Recovering from an eating disorder

Options
Hey there,

So I'm trying to recover from an eating disorder (anorexia binge-purge type) and I would really want to know if there are people out there in the same situation as me. We could help each other. I'm currently 5'7'', 105 lbs and I would like to be healthier. My lowest weight was 88-89 pounds and I could barely walk without fainting at that time. I really don't want to slip back into my bad habits.
Add me if you're interrested, it would mean a lot. Thank you <3

- A

Replies

• nuemmedigg
    nuemmedigg Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Hi there, so I'm not in your cathegory, but I have a daughter who is, and I know the struggle secondhand. Feel free to add me if you think I can help.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Not me, but there are many people here who have struggled with ED. Be careful because although encouraging ED is against the rules here, there are still some people with a very unhealthy relationship with food, who give advice that you should not follow.

Best wishes in your continued recovery!
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    At 5'7" and 105lbs. You need a doctor, not MFP. You will find more triggers on here.
  • ShunkyDave
    ShunkyDave Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I dated a binge-purge in college. I had the idea she was like that, so I'd take her out to eat, but we'd have to drive an hour and a half (the stated target was an attraction or movie in another city), we'd eat, and then before she could use the restroom I'd surprise her and we had to go (I'd give the waiter my card when the food came, he rang me up before we were five bites in). Then I'd drive for at least two hours while we talked and listened to music. After the first time, she knew what was up and we talked about it. She learned that I loved the way she looked, and through other therapy got over it. I don't know how she's doing now, but it was a great relationship. I miss her.
  • btayl506
    btayl506 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Sadly, I know what you mean! While mine never got that bad... (my lowest was 95 pounds) .. I went through a horrible break up which caused me to stop eating... I'm not sure what it was but then I started getting smaller and smaller and thought maybe if I was skinny he would come back to me.. which is where everything started. I am proud to say I am at a healthy weight now and my goal is to continue healthy eating habits while remaining at a healthy weight. If you want to talk about anything, feel free to add me :)
  • GosuLoli
    Options
    Hi,
    I've been in recovery from an ED for about six months now, and I've started to notice myself slipping back into my old habits, purging after overeating and restricting my calorie intake to quite a bit below what it should be. The only thing I'd be concerned about going on here is the chance of slipping back into old habits. The forum admins won't be able to notice any pro-ana or pro-mia posts as soon as they appear, it'll probably be a bit of time before they get deleted, so there is a risk of being triggered - just take everything with a pinch of salt and try and remember the reasons you recovered. By the way, when you say you're trying to be healthier, do you mean losing, gaining or maintaining? Best of luck in your journey to be healthier, and if anyone's in the same boat, feel free to add me or want a chat or anything :)
  • peaceloveweedandveggies
    Options
    I'm trying to recover too. It's so hard, but worth it.
  • emilyynicole98
    Options
    I was bulimic for 7 years. Feel free to add me.
  • offroadwoman
    Options
    I am where you are right now, I am 5'9" and currently 132. But when I look in the mirror I see fat. I used to be 265 pounds and just can't seem to get that image of me out of my head. You can friend me too. I know I need help too.
  • veggieshark
    veggieshark Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I'm totally in your situation, except I'm considering myself mostly recovered. I had anorexia nervosa restrictive subtype, but throughout recovery I stuggled with bingeing and purging. I'd love to help you out.
    My name is Lindsey.
    I am 5'9.5"
    My lowest weight was 107lb (ouch. no really it was physically painful)
    My current weight is 124lb (I'm not quite done gaining)
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,149 MFP Staff
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! Thank you for your bravery and honesty in sharing your journey. I noticed a few folks mentioned to be careful posting about an eating disorder and I wanted to clarify our community guidelines.

First and foremost, Those seeking support in their recovery from eating disorders are welcome at MyFitnessPal.

Although we don't allow the promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders:
    3. No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders
    a) Posts intended to promote potentially unsafe or controversial weight loss products or procedures, including non-medically prescribed supplements or MLM products will be removed without warning.
    b) Profiles, groups, messages, posts, or wall comments that encourage anorexia, bulimia, or very low calorie diets of any kind will be removed, and may be grounds for account deletion. This includes positive references to ana/mia, purging, or self-starving. Our goal is to provide users with the tools to achieve their weight management goals at a steady, sustainable rate. Use of the site to promote or glamorize dangerously low levels of eating is not permitted.
    c) Photos intended to glamorize extreme thinness will be deleted.

We do want those seeking support in their recovery to feel welcome in the MyFitnessPal community.

Thank you again for your participation in our community.

Respectfully,
    Olivia
    MFP Community Staff