Free Calories

Options
Are there foods that are free calories?? What foods are free and how much of that food is free? For example are mushrooms from a can free calories?? Are cucumbers free calories?? Radishes free calories?? Help any body just would like to know if there are such things as free calories in food? Thanks so much!

Replies

• blakgarnet
    blakgarnet Posts: 343
    Options
    I don't count calories in garlic or onions since they're low in calories and I only add a small amount to anything anyway. I am also not too strict on most veggies - I generally just estimate since they are low in calories and healthy calories. I do try to count them thought.
  • Donecruising
    Options
    My nutritionist says that the fruits and veggies are "free calories" but MFP has me hooked I count everything. Good luck aixela35 with everything you're trying to accomplish.
  • ks2001
    ks2001 Posts: 40
    Options
    Give yourself lettuce for free--you couldn't eat enough to amount to a lot anyway and it's mostly water and fiber.
  • mocorbin
    mocorbin Posts: 24
    Options
    Hi aixela
    I was on weight watchers and these were zero point veggies but I'm sure they all have some calories if you're tracking. :)
    asparagus
    beets
    broccoli
    brussel sprouts
    cabbage
    cauliflower
    celery
    cucumber
    eggplant
    endive
    escarole
    green or wax beens
    greens
    hearts of palm
    jicama
    lettuce
    mixed green salad (dressing has points)
    fresh mushrooms (not canned)
    okra
    peppers
    pickles (unsweetened)
    pimentos
    fresh pumpkin (not canned)
    radishes
    sauerkraut
    scallions
    spinach
    sprouts
    spaghetti, summer and zuccchini squash
    tomatoes
    turnips
    watercress
  • spritie
    spritie Posts: 167
    Options
    water is free

other than that everything has some calories
  • MiniRose2B
    Options
    I was on WW's for awhile and I'm used to not counting calories in some veggies like greens and carrots, but still count starchy ones like corn and potatoes.
  • Breathe_Glamour
    Options
    I imagine my reply to this post won't help much, but it is closely tied to the initial question: Why would you want free calories anyway?
  • somigliana
    somigliana Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I know some eating plans/diets have the concept of "free veggies", but they all do still have calories in them, even if the calorie counts are lower than for other foodtypes. Far as I know, only water is truly zero calories. Given MFP is a tool to track all the calories you eat, I take the stance of logging everything (well, except things like garlic and basil leaves, but that's because I'm lazy!).
  • MiniRose2B
    Options
    I imagine my reply to this post won't help much, but it is closely tied to the initial question: Why would you want free calories anyway?

I call free calories a "filler" for example; I just munched on a micowaveable bag of whole green beans, I put in some lite salt, garlic toast powder, and a bit of spray butter, It tastes good, few calories, and I feel satisfied.
  • Elokyn
    Elokyn Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I have read before that when you eat celery you burn more calories eating it than it has in it, but I've never looked it up so I dont know if that's true

update:

http://www.snopes.com/food/ingredient/celery.asp

Everywhere I've looked has said the same thing. Add a little spice, and viola!
  • aixela35
    aixela35 Posts: 13
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Appreciate all the information given.
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    The only thing that has free calories is water. Veggies may be low in calories, but if you eat too much of them, they can add up like anything else. The whole eating celery creates negative calories is a myth. You would have to chew a whole lot to get to that point. Just eat things in moderation and you should be fine.
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    water is free

other than that everything has some calories

Yep.