Gym in Your Living Room?

Options
This sounds crazy, but does anyone just have a full up gym in their living room?

My living room and dining room combined would make a kick *kitten* gym. Putting a power rack and a bench and all the gear would be awesome. I know it's a little "different", but I'd keep the couch and tv. Lol.

Anyone do that?

I don't know if this is serious. It's just a thought for now.

Replies

• Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    i would take one of the empty bedrooms in the house....we have a 5 bedroom house and only two rooms being used and turn that into a home gym area...then if i had room put a small loveseat and tv in there...lol
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    My sunroom just became my gym. Clearing out all the furniture now - down to the wood floor. Then putting in weight bench and squat rack. Next purchase? Treadmill. I can't wait.
  • olsondre
    olsondre Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I would do what I had to but I much prefer using my garage as a gym than my living room.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I would do what I had to but I much prefer using my garage as a gym than my living room.

Yeah. It's weird.

My garage sucks. Too small. I have one of those really old beach town garages. The kind where a car can't fit in it. (I know, then why did they build it? No idea.)
  • dirtnap63
    dirtnap63 Posts: 1,387 Member
    Options
    My Nautilus machine is in our rec room. I can watch the 61" television if I want, but usually I just listen to the 7.1 surround sound stereo :bigsmile:
  • vfnmoody
    vfnmoody Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    do it.
  • olsondre
    olsondre Posts: 198 Member
    Options

Yeah. It's weird.

My garage sucks. Too small. I have one of those really old beach town garages. The kind where a car can't fit in it. (I know, then why did they build it? No idea.)

I would go for it then. My gym equipment gets used much more than most of the furniture I have
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do, make sure your floor can support the weight of what's on it and what you plan to drop on it.
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I've got a gym set up in my living room (along with a study). It can work as long as you've got the space. Flooring can be an issue, though, depending on what you're doing.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    if it works for you, do it. Its your house make it functional for you!
  • vmekash
    vmekash Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    It is your home. You can set it up anyway you want. You may have to make things more traditional to sell, but if you're not moving any time soon, GO FOR IT!

Good point re supporting the weight of your equipment (esp. if there is a basement underneath).
  • Miss_Z_87
    Options
    Ive made my garage into my gym, my lounge is too small for a gym. I've got a bench combo which can be used as a squat rack. Ive also got a yoga mat, plate and free weights, and a swissball.

I've also got a cross trainer, but I don't use it, as I get bored very easily. My partner usually uses the weights room, but I have decided to stick with cardio atm. I really like using fitness DVDs for variety. :smile:
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    A rack would be a bit OTT but I do have all my kit in my living room - bench, weights, stop watch, kettlebell, gym ball, etc. If I have visitors, I can move it all in a few minutes. :)

I would use the garage but I can see myself not going in there in winter as it's too cold - and summer because it's too hot.
  • SarahCW1979
    SarahCW1979 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I have a full weights bench in my dining room (shoved the table in the kitchen) I also have a x-trainer in the hallway, free weights under the sofa and yoga stuff in my bedroom \o/ Oh and a punchbag in the kiddies room, theirs was the only free wall!
  • miche_smash
    miche_smash Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I SO wish I had the space for a home gym. Kinda hard to do in an apartment but one day I will have a gym in my basement or spare bedroom!!
  • tlo23
    tlo23 Posts: 68
    Options
    I don't see why not! :)
  • plynn54
    plynn54 Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I have two spare rooms, one is the workout room:)
  • wendyapple
    wendyapple Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    space is a little tight in my 1 bed apt, but i carved out a nook for an adjustable bench and 6 sets of free weights. i was dreaming of a power rack but i'll save it till i'm cohabitating with my sweetie and we'll have a proper weight room. she's promised me i can have an elliptical.
  • lundii
    lundii Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    My elliptical is in my living room. just in front of the TV.
    I think if I have to go to a special room, I would use it less.
    So I can do my workout watching TV, talking to my kids... and I do it daily.
    When I did Insanity, I did it in my living room as well.
    It works for me.
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I was going to do that in my apt and i bought a squat rack and that was about it,lol