since December, and I can do 2.25 miles in 30 minutes. I'm hoping by April, I can do my 5k, but if you have any advice for me, I would love to hear it. Hopefully, I can reach all of my goals.

Replies

• batgirlmama
    batgirlmama Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Running, I have discovered is the fastest way for me personally to get in shape. I started running about 6 months ago and was doing about a 14-15 minutes mile. Yes, that would be running. I have now done a 5k in 37 minutes and an 8k in 58. I'm slow, yes, but I love running! And I plan to continue to do it when I get pregnant.

Start running and the weight will (most likely) fall off.

And speaking of your friends, there is a quote that comes to mind - "At first they will wonder why you did it, and they they will ask how you did it."
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Go for it. You will be glad you did.
  • Maelay
    Maelay Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Today I ran/walked 3.1 miles today in 41 minutes! Now I just want to get that time down as well as my weight haha.
  • polarberry022
    polarberry022 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You can DEFINITELY do a 5k by April or even before that. 5k is a super manageable distance for runners/walkers of all levels. I have done a bunch & there are people of all shapes and sizes, 15 minute finishers and 50 minute finishers. Go for it ... it will only complement your weight loss goals!
  • nbischoff15
    Options
    Go for the 5K!! Running is a great activity. Even if you are still run/walking by April - who cares? :) I have been running for a year, and am slow like a turtle.... and even my last 5K I ended up doing some run/walk intervals. The important part is to have fun with it.
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Go for it! I did my first 5k before I started trying to lose weight last Oct. I mostly walked but I finished in like 50 minutes. (don't really remember the exact time)
  • nbischoff15
    Options
    By the way... 41 minutes is a great time. If a 'fast walk' is considered 4mph and 15 minute miles - you were going faster than that on average. Great job!
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Start now! I didn't and 70 pounds later really wish i had...

When i began running in August 2012 I could "run" a mile in something like 18 minutes (a bit of jogging and a lot of walking). I did my first 5k in late October and my pace was less than 11 minutes per mile (no walking!!). I ran 4 days a week to train on a runkeeper.com training plan that suggested 4 runs a week varying from 2 - 6 miles at a time (but 6 miles didn't show up until week 10 of the plan). By the time I got there, I could do it and you will be able to too! Keep it up and best of luck!!
  • hookandy
    hookandy Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    If you can run 2.25 you only need to run another .85 and you are done. The buzz of the day will drag you round that.

You can do this. A few extra training runs and you will be wondering why you ever doubted yourself. Go for it!
  • chaNyn613
    chaNyn613 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I don't have any advice but I do have an opinion. Keep focused on the 5K- you will feel so good when you can say you completed your first 5k and that will add motivation to continue your weightloss goal. Happy running!
  • lsmsrbls
    lsmsrbls Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Um, the comments from your friends are ridiculous. That's like saying, "Why are you reading ****ens? You should be preparing for your English Literature exam!"

Good luck on your 5k and with your training. I hope you have an awesome time!
  • WrenStory
    WrenStory Posts: 103
    Options
    As long as you're not in actual pain or hurting yourself you are probably just fine to keep doing it. Not sure why they are telling you this... maybe just trying to be helpful? If you like running, it helps you get in shape, and you are relatively pain free... go for it.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    You've got this! You'll find people saying stupid stuff to you all the way, And most of it actually isn't ill-meant. Some of the things you will hear are based in jealousy, but most stem from ignorance. If you enjoy it and you are physically capable, don't let anyone/anything stand in your way! As for gaining the extra time, I think you've got it in the bag. I've found my distance gains have come quick, and a lot of it is mental.
  • nguk123
    nguk123 Posts: 223
    Options
    I've been running since December, and I can do 2.25 miles in 30 minutes. I'm hoping by April, I can do my 5k
    Totally achievable, a good goal. Go for it, finish strong !
  • Cheval13
    Cheval13 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    You can definitely do it! If you've already done 2.2, 5 K won't be a problem! As for losing weight while you run, that can be a bit tricky, especially the closer you get to your goal weight. Make sure you find a good balance between energy output and input... but it's not too hard, and you can do it!
  • joettabowman
    Options
    Do the 5 K!! I walk 5 and 10 Ks, and so long as you don't have any health problems, you'll do fine. If you are already running over 2 miles, and the the 5 K is in April, you will be ready. When I walked my first 5K I was only walking 3 miles once a wk at a mall, and the 5K I walked in was up and down hills. Terrain makes a big difference, I was tired at the end but so glad that I did it that I participated in 11 other walk/races last year. You will be so proud of yourself when you finish, do it!
  • Mteach1
    Mteach1 Posts: 22
    Options
    You can do it! I am training for a half marathon in March and just started training about 6 weeks ago. I run slow too, but my goal each day I run is to not have to walk and so far I haven't! It is totally a mental thing and I am training alone and running outside in the cold, snowy weather in Michigan. Keep at it! You will feel awesome after you finish the race!!!
  • joettabowman
    Options
    Don't worry about your time yet, which seems pretty good anyway. Just get out there and enjoy it!
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I lost 20 lbs during the C25K program.
  • stephanie40403
    stephanie40403 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I weigh 206lbs, I just recently started trying seriously to lose weight.
    I did 15 5k's last year, fastest one was 49 minutes, but you know what I don't care, the point is, I did them, and I was proud of myself for doing them.
    My new years resolution last year was to do 12 5ks, I did 15.

Do it, walk it, run it, do what ever but do it, you will love it!