Too much protein?

Options
I know I need more protein, and I've been eating more than usual lately, but I haven't been able to have a bowl movement and I know too much protein can cause constipation. How do I deal with this? Should I lower it on the days I don't workout? Eating more fiber doesn't help me, either...I drink a lot of water and I can only "go" when I have coffee now and it's not much..... = /

And it's a serious question and concern.

Replies

• ShrinkingChelle
    Options
    I too had this problem, I gave up meat and most dairy (That is a lot harder to give up) and get most of my protein for vegetable sources now and I poop everyday. Im not sure if this is an option for you, But i went from 'going' once or twice a week to everyday and my digestion feel so much better.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    You can also try digestive enzymes. You can get them at any pharmacy or gnc in the vitamin section. My favorite kind is - Now! Super Enzymes.
    530-651-thickbox.jpg
  • AsrarHussain
    AsrarHussain Posts: 1,424 Member
    Options
    I eat 1grm protein per bodyweight at first your body is going to be shocked because ur not used to eating that much protein but it will get used to it
  • lissylong
    Options
    I also was having the same problem, and my doctor recommended take SMOOTH MOVE tea before bed. I works great and I feel way better.
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the suggestions and replies. I can't give up Greek yogurt, eggs or meats up. Just can't do it. Love them too much. Or tuna. I'll try different teas for it or something. coffee helps, but i dont want that to be the only way i can go.
  • jstandfield
    jstandfield Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    When increasing protein in your diet increase fiber. Try to eat balanced, meaning consume protein,carbs and fats together. Most protein sources contain no significant fiber. Fiber is also a thermogenic so consuming alot of it won't hurt.
  • alexbusnello
    Options
    When increasing protein in your diet increase fiber. Try to eat balanced, meaning consume protein,carbs and fats together. Most protein sources contain no significant fiber. Fiber is also a thermogenic so consuming alot of it won't hurt.

I make oatmeal that is balanced I think.

1/2 oats
    3 - 4 egg whites or 1/2 - 3/4 non fat Greek yogurt
    cinnamon
    Natural peanut butter (with oil on top. only peanuts in ingredients) or sometimes walnuts
    Berries
    Apple
    Really ripened Banana
    Unsweetened cacao powder
    black coffee

Those are some variations on how I make it. I also make a protein oat flour smoothie that's chocolate and peanut butter with Greek yogurt, chocolate soy or chocolate almond milk, cinnamon, sometimes coffee. Both with Stevia. SO thick and creamy. I love it.
  • LexiBlack12
    LexiBlack12 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Increase fiber intake.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Increase fiber and water intake. If you feel you can't get enough fiber (though, really, a fruit and veggie at every meal will handle that), a good supplement is psyllium seed husk, which you can blend into your protein shakes.
  • Pspetal
    Pspetal Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem few weeks back. Now I eat a cup of carrots or shredded beetroot or a large quantity of any fruit per day or a large quantity of veggies. They are pretty low cal and they get the job done. You might also want to try beans of any kind, they tend to be high protein and high fibre and can act as a tasty addition to anything you're having really. Psyllium fibre like metamucil might help too.
  • lamby284
    lamby284 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    thanks for the answers, i was wondering about this too.
  • FitandFab33
    FitandFab33 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of protein (mostly chicken, eggs, egg whites, some lean beef, and fish.. very little fruit (about 130 g of frozen strawberries in a shake), and low carb, but I make sure to get enough fiber from green veggies, sweet potatoes, and the occasional high fiber wrap. I also drink about a gallon of water each day and I'm very regular.
  • megd726
    megd726 Posts: 31
    Options
    I struggled with this the first few days after I started back in December. I focused on bumping up the fruits and vegetables and that helped me a lot. I don't know if it was that or maybe just my body catching up to the new changes.
  • FitandFab33
    Options
    I know I need more protein, and I've been eating more than usual lately, but I haven't been able to have a bowl movement and I know too much protein can cause constipation. How do I deal with this? Should I lower it on the days I don't workout? Eating more fiber doesn't help me, either...I drink a lot of water and I can only "go" when I have coffee now and it's not much..... = /

Eat less protein, i don't know why people are so obsessed about protein, what you afraid of, seriously...?

I'm afraid of losing lean body mass (muscle) while I'm eating at a deficit and working out. I'm also afraid of my ridiculous lack of self-control when it comes to carbs/sugar- including fruit. So more protein and moderate fat intake (mostly MUFAs and PUFAs) works for me. But it's not for everyone.
  • cyclechick17
    Options
    you need to eat more fiber, try whole wheat bread with 1 tbspn of peanut butter, its good and enough of it makes you move your bowels. I am eating that and I go everyday now compared to what I doing just like you. Good luck!!
  • contraryquite
    Options
    Sounds like all the sensible advice has already been covered. But I would say it could be worth trying Green Tea; I know people who have found this to be the cure to constipation just with one or two cups a day. Worth a try.
  • FitandFab33
    Options

Eat less protein, i don't know why people are so obsessed about protein, what you afraid of, seriously...?

I'm afraid of losing lean body mass (muscle) while I'm eating at a deficit and working out. I'm also afraid of my ridiculous lack of self-control when it comes to carbs/sugar- including fruit. So more protein and moderate fat intake (mostly MUFAs and PUFAs) works for me. But it's not for everyone.

I understand your concern with binges and sugar. I do have this saying, "sugar feeds sugar." The issue with LBM, the most important thing is resistance training. Some of the best physiques I know of are from vegans. They don't shrivel up and die.
    If you feel protein helps you stick your calorie goal better, than that's good.

Papaya and pineapple have very powerful enzymes for digestion. When I did low carb and high protein I felt how you feel. After my dinner I'd eat some pineapple. I'd buy the frozen kind and mix it with some water, just a pineapple smoothie, add other fruits if you want, but the most should be pineapple. That worked well.

^^I don't know why I didn't think of this- he's right. Papaya (papain), ficin (figs) and pineapple (bromelain) are actually used to make meat tenderizer powders... they're proteases (break down protein). Kiwi is another natural protease (which is why it's SO difficult to bake with!).
  • alexbusnello
    Options

Uhm, I need it to regain my muscles? That's why.
  • maqsmj
    maqsmj Posts: 697
    Options
    if it is not really so bad, eat vegetables and anything with fiber,

if u r so bad, just by a fiber drink from walgreens or anywhere and u will live there :)
  • alexbusnello
    Options
    if it is not really so bad, eat vegetables and anything with fiber,

if u r so bad, just by a fiber drink from walgreens or anywhere and u will live there :)

Thank you :) i love most veggies and I love fruits soo lol