rice pudding

Options
anyone have a recipe for healthier rice pudding??

Replies

• VRoseDuda
    VRoseDuda Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    no, but I bought the jello single serving (4 pack). They are 70 calories
    Haven't tried them yet but I am sure they are good (better be!!!)
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    mmmmm. nope. it is so tasty though. i suggest just trying to fit it into your (calorie)day if you want some. :)
  • xxXAngel1Xxx
    Options
    Yes!

Rice, 1 cup.
    Milk, 2 cups.
    Boil the rice and milk and keep stiring it until it starts to get sticky then add some truvia sugar, (calorie free) or some regular sugar......

Seriosuly, I think it has some good calories but it soooo filling and yummy
  • Jerrica2Jem
    Options
    I've tried the jello ones and they are good. Add some raisins and cinnamon and I think you'll like it
  • lp91413
    lp91413 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    thanks all! i found a recipe on spark people that uses brown rice so i think i will try making that tomorrow. each serving is a half a cup and its about 98 calories which would work. i would prefer to try to find a recipe so i am eating something homemade, but that may not be possible with healthy rice pudding, it seems like such an oxymoron :cry:
  • kimmieyr1
    kimmieyr1 Posts: 189
    Options
    Never tried this but I may now. Found it on Hungry Girl as a breakfast option.

Ingredients:
    1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice
    2 1/2 cups light vanilla soymilk, divided
    2 tbsp. plus 2 tsp. Splenda No Calorie Sweetener (granulated)
    1 tsp. cornstarch
    Dash salt
    2 tbsp. fat-free liquid egg substitute (like Egg Beaters Original)
    1/2 tsp. light whipped butter or light buttery spread (like Brummel & Brown), room temperature
    1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
    1 tsp. cinnamon, divided
    1/2 tbsp. brown sugar (not packed)

Directions:
    In a medium pot, combine rice, 2 cups soymilk, Splenda, cornstarch, and salt. Set stove temperature to medium-high heat and bring mixture to a light boil, stirring occasionally.

Once boiling, continue to cook for 10 - 15 minutes, stirring frequently, until thick and creamy.

In a small bowl, combine egg substitute, butter, vanilla extract, 3/4 tsp. cinnamon, and remaining 1/2 cup soymilk, and mix well. Add to the pot and stir thoroughly.

Cook for an additional 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until mixture returns to a thick and creamy consistency.

Sprinkle with brown sugar and mix well. Top each serving with a dash of the remaining cinnamon and enjoy -- hot, cold, or anywhere in between!

MAKES 2 SERVINGS
  • lp91413
    Options
    Yes!

Rice, 1 cup.
    Milk, 2 cups.
    Boil the rice and milk and keep stiring it until it starts to get sticky then add some truvia sugar, (calorie free) or some regular sugar......

Seriosuly, I think it has some good calories but it soooo filling and yummy

what kind of milk do you use? do you use white or brown rice?
  • lp91413
    Options
    thanks!! i am definitely keeping this recipe!
    Never tried this but I may now. Found it on Hungry Girl as a breakfast option.

Ingredients:
    1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice
    2 1/2 cups light vanilla soymilk, divided
    2 tbsp. plus 2 tsp. Splenda No Calorie Sweetener (granulated)
    1 tsp. cornstarch
    Dash salt
    2 tbsp. fat-free liquid egg substitute (like Egg Beaters Original)
    1/2 tsp. light whipped butter or light buttery spread (like Brummel & Brown), room temperature
    1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
    1 tsp. cinnamon, divided
    1/2 tbsp. brown sugar (not packed)

Directions:
    In a medium pot, combine rice, 2 cups soymilk, Splenda, cornstarch, and salt. Set stove temperature to medium-high heat and bring mixture to a light boil, stirring occasionally.

Once boiling, continue to cook for 10 - 15 minutes, stirring frequently, until thick and creamy.

In a small bowl, combine egg substitute, butter, vanilla extract, 3/4 tsp. cinnamon, and remaining 1/2 cup soymilk, and mix well. Add to the pot and stir thoroughly.

Cook for an additional 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until mixture returns to a thick and creamy consistency.

Sprinkle with brown sugar and mix well. Top each serving with a dash of the remaining cinnamon and enjoy -- hot, cold, or anywhere in between!

MAKES 2 SERVINGS