Squat Rack or Smith Machine?

Options
Just starting a lifting program and have a home gym. I already own an assortment of free weights including dumbbells and barbells but - - -

Would I benefit from getting a squat rack or a Smith machine? What are the major differences?

FYI: I'm a woman and not able to lift very heavy (right now). But would like to get stronger in my advancing years and not lose muscle!

Replies

• 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Get a good power cage it allows for natural movement and will protect you if you lift with out a spotter. If you combine it with a bench and a good barbell set you can do anything!

You will see the smith machines in the "gyms" because the bar cant be dropped and it is supposedly "safer" but if forces you to do lifts in ways that do not follow normal body mechanics and that will eventually hurt you knees and back.

ETA - A power cage is better than a squat rack - you will still need spotter if you get a squat rack. My B-day/christmas/new year present to myself was a power cage that fits the low ceiling in my basement - I do the home gym thing as well!
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    If you can't lift heavy right now dumbells would probably be a good start. A squat rack or power cage is pretty big investment to make as a beginner.
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Power cages do not have to be ridiculously expensive - check out ebay, amazon, or cragslist. Do you have a playitagainsports near you?

ETA: I payed about $300 for mine - less than a good treadmill or exercise bike!
  • soliddreams
    Options
    A buddy of mine got a really good power rack for about 300 bucks on craigs list, and the dude gave him all the weights etc too.

Smith machine is basically going to mess you up, like hobbit said.
  • Whimzeee
    Whimzeee Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    My husband already lifts and he can use whatever I buy too so the price as a beginner is not an issue for us.
  • olsondre
    olsondre Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Get a power rack
  • lik_11
    lik_11 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I normally squat with the rack at my gym, but one day I used a smith machine because the racks were all occupied. Definitely noticed how different my form was and how much the Smith machine "assisted" my balance. It was very easy to distinguish that using the free weights in the squat rack works more musles and forces the core control for balance. Personally- I won't use the Smith again.
  • soliddreams
    Options
    I normally squat with the rack at my gym, but one day I used a smith machine because the racks were all occupied. Definitely noticed how different my form was and how much the Smith machine "assisted" my balance. It was very easy to distinguish that using the free weights in the squat rack works more musles and forces the core control for balance. Personally- I won't use the Smith again.

Plus it's a really good way to injure yourself. You have to actually step out a bit with the smith bar, because as you go down it puts a lot of torque on your back, which leads to spine damage.

The only thing I use them on is occasional barbell rows and shoulder presses.
  • Whimzeee
    Options
    Bumping -
  • lorcart
    lorcart Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Rack. You engage a LOT more muscles than with a Smith Machine.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Rack. You engage a LOT more muscles than with a Smith Machine.

This.

I have a Smith at home and have been using it but am shopping for a power cage. It's nice to have all the attachments for cables and such, but really you can train every part of your body with free weights and a power cage. Once I get one I'm starting from scratch with Stronglifts 5x5 because I'll have to re-learn to squat with the free weight.
  • livingdeadlifter
    Options
    Squat rack.
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I had been using the smith machine at the gym for a couple of years, but had shoulder and elbow pain.
    Then I got a squat rack at home, and didn't have those pains at all while lifting. It's definitely more
    natural feeling to use a squat rack as opposed to a smith machine.
  • misssiri
    misssiri Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    No smith for me ever again. I spent a week not doing anything but walking because my back hurt after squatting on the smith. No thank you.
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Definitely a power cage. We have one in the garage, and it's the best investment my DH ever made. You can do pretty much anything with it, and you wouldn't have to have a spotter if no one's around.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Smith machine is very restrictive as far as technique and it's really difficult to do lunges. In the real world bars don't just travel perfectly vertically they move side to side/ at an angle with your body and wobble subtly as your smaller stabilising muscles do their job.
  • rapat
    rapat Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Power cage / squat rack. I've never liked the smith machine movement for squatting or bench presses.
    Only caution is its possible to give yourself a hernia or back problem if you become sloppy / don't practice good form
  • Whimzeee
    Options
    Seems like most everyone prefers the squat/power rack over the Smith machine. Guess I'm off to research!
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I'm just tossing up whether to get a squat rack myself as I lift at home by myself most of the time.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Is this even a real question? Definitely go with a rack. A smith machine won't work out as many muscles. A rack will use all of those little balance muscles.