Steel Cut Oat Enthusiasts....

Options
....I have a question for you!

I don't like fruit in my oatmeal - I don't know why but I don't - however, I wanted to have the flavor of fruit in my oatmeal. I really wanted to do this with blueberries when I'm cooking a huge batch in the crockpot. Any suggestions as to how I can do this if I don't want to eat the berries but have their flavor in there??

Replies

• RoseAmongThorns91
    RoseAmongThorns91 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Wow! Really? No help?
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    we put dried fruit in our steel cut oats in the crockpot recipe, but my daughter just picks out the fruit pieces, she loves the flavor but not the texture of the fruit itself.

or add fruit juice in place of some of the water when you cook it
  • RockstarPunch
    RockstarPunch Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    use fruit extract:flowerforyou: , or maybe a celestial fruit (caffiene free) tea bag in the crockpot when you add the water and oats and take it out when its done? just an idea..... I :heart: steel cut oats theyre great in smoothies raw:drinker:
  • AMYJK7110
    AMYJK7110 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Blueberry jam or jelly?
  • IrishHarpy1
    IrishHarpy1 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Blueberry jam or jelly?

I was going to say this... or maybe puree the fruit before putting it in?
  • elsiesnow
    elsiesnow Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Treat the fruit like you would a bundle of herbs in a soup or stew - wrap them up in a bundle of cheesecloth, and then you can take it out when you are done cooking, and you won't have to eat any of them. My grocery store has cheesecloth (just fabric with a really wide mesh/weave) in the cooking supplies section of the store.

I've never tried this - just an idea for you. But I think it would work.
  • Cherylld89
    Cherylld89 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Apple juice worked for me
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    steel cut oats are amazing.

sorry my contribution is so awful.

:)
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Treat the fruit like you would a bundle of herbs in a soup or stew - wrap them up in a bundle of cheesecloth, and then you can take it out when you are done cooking, and you won't have to eat any of them. My grocery store has cheesecloth (just fabric with a really wide mesh/weave) in the cooking supplies section of the store.

I've never tried this - just an idea for you. But I think it would work.

this is what I would say
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Switch out half the water with blueberry juice. Most blueberry juice isn't "pure", so you really need to read the label. Have you tried cooking your steel cut oats in a steamer? Takes half an hour and you don't have to stir it. :wink:
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I don't like fruit in my oatmeal, but it's the tartness I don't like. I will eat fruit seperate, but not in my Steel Cut Oats. I don't like all the sweeteners maple syrup, and sugar also, so I use apple butter or peanut butter.
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    maybe buy the freeze dried blueberries & pulverize them, add in as a powder instead of whole berries. i never bought them with the intent to do this but I've used the powder left at the bottom of the container of my freeze dried berries in oatmeal & it was yummy
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I love steel cut oats, but who says it has to be fruit? Why not make it with other flavorings? I'm a fan of adding fruit myself. Add applesauce or puree some berries before adding them if you do like the fruit.
  • Skeebee
    Skeebee Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    maybe buy the freeze dried blueberries & pulverize them, add in as a powder instead of whole berries. i never bought them with the intent to do this but I've used the powder left at the bottom of the container of my freeze dried berries in oatmeal & it was yummy

This sounds like a good idea!
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Thanks, it is pretty good. The more i think about it i actually prefer it that way. i might start crushing them on purpose now :)
  • TheConsciousFoody
    TheConsciousFoody Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I usually puree the fruit unless I Putin blueberries. Too hard not to eat those
  • RoseAmongThorns91
    RoseAmongThorns91 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    All of these ideas sounds wonderful - thank you!!
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I like mine with chopped bananas. If you want to try it with banana you could mash the banana up beforehand and mix it in.
  • st3f4real
    st3f4real Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Preheat oven 350 degrees

4 heaping tablespoons peanut butter
    4 eggs worth of flaxseed [4 tbsp ground flaxseed+ 12 tbsp water] [the original recipe called for 4 egg whites but we did not have eggs]
    Cinnamon (to your liking) I sprinkle a generous amount and just eyeball it
    2-3 mashed bananas (I used a potato masher)
    10 stevia packets
    Quick Cook Steel cut oats (pour in as much as you think would soak up the liquid while cooking) I eyeball this since I do not mind if they have an extra oatmeal taste. Stir in oatmeal until it thickens and becomes the consistency of cookie dough.

Bake at 350 degrees 30 minutes or until they have risen a little and do not have too much moisture left. They will still be moist. I am experimenting with cooking them a little bit more each time to see how dry I can make them and have them still edible.

*I made them in mini loaf pans today (spraying the pans with cooking spray before baking) and they look and smell like mini banana bread loafs. I put them in individual containers and refrigerate them for the week to bring for snack at work or eat for breakfast/dessert at home.

Who knew oatmeal could be so easy to prepare and be so tasty!!!
  • Dee_84
    Dee_84 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    ....I have a question for you!

I don't like fruit in my oatmeal - I don't know why but I don't - however, I wanted to have the flavor of fruit in my oatmeal. I really wanted to do this with blueberries when I'm cooking a huge batch in the crockpot. Any suggestions as to how I can do this if I don't want to eat the berries but have their flavor in there??

I like the Duncan Hines Frosting creations packages to flavor my plain yogurt. They should also work well in oatmeal.
    They come in flavors like strawberry shortcake or cherry vanilla.