Success Story of a College Kid! [Pics included]

Options
So I've seen all these marvelous stories on the success stories board and I was like hey why not add mine that is in the making! =)
So let me tell you about myself, my name is Meaghan, I'm a college senior (Graduating in May woo-hoo!) and throughout my college career, i've been depressed, sick, and on a mission! Here is my story :

So in August of 2008, I got accepted into my wonderful university in NC of Winston-Salem State University, at the age of 17, I was one of the youngest ones there going into a completely change of environment I was excited but scared at the same time. Weighing about 190 entering into college.
freshmanyear2_zps3e058a20.jpg

I met my roomate and she was pretty cool and very religous ( nothing is wrong with that! ) except for the fact that I don't know how she will react when she finds out im a lesbian
freshmanyear_zpsbe58c4ce.jpg

That lowkey stressed me out & when im stressed I eat. I still do to this day, but I need to handle that asap. Classes were going good, social life was good, but then Christmas of 2008 hit, and things got crazy. Two days after christmas, I thought it would be right and fair to my parents that I was honest and true to them and tell them that I am a lesbian.

That took things for a complete 180 turn. My parents sent me back to school , we barely talked, the put me out on my own, they said I was a disgrace to the family..and I knew they would be upset but to the extentt that they took it too...stressed me out and put me into a depression...I ate and ate and ate till I couldn't eat anymore.

I became bullimic , that didn't seem to work because I saw that I was gaining on lbs. I became and avid avid purger to where I had to go to counseling twice a week. I tried to committ suicide, but was too punk to do. My friends took me to therapy sessions and they helped abit..but still in the back of my mind that I had failed my family and that i was a "disgrace" to my family...made me feel so low. Like I had no purpose on this planet.

low_zpsc9125ffc.jpg

With counseling and the help of my friends who came and go, I somewhat got over the incident with my parents but then the breakup with my first girlfriend of 2 years occured wich put me back in the same hole where I started in 2009.

I did'nt want to go to class, i still did go though. I ate and ate at and ate and blew up to this, eventhough I was smiling, there was so much hurt and pain that got dolled up for nothing and went back to my room after these pics -->

20092_zps2307e223.jpg
2009_zpsb7ec53b0.jpg

i stopped going to counseling and between 2008 to 2010, I gained 60 + lbs.

I had a long talk with myself, telling myself I don't deserve this torture to my body. So I got on the okay foot and
changed my diet and focused on me.....I lost about 25 lbs :wink: . I was smiling again, happy to go to class, feeling good.

Nothing could dull my shine!
2010_zps0f84bdc2.jpg

Until this hit me...another breakup...back to square one...again...
& finding lumps in my stomach , which were tumors that grow inside my stomach ,that the docs said was called, lipoma, and said that they have a high risk of becoming cancerous, if I don't get them cut out. They don't know why they form, so that's why it's considered cosmetics surgery and my insurance doesn't cover cosmetic surgery. So basically its an arm and a leg...& then school was crazy, I just gave up. I failed all my classes one semester so it pushed me back to graduating now in May.

Added on stress much?! & as I say when im stressed I eat....

and this is the result 2 years later (labor day 2012) :

hellokitty_zpsb11ddb10.jpg

So I finally got my head together and decide this is the last time. I may have a disorder that can slay me, but in the mean time I can change it, I can fight against it.

So I kicked it into gear and got to work..on myself, getting my light back & this is the result...

update_zps8ea981a9.jpg

I still have a long go but my success story to me is knowing the obstacles I have faced and learning them and becoming the woman I am today. I'm focusing on me, my schooling, and my future. :heart: :wink: :smile:

Replies

• Debbieweightlost
    Options
    :smile: I read your story and was brought to tears. You are a survivor and being true to your self is rough. But is the key to happiness. I am a mom of two and am starting the journey of weight lost. Do to a car accident & my daughters health issues I gained 100 lbs in 3 years. Only reading your story, did I realize, I eat when stressed. Dah!!!!! Never realized it. SO THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SHARING!!!!!!
    As for your journey in discovering your self and loosing weight: Keep up the good work and keep your MFP up to date. Congrats on how far you have come. You are on your way to even more success on this journey.
  • happyheart15
    happyheart15 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!
  • slynnalex
    slynnalex Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    You are amazing! Keep going you're already a success and there's only more happiness in your future. Do you realize how much you have already accomplished? To survive all the stress and you still lost weight and will graduate from college. I hope your family comes around so that you can have peace w/ them. Finding a partner isn't easy for anyone - you'll find the one for you. :smile:
    Keep up all your good work!
  • wbandel
    wbandel Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Congrats on facing all of your inner demons! Graduating is a big deal and it's amazing that you've been able to accomplish so much with everything going on. You've made a ton of progress and it's really paying off! You got this!
  • ThereOnceWasAUnionMaid
    Options
    Reading your story made me tear up a bit. You are so strong and tough for going through all that and to be able to come out smiling. I wish you all the best of luck in everything you do! I'm so sorry your family was not accepting of you, you don't deserve that. You seem like a wonderful person, don't let them get you down!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!