Metabolic Research Center

Options
Has anyone tried it? My doctor has recommended it as something to try but I am unfamiliar with it.

Replies

• geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Various things can be tested at a MRC. I'm suspecting your doctor suggests you test your Resting Metabolic Rate, though, to determine your baseline calorie needs not including exercise activity, thermic effect of food, and non-exercise activity.

Most people don't know what their actual RMR and TDEE is. Without knowing, they are leaving room for greater error in estimating proper calorie needs. With that said, it is useful to know, rather than rely on prediction formulas due to individual differences and decline in RMR as a response to previous or current calorie restriction. If you are in a calorie deficit, your RMR will likely be lower which will impact the TDEE value in the end. Therefore, it should be viewed more or less as your adjusted RMR.

I think it's valuable for those in particular who have restricted calories chronically for some time and/or yo-yo dieted and never allowed their RMR to recover to optimal levels.
  • momjmd
    momjmd Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    She actually recommended the Metabolic Research Center-- it is a weight loss center but I don't know anything else about it.
  • kaseymo
    kaseymo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I did this a few years ago. I lost a lot of weight, really fast. I'm talking sometimes 3 pounds a DAY!!! Typically I lost about 5 pounds a week. I think I went from 180 to 155 in about 6 or 7 weeks, if memory serves. However, the moment you stop, you gain weight back, and quickly! And, I'm not saying that you stop and just start eating Big Macs. Just going to a normal diet did that to me. In all fairness, I didn't make it all the way to the final step of the diet that adds food back in. After I did the diet, I did more research and found that there really can be some serious risks. Super fast weight loss can cause your gall bladder to fail, which mine did. I'm not blaming MRC or anything, I'm just saying it could have exacerbated the unknown problems with my gall bladder? If you are hardcore enough to complete it, and not cheat then maybe it would work for you. I had several friends do it in the same year I did. They all lost weight at first, then gained back more than they lost. That could just be an example of low self control though ; ) (Myself included in that!) So, in a roundabout way, I'm trying to say make sure you fully educate yourself and learn the risks. I still remember the first 4 day meal plan for the group I started in. For breakfast, you had 1 egg and 1 piece of low calorie toast and a half an orange. I believe you could also have 1 ounce of cheese. Then, a protein drink. For lunch, it was 8 ounces of uncooked veggies (which is TON of veggies!) with 2 ounces of cheese and a drink. Dinner was 4 ounces of lean protein from a specific list, 4 ounces of cooked veggies, 4 ounces of raw veggies and a low calorie carb. And another drink. Not a lot of food, but this was the worst of it. After that, you have a little more food. Good luck, either way you go! After going through it, I think it's safer and more realistic for me personally to do it in a more moderate way, like my fitness pal. PS-It is also REALLY expensive!! And, they push a TON of pills on you.
  • momjmd
    momjmd Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Thanks Kaseymo! I appreciate your input. I really don't know anything about it as it is new to our area but a staff member at the doctor's office was doing it and lost a lot of weight on it.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/567743-metabolic-research-center-scam

anything that sounds too good to be true usually is too good to be true.

there is no "secret" to weight loss. don't fall for "get thin quick" scams.

everything you need to know to get started losing weight can be found here on MFP for free.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/567743-metabolic-research-center-scam

anything that sounds too good to be true usually is too good to be true.

there is no "secret" to weight loss. don't fall for "get thin quick" scams.

everything you need to know to get started losing weight can be found here on MFP for free.

^What Winner said.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    yeah, unless you re going to a local university's lab, I'd skip it.
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I'd skip the Metabolic Research Center and just follow the MFP recommendations for safe, steady and lasting results.
    I think it's a scam, and your Dr is a quack for recommending it.
    Anyway, good luck whatever you decide.
    :flowerforyou:
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I did this a few years ago. I lost a lot of weight, really fast. I'm talking sometimes 3 pounds a DAY!!! Typically I lost about 5 pounds a week. I think I went from 180 to 155 in about 6 or 7 weeks, if memory serves. However, the moment you stop, you gain weight back, and quickly! And, I'm not saying that you stop and just start eating Big Macs. Just going to a normal diet did that to me. In all fairness, I didn't make it all the way to the final step of the diet that adds food back in. After I did the diet, I did more research and found that there really can be some serious risks. Super fast weight loss can cause your gall bladder to fail, which mine did. I'm not blaming MRC or anything, I'm just saying it could have exacerbated the unknown problems with my gall bladder? If you are hardcore enough to complete it, and not cheat then maybe it would work for you. I had several friends do it in the same year I did. They all lost weight at first, then gained back more than they lost. That could just be an example of low self control though ; ) (Myself included in that!) So, in a roundabout way, I'm trying to say make sure you fully educate yourself and learn the risks. I still remember the first 4 day meal plan for the group I started in. For breakfast, you had 1 egg and 1 piece of low calorie toast and a half an orange. I believe you could also have 1 ounce of cheese. Then, a protein drink. For lunch, it was 8 ounces of uncooked veggies (which is TON of veggies!) with 2 ounces of cheese and a drink. Dinner was 4 ounces of lean protein from a specific list, 4 ounces of cooked veggies, 4 ounces of raw veggies and a low calorie carb. And another drink. Not a lot of food, but this was the worst of it. After that, you have a little more food. Good luck, either way you go! After going through it, I think it's safer and more realistic for me personally to do it in a more moderate way, like my fitness pal. PS-It is also REALLY expensive!! And, they push a TON of pills on you.

^^^ here is the answer you need. She, nor her friends, managed to KEEP THE WEIGHT OFF because it's restrictive and, in effect, a DIET. Another poster even said that people who have yo-yo dieted and messed up their metabolisms were sent to this place. Well losing weight rapidly and not keeping it off is classic yo-yo dieting and another way to keep the "diet" industry in business.

I lost 70 lbs over 20 years ago and kept it off because I made lifestyle changes, tweaked those lifestyle changes as I got older, with a reasonable plan I could LIVE with!!