Daycare- lightly active

Options
Does working at a daycare count as lightly active, or am i fooling myself thinking I can eat more. :(

Replies

• iorahkwano
    iorahkwano Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I think so, you're standing and walking around a lot. It's more activity than you would get at an office job. You can also find more ways to make your job more physical. You could play physical games with the kids (Tag, hide & seek, passing a ball around, duck duck goose, chase them around outside, Simon Says, make up a fun "aerobics" game with jumping jacks, parachute game, etc.) I made the mistake of picking up one boy & swinging him around in circles with me. Next thing I knew, he wanted me to do it the ENTIRE recess break. Then some of the heftier kids wanted a turn lol.
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if you are working 8 hours a day in a daycare I would consider that to be moderate activity! Walking all day, chasing after kids, doing physical activities, ect. Seriously, moderate activity.
  • emilypink573
    emilypink573 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I work at a day care and i put lightly active. I work there 4 hours and then i babysit so i dont sit too much there either.
  • pinkgurl87
    Options
    Ok that's what i put. Sometimes I'm sitting down to play with the kids. Though other times I'm standing, chasing them, picking them up , one girl I have to carry or help walk cause she's older but not walking on her own.
  • nicleed
    nicleed Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Man I chase two kids around (one school aged and one still at home with me) and that is lightly active. You are totally OK!
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if you are working 8 hours a day in a daycare I would consider that to be moderate activity! Walking all day, chasing after kids, doing physical activities, ect. Seriously, moderate activity.

^^^^ this ^^^^
    try wearing a fitbit or a pedometer - if you hit 10000 steps a day you are moderate!
  • Anastasie
    Anastasie Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yes. I work at a daycare too and I count mine as lightly active. It really depends on how mobile the group you have. For example, the bitty babes don't move much so I wouldn't count that any more active as a desk job. The 4-5 year olds, I would say base it on the type of activities you're doing with them. However the ages where they're learning to walk (like the toddler rooms, ages 1-3 approximately) tend to be more active, and I count that lightly active. Especially since you spend so much time rounding them up and cleaning up after them (and teaching them to help with clean up, etc.).
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I teach preschool too. I'm in my classroom or on the playground for 40 hours a week. Just the number of times I sit down on the floor, stand up and walk across the room, sit down in a kid-size chair, stand up and run across the room, sit down on the floor, stand up and walk across the room.....familiar? And all the actual *playing* with the kids. It's physical. It's certainly not sedentary, lol!!
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I have a home daycare of 12 kids. I'm always on the go! Between the kids, keeping my house clean, and everything else I get done. I usually burn 3000-3500 calories a day (within 24 hrs). I don't log anything from my daycare hours. I start at 6:40am and go till 5:15pm. I only log my workouts that are out of my regular day. I figure my body expects that every day so I don't log it. (That's just me)

I log at sedentary. I know many wouldn't agree. Some days I sit on the floor and play. Others we're up and running around.
  • nhughes1864
    nhughes1864 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I'm a teacher, though not daycare, and I count it as light activity.