Suggest good salad dressings please!

Options

Replies

• MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    If you can afford it, buy a very good balsamic vinegar and a nice olive oil (not the varieties you get at the supermarket, go to a specialty store). Pour lightly over your salad in a combination to your taste. I generally like 3 times vinegar to one part oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper - should taste wonderful!

I find if I use very nice ingredients I can use a lot less and get a good flavour hit.
  • RAQUELINATOVAR
    RAQUELINATOVAR Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I like the emril salad dressings. I order them online when the grocery store runs out.
  • tootoop224
    tootoop224 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Newman's Own, Low Fat Sesame Ginger. Use apples and or grapes, tomatoes, olives an carrots. So many flavors that work well together and only 35 calories per 2 tablespoons.
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Salad Dressing
    1 tbsp of olive oil
    2 Tbsp of rice Vinegar
    2 Tbsp of Honey
    1 Tsp of Dijon Mustard
    mix all and then pour over salad and stir
    let it sit ad it is great much better than
    the junk on the market
    I like it better than the bought stuff

I make my own as well. But, I use Cider vinegar, skip the added oil... just the cider vinegar, dijon mustard and a lite amount of agave to sweeten. Makes an awesome and very low fat honey mustard. I didn't miss the oil.
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    P.S. I've found that adding other things to the salad can make up for less dressing and give more flavor.

For example, some of my favorites are

1. Baby spinach with dried cranberries, sliced almonds and honey mustard dressing lightly coating

2. Spring mix with pecans, dried cranberries, sliced/diced apples, some pieces of diced up grilled chicken, crumbled goat cheese, and a pomegranate vinaigrette.

And for some fun, if you haven't found this thread yet, you might want to check out:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/738594-more-salad-ideas-than-you-can-shake-a-stick-at
  • kathym1122
    kathym1122 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I love walden farms raspberry I buy it at sprouts
  • lokin4deer
    lokin4deer Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I am far simplier then most of you. I eat this every day. About 2/3 red wine vinegar (the cheap stuff stuff from walmart) and 1/3 extra virgin olive oil (the stuff from aldis) I pre mix it and store it in the cabinet. Although I will say the spicy mustard one sounds intersting. I am spicy guy for sure!
  • nyssa1231
    nyssa1231 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I just sprinkle some good quality olive oil and balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper, and toss. Right now I'm totally into this pomegranate balsamic vinegar that we found. Before that, it was fig. Yum!
  • 2gabbee
    2gabbee Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Bump. Thanks for sharing everyone. Several I need to try.Been stuck in a rut!
  • BaDaSsBrUnEtTe
    BaDaSsBrUnEtTe Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    i love newmans own balsamic vinnaigrette i beleive its 45 calories per tablespoon.
  • breasonable
    breasonable Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I love walden farms raspberry I buy it at sprouts

Me to!!!!!
  • maryannelk
    maryannelk Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    for me the best dressing is a little bit of olive oil salt garlic and some onion powder. the oil brings out the nutriants in the veggies. and having 2 teaspoons of a healthy oil such as olive oil or canola oil is good for you.

Second this, especially if you can get a good quality olive oil! There's nothing better! Trader Joe's has an estate EVOO that is rated really highly and a bargain!
  • jennfranklin
    jennfranklin Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I like Newmans own Sesame Ginger, keeping it light!
  • tiffanybigler
    Options
    I use a raspberry vingerette with poppyseed, really good, the other thing I do sometimes is mix in low fat cottage cheese with my salad and the juices from that are enough to moisten the lettuce!
  • cyndispot
    cyndispot Posts: 135
    Options
    I LOVE Ranch dressing. L.O.V.E. it. But at 140 calories per 2 Tbsp. I can't do it like I'd like. This week I found this recipe on Pinterest and we like it.

1 cup plain greek yogurt (we used AE because it was all the store had, so two small ones were 260 calories)
    1/2 cup skim milk (40 calories)
    3 Tbsp (1 packet) dry Ranch powder

So for 2 TBSP it's like 20 calories. I figured around 16 servings for the whole thing.

And now I can have Ranch dressing again.
  • iecreamheadaches
    iecreamheadaches Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    raspberry vinagrette, its great. had it for the first time at my in-laws last night. His mom made a salad with your general bag of (darker) green salad mix, apples, strawberries, celery, and some kind of nut. IT WAS SO GOOD.
  • roselover58
    roselover58 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Not sure if it has been said, but Walden Farms is a good one. They are naturally flavored, and do not contain carbs, sugar, gluten. The Sesame Ginger is good, and although not the best, the Bleu cheese is acceptable.

I just got the Chipotle Ranch and the Bacon Ranch yesterday. Will try them this week. I eat a lot of salads, and I try to stay away from sugar and have to stay away from gluten, so it is a good choice. Zero calories!
  • roselover58
    roselover58 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I love Walden Farms Ranch dressing - and its zero calories! Look for it in the refrigerated section. Yummy

At HEB, the Walden Farms is located on the shelf, so look both places, just in case. Actually, I saw them at Target in the Gluten free aisle.
  • deb5cent
    deb5cent Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Try Bolthouse dressing. Are in refrigerated section be salad in my store. lots of different flavors. They are yogurt based. Good and healthy. Rec by dietician.
  • Helenal91
    Options
    I like to have low fat yoghurt with chopped chives and some black pepper