Suggest good salad dressings please!

Options

Replies

• AliciaAnne1984
    Options
    My favourite is incredibly simple...

Olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Much easier to control exactly what is in it and how much you have when you make it yourself.
  • yustick
    yustick Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I like to take fresh minced garlic and a Serrano pepper or two and blend with an Avacodo.
  • noneentity
    Options
    I've been making Tsaziki and using it for my salad dressing.. plain greek yogurt, cucumber (very finely grated), garlic, pepper, a little olive oil... very low calorie, low fat, tasty
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    I make my own. 2:1 ratio of olive oil and lemon juice and/or vinegar, garlic powder, salt and pepper, and a sprinkle of grated parmesean cheese. Salad for 2, I use 1 T oil to 1/2 T lemon/vinegar. Family size salad, I use more. It's really good and really light and way less calories than bottled dressing.
  • indy_cat
    Options
    My favorite way to eat salad is with a little seasoned rice vinegar that has red pepper flakes in it. It is a low acid vinegar with a slight sweet taste. Mix a little extra virgin olive oil at first and soon you can eat it without oil at all. It is very low in calories and low in cost. I also like salsa on my salad and last week I used a small scoop of guacamole instead of dressing. It was a nice change.
  • LadyCastonguay
    LadyCastonguay Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Newmans have some great olive oil based dressings!!
  • sanndandi
    sanndandi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I love several different salad dressings but something I noticed no one mentioned so far was the sodium. Most bottled salad dressing is very high in it. A lot more than the usual 2 Tbsp serving and you can really go over the RDA. This is just something I noticed the other day when my hubby had a salad but used like 8 Tbsp on his salad and I was just floored. So just something to keep in mind.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I make a low fat italian that is seasoned to my liking.. to make it low fat you simply substitute some of the oil with a cornstarch/water mixture that you've heated and thickened.

Use the good seasons cruet and fill it 2/3 the way to the oil line with the cornstarch/water then the rest of the way to the oil line with oil, add vinegar and/or lemon juice ... you don't need to add water but you can if it makes you happy. Use the good season's packet or just your own concoction of herbs (I go with oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, basil, salt, pepper and seasoned vegetable flakes.. sometimes a tiny pinch of sugar is necessary to help the flavor ... if you use your own, you can really control the flavors and get exactly how you want it.

To make the oil substitute, mix 1 cup cold water with 1Tablespoon cornstarch. heat and stir until thickened. allow to cool (don't worry about carbs.. at tablespoon of corn starch in a whole cup of water is not going to go overboard on carbs there are 7 grams of carbs and only 30 calories in the whole cup.. Compared to 1900 calories and over 200 grams of fat in a cup of oil.

If you don't want ANY oil at all you can omit it entirely, but I do like a little olive oil oil flavor in my salad.

another good one is ranch powder and greek yogurt and bit of reduced fat mayonaise. thin with skim milk to your desired consitency. I like to add fresh dill YUM.
  • curiouslyphantasmagorical
    Options
    I'm addicted to Good Seasons Garlic and Herb, it comes in a pack and you mix it at home with water, vinegar, and half the oil requested. Its amazing. Although, it is a strong taste and smell so you dont need much, however, might want to brush your teeth after if you are going somewhere. Their italian dressing is also good.

63 calories in 2 tbs for the garlic and herb
  • RachyLovesRattys
    RachyLovesRattys Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    There are lots of good make-at-home varieties! But if your really want to just grab a bottle on the shelf with no fuss, I LOVE the Bolthouse Farms yogurt dressings. They have a southwest ranch (or similar phrase) one that is AMAZING and quite healthy.

However, avoid those 0 calorie strange, refrigerated ones at all costs!! They are made mostly of cellulose and taste like watery styrofoam!:sick:
  • tanniew78
    tanniew78 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Kens Sweet Vidalia Onion Vinaigrette! Its a light dressing that tastes SO NOT light! :bigsmile:
  • stephross88
    stephross88 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Hands Down, best tasting, low sodium, low calorie dressing out there is Bolthouse Farms Salsa Ranch. You can find it at Whole Foods, Target and HyVee.
  • vg8pr0
    vg8pr0 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I love Walden Farms Ranch dressing - and its zero calories! Look for it in the refrigerated section. Yummy
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I make a low fat italian that is seasoned to my liking.. to make it low fat you simply substitute some of the oil with a cornstarch/water mixture that you've heated and thickened.

Use the good seasons cruet and fill it 2/3 the way to the oil line with the cornstarch/water then the rest of the way to the oil line with oil, add vinegar and/or lemon juice ... you don't need to add water but you can if it makes you happy. Use the good season's packet or just your own concoction of herbs (I go with oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, basil, salt, pepper and seasoned vegetable flakes.. sometimes a tiny pinch of sugar is necessary to help the flavor ... if you use your own, you can really control the flavors and get exactly how you want it.

To make the oil substitute, mix 1 cup cold water with 1Tablespoon cornstarch. heat and stir until thickened. allow to cool (don't worry about carbs.. at tablespoon of corn starch in a whole cup of water is not going to go overboard on carbs there are 7 grams of carbs and only 30 calories in the whole cup.. Compared to 1900 calories and over 200 grams of fat in a cup of oil.

This is a great idea, never thought of doing this, thanks for sharing :smile:
  • kbvance
    Options
    trader joe's has some great ones & full of flavor!
  • Ari112233
    Ari112233 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    1/3 to 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar or balsamic vinegar

1/3 to 1/2 cup olive oil

1 teaspoon honey or agave nectar or sugar

add soy sauce, garlic, or spices to suit your mood. :)

Ditto on the apple cide vinegar. Try unfiltered for the best taste. But if the salad is just for you I would only use 2 or 3 tablespoons of this recipe. I would ditch the sweetener too.
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Tjack1931
    Tjack1931 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Salad Dressing
    1 tbsp of olive oil
    2 Tbsp of rice Vinegar
    2 Tbsp of Honey
    1 Tsp of Dijon Mustard
    mix all and then pour over salad and stir
    let it sit ad it is great much better than
    the junk on the market
    I like it better than the bought stuff
  • tutti777
    Options
    My two favorites are a simple balsamic vinegar (not vinaigrette, just balsamic vinegar), and Newman's Own Lite Honey Mustard.

Newman's Own Lite Honey Mustard...My favorite as well....So good!
  • jbutts654
    Options
    I like a low fat seseme ginger one by Newman's Own- you can't even tell it's low fat. I also like to make my own by mixing dijon mustard, greek yogurt, any kind of white vinegar, a little apricot jelly, salt, a drop of canola oil & cumin. I's a nice sweet, salty and tart mixture.