They call me big country...let's drop the big part.

Options
Hello everyone,

My name is Travis. I'm happy to be here, joining the MFP community. I just recently discovered MFP on Thursday, and I think me and it are going to be friends.....GOOD friends.

I've tried losing weight in the past, but I think I'm surprisingly backwards than some people. I love to workout, and would work out faithfully.....but never changed my diet, which of course would lead to failure, and failure would lead to a quitting of working out. Well the other day I stumbled across MFP from a link, and for kicks, put in my food for that day. I was shocked to see that it was over 3k calories! (My lunch alone carried 1200!!!!)

So after seeing that, mixed with having stood on the scale moments before (and seeing 281 where I swore 3 weeks ago it said 265....) and seeing my wardrobe of XL shirts slowly fading into 2XL, I decided that it was time I move forward and make the choice.

This is now my third day, and for once, I've hit below my caloric intake of the day. I need 1930 or less, I took in roughly 1500ish, and worked off 500ish from cardio, leaving a net of 1k (keep in mind, I skipped breakfast.... not on purpose. Won't happen again....i swear it!) . And make no mistake...i didn't starve myself today. I've also re-added my protein bars and powder....making me feel like my old football days, lol.

My current weight sits at 281. My goal is 215 by the end of the year (or less than 20% BMI. Thinking about 15%ish) I've begun attempting to regain the mindset that we as humans need to eat for energy, not for enjoyment. Hopefully this will pick up rather quickly for the beginning portion, and then stick to a point where I can still eat things that are enjoyable, but in a smarter sense.

I've also talked my wonderful wife into joining with me on this crusade. She's decided to drop 10-15 lbs. Lucky duck is already skinny as it is, lol (her goal is 120-125ish...her current is 130-135ish). but she mainly wants to do it for the health and fitness part, more-so than the weight part.

Anyhow, any and all tips are really appreciated. I've got a good friend at work who is a health/fitness nut, so it'll be nice to come here with questions instead of hounding him 24/7.....poor guy might start sending me bills as a personal trainer.

Well as I was saying, it's a pleasure to meet everyone!

Replies

• jessward12
    jessward12 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You got this!!!
  • Justkritter
    Justkritter Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Hey buddy! Welcome to MFP. First of all though I'd just want to say (some others may not agree with me) to not drastically drop your calories. If you really wanna just cut it down then do it slowly maybe 200-300 less a week from your total. Taking out that much calories from your usual 3000 will just result to low metabolism. You will really lose weight but at the expense of being sluggish and other signs of weakness. So yeah, I suggest to really take it slowly in dropping off calories and in the long run adding weight lifting will surely help you out to maintain a good figure as you lose weight. Note though that most often when you try to lose weight with lifting you'd still want a bit more calories as you don't want to impale your metabolism.

Have fun here man! Add me up if you want!
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are heading into this with a good attitude and healthy mindset. Be patient, be diligent, don't give up. This is a marathon, not a sprint. Good luck!
  • jessward12
    jessward12 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Be patient, be diligent, don't give up. This is a marathon, not a sprint.
    I have to tell myself that EVERYDAY!!!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    You can do this!

There will be good days and there will be bad days. Don't let the bad days get you down.

Good Luck!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Welcome it's an awesome site, just watch out for people try to sell you magic potions.
  • the_maverik
    Options
    Thanks for the big welcome everyone. Me and my wife took our "before" shots last night. We will probably take one every Saturday night, or every 2nd Saturday.

As for everyone asking about strength training: We are doing strength as well. Hence the reason for all the protein in my diary. Trying to help build up the lean muscle as soon as possible, since as we all know: Lean muscle(+) = Higher metabolic rate = more calories burned even when not in the gym.

Also, I think one thing that is going to help with this endeavor, is that we've never been a soda pop family (inside the house, atleast). I can't remember the last time a soda graced our fridge/cupboards. We drink only Crystal light, water, and chocolate milk (which is going to be cut down to a minimum due to the sugar content of Nesquik). Our biggest problem for sodas came from us eating out, which happens quite often. Myself especially, am a heavy fast food eater because I'm on the road quite a bit for my job (I cover a huge span of DFW school system's computer repairs.) And thus everyday while on the road would end up with a soda in hand for lunch.

Now however, we've cut sodas from any of our out eating, and just ask for a cup of water. It's amazing how much money it saves as well.....we walked out of subway yesterday with a meal for two at only 8$ (denied soda and meal combo, since the combo just adds a cookie or chips).

Anyhow, I've got to get going for the day. I have to replace the thermostat in my Altima and get some errands done today. Hope everyone has a great day!