Newbie to the site and exercise :D

Options
Hello! My name is Annie and I'm on an ambitious goal to lose 56 pounds. Right now I'm at my highest weight ever and I absolutely hate it! 170 pounds. Ive recently started a new job with a very sedentary atmosphere, which has led me to gain about 24 pounds. Ive always been good at making up excuses not to hit the gym after work to excises: college, homework, work..ha you name it I've probably used it.
I realized that my main problem is the lack of exercise and the horrible types of foods (quick snacks). As embarassing as it is, Ive never actually "worked out" Before this past Monday.
Ive started eating 1200 calories a day and an hour max of cardio/ yoga..it feels great!
What usually helps people to stay motivated at the gym for longer than an hour?
What was your motivation to start?

Just wanted to introduce myself :)

Replies

• london1811
    london1811 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hello! My name is Annie and I'm on an ambitious goal to lose 54 pounds. Right now I'm at my highest weight ever and I absolutely hate it! 170 pounds. Ive recently started a new job with a very sedentary atmosphere, which has led me to gain about 24 pounds. Ive always been good at making up excuses not to hit the gym after work to excises: college, homework, work..ha you name it I've probably used it.
    I realized that my main problem is the lack of exercise and the horrible types of foods (quick snacks). As embarassing as it is, Ive never actually "worked out" Before this past Monday.
    Ive started eating 1200 calories a day and an hour max of cardio/ yoga..it feels great!
    What usually helps people to stay motivated at the gym for longer than an hour?
    Just wanted to introduce myself :)

Hi! I've also got an ambitious goal to lose around 60lbs, and really need to get back into going to the gym! A couple of years ago I used to go 4 times a week for about 80 mins each time, really no idea how i did it....really need to find that motivation again! I think for me it was once I started seeing results and actually enjoying the feeling I got after exercise that I got really motivated to be there.
  • tycoluk
    Options
    Hi

I've got a sedentary job too, and the snacks are a killer. Particularly in a big office where it is always somebodys birthday....

But you can do it, and so can I. The worst part is always making yourself go when you're exhausted and its cold....but once you get to the gym, I find I'm OK with staying. I've found that the length of time I stay (although I'm just restarting going again, so it could change) depends on what I'm trying to do. If I'm doing mainly cardio, I only really need to stay 45 minutes. If I'm doing weights, same. If both, its longer. If you're looking to stay at the gym more than an hour, I'd say, vary your time. Not just in a single session (e.g. cardio, then weights, then yoga) but from session to session (I don't go on the treadmill every time for example). Er. I've rambled a bit. Sorry. Hope this helps!
  • pili90
    pili90 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm also new and have the same problem. I use to make up excuses for not going to the gym.

I also have an ambitious goal.

We can do it! :)
  • blood6338
    blood6338 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    The gym I go to has televisions and some of the equipment is set up to connect to local radio or have plug ins for your Ipods. I also have a Kindle and like to read so that helps me kill time while burning calories.
  • TheJ_Net
    Options
    Hi and welcome to MFP! I'm not exactly new, I joined last year and was good for a couple of months before life got in the way (isn't that the way it always starts?) I've found that once I'm at the gym, I'm good. I'm in the zone and I feel amazing after a good workout. I've also found that if I have a plan to meet someone up at the gym, I'm more likely to go and even when I'm by myself. Once I get in to a routine, I'm golden. I just have to get started and keep my eye on the prize.

Since I got married 2 and a half years ago, I've put on about 30 lbs and it needs to go. And it would be nice to actually use the gym membership I'm paying for.

Good luck with the workouts and weight loss. If you ever need a motivation buddy or just someone to say hey, feel free to add me.
  • btayl506
    btayl506 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I always used school as an excuse to not workout "oh too much homework.. better study instead" when in reality I knew I was just too lazy! I always had time to watch TV but not work out.. so now, I watch TV at my gym! I love it. That's how I motivated myself, going to the gym during my favorite TV shows and watching them while riding a stationary bike or walking on the treadmill, it also gives me a set time to go to the gym as well! :) Good luck with your weight loss!
  • pwalkerbaker
    Options
    HI, just signed up the other night and I am feeling really good about it. I have about 50 lbs i would l like to lose, but am breaking it up in smaller increments so I don't become overwhelmed So, ed and give up.So, for now, I' m saying i have 20 lbs to lose.

Almost all of my life I weighed 100 lbs. But,, when I was put on antidepressants for bipolar and i gained 100 lbs. a few years ago, I went to Jenny Craig and lost 30 lbs and have kept it off. tSo, here i go again. this time on my fitness pal and all of you!

thanks,
    Paula