i love my farmers market!

Options
emtink
emtink Posts: 387 Member
fresh, organic fruits and veggies all year long and cheaper than the grocery store!
fresh eggs!
local free range, grass fed pork and beef!

and best of all... the crazy hummus guy! i love him and his hummus and his fresh pita.

i also love that i'm supporting small businesses in my area.

it took me a good year to really get in the routine of going every week, and its well worth it. if you have a farmers market and you haven't checked it out, give it a try!

anyone else love their farmers market?

Replies

• megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    We are getting a new guy that will be selling organic chickens and eggs, Love that and love the farmers market., send the hummus guy this way.
  • Sunsh1ne
    Sunsh1ne Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Me, too! Mine's seasonal rather than weekly but I love being able to get a wide variety of good, fresh foods from people who I've gotten to know. I know that my produce is coming from farms that use sustainable practices; I know my meat lead a happy life; I know my cheese and eggs come from sheep, cows and chickens allowed to roam freely; and best of all, I know my producers, so they'll give me a deal on a big bushel of beans, recipes for unusual produce, and their opinions on what's best that week. I love my farmer's market, and I'll be sad when I have to move and find a new one!
  • NaturalMom
    Options
    That is so awesome! I am totally jealous. The closest farm that sells to the public is 90 minutes away from where we live and they aren't even organic. Hopefully soon the whole movement will reach us, until then I am happy to know that others are enjoying fresh, local, organic foods. Best wishes to you!
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I lived in Northern California this summer for my internship and I would walk about 3/4 mile to the Caltrain station where they had the Mountain View farmer's market. SOOOO GOOD! I would come home with corn and strawberries and fresh guacamole. I'm living in Northern VA now, and I just saw a sign for a local farmer's market about 2 miles down the road May-Oct. Whoot!
  • jesyka
    jesyka Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I don't know how we ever lived without our farmers market!

That's where we do all of our groceries now, there's no temptation to buy boxes of cookies etc. :)
  • emtink
    Options
    We are getting a new guy that will be selling organic chickens and eggs, Love that and love the farmers market., send the hummus guy this way.

sorry, i'm keeping the hummus guy! find your own :laugh:

i would love organic chicken. right now we just of the ranchers selling pork and beef.
  • emtink
    Options
    I lived in Northern California this summer for my internship and I would walk about 3/4 mile to the Caltrain station where they had the Mountain View farmer's market. SOOOO GOOD! I would come home with corn and strawberries and fresh guacamole. I'm living in Northern VA now, and I just saw a sign for a local farmer's market about 2 miles down the road May-Oct. Whoot!

i'm in central cali, so i know i'm spoiled. when you live in the 'salad bowl' of the world, you get good stuff! fresh artichokes and strawberries are probably the things i love most!
  • mommy2js
    mommy2js Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am totally addicted to mine BUT. . . . The stupid BULK stuff right by the register!!!!!!!!! ARGH! Last week on sale was -get this- "Double Dipped Chocolate Coconut Almonds" OMG - SOOOOOOO YUMMY! :love: They are almonds surrounded in crispy coconut and double dipped in chocolate - about the size of a fig. My downfall for sure.
  • emtink
    Options
    i avoid the those tables like the plague! there's this one baker who comes to the market, everything was baked fresh that morning. danishes, pumpkin bread, baguettes, focacia with goodies... lucky for me he's over in the non-organic section, so most of the time i can resist! but i do treat myself to the vegan pumpkin bread every once in a while... mmmmmmmmmmmmm