Feeding my fatigue

Options
Hello! I have 2 active boys, 3 and 7. I also work part time nights as an RN in the ER. That along with the hundreds of other things Mommies do in a day means I am tired...a lot :) I find that I turn to food for energy when I am tired since I can't just sleep when I feel fatigued during the day or evening. Anyone have any great suggestions of what they do when they are tired in order not to eat?

Replies

• contraryquite
    Options
    If I need to feel energised I try a quick walk or a shower. If it's a distraction from snacking - nail painting is always a good one!
    I find myself tired a lot of the time at the moment, it's very frustrating.

M
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    If you are eating too few calories or not eating enough protein and vitamin-rich foods, you will be tired. Or maybe - more sleep? :wink:
  • melmar76
    melmar76 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Have you considered having your Dr check your iron levels?
    198441 Posts: 14
    Options
    I find that drinking tea or coffee helps
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Take a short nap. Take B12 and magnesium (with your doctor's blessings).
  • TastesLikeChicken
    TastesLikeChicken Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Proper amount of sleep, exercise and healthy eating should do the trick. I'll bet you're short changing yourself. The kids will be grown all too soon. Smile and no one will notice the bags under your eyes. :happy:
  • JULIEdance
    JULIEdance Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Try eating a piece of fruit, they´re great source of quick energy.
  • BlackTimber
    BlackTimber Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are getting enough sleep 7+ hours. Try to keep some sort of schedule for when you eat. Make sure you are eating enough at each meal. Stay away from quick energy carbs. Fructose is not a good source of quick energy.
  • Starfish1125
    Starfish1125 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others, that it could be that you're not eating enough of the right things (protein is huge for energy), as well as getting enough sleep. It's so important. For me, I NEED 8 hours and on the weekends, I indulge in naps. My husband is a huge help with this. He knows for me to be healthy, I need to get the sleep.

I work full time, commute an hour each way, go to school full time (online), and have all the wonderful mommy chores, too - but I always try to remember that resting is SO important. It's my ME time.
  • TattedCharli
    TattedCharli Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Try eating a piece of fruit, they´re great source of quick energy.

Yes! They say an apple is equal to a cup of coffee.
  • JosieJo2000
    JosieJo2000 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I use food to fight my fatigue too, especially as I don't drink caffeine. I try to take a very short nap when I feel really wiped out (even 10 minutes refreshes me), or get some fresh air, or just lie on the couch for a few minutes. I've found I am feeding my fatigue less now that I'm not associating the tired feeling with eating. I have young kids and a hectic life too, I know how you feel!
  • MeMeg10
    MeMeg10 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the suggestions, advice, etc. I do know that there are many days I do not get enough sleep due to switching from being up during the day to up all night at work. Someday I will no longer need to be a vampire... :) Will take your suggestions and see what may work. Thanks again!