Anyone using diet drugs?

Options
I am amazed at how quickly some people lose weight. I'm just curious - are any of you also using diet drugs of any kind (RX or over-the-counter) in combination with the food tracking and exercise?

Replies

• DuhhMuffin
    Options
    I can only speak for myself, but no. Just good ol' diet and exercise, here.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,112 Member
    Options
    No - and most of us will argue against it.

Using pharmaceutical aids is just silly. You can get the same results and it will last a lifetime if you spend a few hours learning about nutrition, and then spend 10 minutes a day logging your food until you get a grasp on portion sizes. Pills don't fix stuff, they just treat the symptom.
  • larryc0923
    larryc0923 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    No - and most of us will argue against it.

Using pharmaceutical aids is just silly. You can get the same results and it will last a lifetime if you spend a few hours learning about nutrition, and then spend 10 minutes a day logging your food until you get a grasp on portion sizes. Pills don't fix stuff, they just treat the symptom.
    Amen!!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,112 Member
    Options
    ....and losing weight fast is not wise - you can do irreparable damage to your organs. Definitely not worth it. One to two pounds a week is the maximum rate you should aim to obtain.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Lost 100lbs in early 20's on Meridia
    gained it back

Lost 100lbs in early 30's on Adipex and Diurex (yes, some whack Dr prescribed both at same time)

Gained it back.....

It's not an experiment I'd like to try a third time. This time, I'm going to put in the effort and be happy knowing I can do it myself.
  • ChristinaR720
    Options
    No way. It's not a sustainable way to lose weight and many of them are more harmful them helpful. Not worth it. Also, when I get to my goal weight, it will mean so much more knowing that I worked my butt off to make it happen and didn't give into the quick fixes.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    In my mind, it's like pretending. The pill does all the work for you. You don't learn to incorporate exercise into your life, you don't learn to make healthy food choices, you don't learn to THINK very much about what you're doing. Sure, you'll put in some effort. But the pill does most of the work for you. And then what happens when the pill isn't there anymore? You still haven't learned about better food choices, you still haven't changed your habits, you still haven't improved your muscle strength or cardiovascular strength. So now, you're just a temporarily slim, unhealthy person who got there by cheating (I think it's cheating, lol).

Is that better? Is that the goal for any of us? Where is the feeling of accomplishment that comes from working hard and succeeding at something?
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Nope.
  • Laurend224
    Options
    In my mind, it's like pretending. The pill does all the work for you. You don't learn to incorporate exercise into your life, you don't learn to make healthy food choices, you don't learn to THINK very much about what you're doing. Sure, you'll put in some effort. But the pill does most of the work for you. And then what happens when the pill isn't there anymore? You still haven't learned about better food choices, you still haven't changed your habits, you still haven't improved your muscle strength or cardiovascular strength. So now, you're just a temporarily slim, unhealthy person who got there by cheating (I think it's cheating, lol).

Is that better? Is that the goal for any of us? Where is the feeling of accomplishment that comes from working hard and succeeding at something?

Exactly. I ate crap, although small amounts of crap because I had no appetite. So when I wasn't on adipex anymore, I'd eat the quart of ice cream instead of a spoonful. It is totally cheating!
  • j1wright
    j1wright Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I took phentermine in my twenties a couple of times and the weight came off real fast and came on real fast when I got off.

This is the first time I have lost the weight and it has stayed off for more than three months. Surprisingly I am doing it by eating right only at this time. I lost it by working out and eating right. I need to start working out again but just haven't found the motivation since it got cold out.
  • Acer72
    Acer72 Posts: 1
    Options
    It's not cheating if it fits in your total daily calorie allowance and macros. I eat ice cream everyday and lose weight.

There's no cheating only over eating or under eating.
  • Laurend224
    Options
    It's not cheating if it fits in your total daily calorie allowance and macros. I eat ice cream everyday and lose weight.

There's no cheating only over eating or under eating.

I was referring to my use of adipex, since it didn't teach me anything, and I didn't learn anything from it. I love ice cream. It's just too cold to eat it right now!
  • dont_give_up
    dont_give_up Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    A few years ago, I used Slimquick, and lost a lot of weight. I stopped taking it and gained it all back plus more. I decided that I didn't want to have to rely on a pill to help me lose weight.
  • lhergenr
    lhergenr Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    cocaine. lots and lots of cocaine.
  • PipBnz
    PipBnz Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    The closest i get is a black coffee every now and then before my workouts, it doesn't help lose weight but the caffeine helps me go a little harder at the gym.
    A balanced diet and regular exercise is the best way to lose weight, I'm sure most people on here would agree.
    Losing weight and keeping it off is hard, slow work, but its worth it. Anything that claims to make weight loss fast and easy is probably too good to be true.
  • Pamela0004
    Options
    NO !!!
  • ladybowe
    Options
    Not for me. I have heart problems...a lot of those drugs affect heart rhythm and blood pressure. They are definitely no good for you at all....cause way more harm than good.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!