Need Advice about Vitamins

Options
Hello, I am just starting out again dieting and working out. I really have no clue what vitimans would help me feel better or help block fat. Can someone please give me advice....Thanks!!

Replies

• 1peanutandapumpkin
    1peanutandapumpkin Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I don't know about blocking fat... but I take a multi vitamin with metabolic support. There are a few brands that make them. Basically it's a multi with caffeine. I take it after lunch to boost me through the rest of the day. It seems to work better for me instead of with breakfast. I've heard good things about Alli as a fat blocker but I have never tried it.
  • goldair23
    goldair23 Posts: 160
    Options
    I always used to think just a multi vitamin and some fish oil would be enough, but I was listening to the news on the radio the other day and they were interviewing some professor (no idea what his name is sorry) and he was saying how vitamins can actually do more harm than good and that we should be consuming vitamins through our food sources. E.g Vitamin C through oranges etc. I'm not sure how true this is, but from the studies/surveys he was using as examples backing up each reason for skipping each vitamin it seemed pretty plausible! Like I think it was vitamin C (?) that was given to a bunch of soldiers back in the day and the numbers of prostate cancer increased by a massive amount in the year following the increased vitamin.

While I doubt taking a multi vitamin is going to cause any harm, perhaps you should aim to get majority of your vitamins through your food anyway? And as for fat blocking? I don't know anything about that, I know there are vitamins that may speed up your metabolism but I don't really think that that's all that necessary!

x
  • soliddreams
    Options
    Honestly, if you use a 1 a day supplement, then they usually use crappy vitamins.

If you get something like Animal Pak, Uni Vite (which is only 11 bucks for a 30 day supply), or something, then you'll get the benefits of it without the health risks.

Animal pak has things that can blunt the effects of insulin, such as ALA etc, but even if you take pak and then nom down on a ton of sugary food, you're still gonna feel like crap and look like crap. Vitamins are good if you get a reputable source!
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I use Animal pak....and I have no clue if it even does anything.
    My assumption is that is helps fill holes in my nutrition.
    As for "blocking fat".....:laugh: ....forget it....
  • RadioactivePirate
    Options
    As far as vitamins go, the evidence is really not there for vitamin supplementation unless someone is actually deficient. Getting your vitamins from food has been shown repeatedly to be far superior to taking a vitamin supplement. Focus more on eating a balanced diet unless you have a specific deficiency. Many people are vitamin D deficient, especially in winter. My doctor says that pretty much every patient she has (we live in the northeast US) is vitamin D deficient unless they are on supplements, so that may be one to consider.

And for blocking fat, just keep in mind anytime you see that on a product that the claim "blocks fat" is a euphemism for "this doesn't do anything but we'd sure like your money!"
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    I wil tell you the same 3 words I tell everyone. Forks over Knoives. Read it or watch the movie.
  • Davelh1976
    Davelh1976 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    be wise with them i was taking b-12 and had a blood test and i have taken way to much b12! so i guess they do work however i suggest mixing up food choices. i feel better with out them take up juicing lots of vitamins in that
  • contraryquite
    Options
    As far as vitamins go, the evidence is really not there for vitamin supplementation unless someone is actually deficient. Getting your vitamins from food has been shown repeatedly to be far superior to taking a vitamin supplement. Focus more on eating a balanced diet unless you have a specific deficiency. Many people are vitamin D deficient, especially in winter. My doctor says that pretty much every patient she has (we live in the northeast US) is vitamin D deficient unless they are on supplements, so that may be one to consider.

And for blocking fat, just keep in mind anytime you see that on a product that the claim "blocks fat" is a euphemism for "this doesn't do anything but we'd sure like your money!"

This is the answer you need.

Vitamin supplements are only effective where there is a proven deficiency. The body has a saturation level for processing vitamins, it will only metabolise whats needed. So topping up un necessarily on vitamins will basically just give you some fancier urine.

I don't know a great deal about the fat blockers which are advertised, but would say if you don't want it in your body - don't put it in your mouth!
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Go visit your doctor, and request the blood work to check your vitamin levels. You may id some deficiencies and then you'll know for sure what you could take that would help you.

A multivitamin won't hurt you though. Take it, if you feel better, keep taking it, if not, dont. If you're eating a balance diet from various sources, you're probably getting most of what you need.