Protein Bars

Options
I need help from people who are much more experience with this stuff than I am. I have never eaten protein bars, and I am wondering is there a protein bar that is low in sugar, very filling, and less than 300 calories? I need something to grab for breakfast on days like today when I don't have time to cook anything.

What are some good ones to try?

Thanks!

Replies

• helhedded
    helhedded Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Try Pure Protein bars. They are 200 calories wtih around 4g of sugar and about 20g of protein. I'm not sure how long you wait in between meals... 200cal might be stretching it though.

Another good bar that is under 300 is the Clif bar. They only have 10g of protein so they aren't considered a protein bar but they are a great tasting and a quick fuel source at 250cal.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    They are mostly a waste of money

That said, I love the clif builders chocolate.. Although I'm fairly certain there are illegal addictive substances in them
    I had to stop buying them
  • jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Promax LS bars are good. 18 grams protein, 14 grams fiber, and low sugar for about 220 calories per bar.
  • helhedded
    Options

Why do you say that?
  • meghannrenee
    meghannrenee Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I like Clif Builders - 270 cal, 20 g protein.

I've heard good things about Quest bars and about Pure Protein too.

Google it - there are a lot of good comparisons out there to help you narrow it down.
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I make my own with pb, honey, oats and few other things (I can't remember off the top of my head). They are lower in sugar, cheaper and yummy. I just googled a recipe.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options

Why do you say that?

You can get more food, with the same or better macros for less money

Basically they are really expensive candy
  • KodAkuraMacKyen
    KodAkuraMacKyen Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Yes yes yes! Check out sixpacknutritionshack.com. They are under 250 calories, very filling, low sugar, high protein and the best part is, THEY TASTE INCREDIBLE!
  • faster_than_flash
    faster_than_flash Posts: 114 Member
    Options

Why do you say that?

Agreed - though it comes pre-packaged (no cooking or assembling!), easy to eat and tastes yummy =).
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    QUEST!

/end Thread

:)
  • helhedded
    Options

Why do you say that?

one word

convenience :bigsmile:
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Cliff Bars = a candy bar's slightly healthier cousin. Which is fine, so long as you can fit them into your calories for the day. Just don't delude yourself into thinking you are eating something healthy.
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Another vote for quest bars. The fiber content should help you feel full. Not cheap though at around 2.00-2.50 each. I eat them while traveling to keep my fiber content up. Try the cinnamon roll flavor- pop in in the microwave for about ten seconds to soften it up. It tastes like a snickerdoodle cookie.

Detour isn't bad. Some flavors of pure protein aren't bad. they can be bought in bulk for less than 1.00.

Most of the smaller bars are in the 175-200 calorie range. Spread a little almond butter on them to increase the calorie to 300ish and get some healthy fat if you like.
  • TinySal
    TinySal Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I like these too