Old habits die hard!

Options
in my case it is getting seriously hard to kill my old habits.

You can tell me all you want to 'just get up and do it' 'commit yourself' 'you have to do it'

I am very used to being lazy. it is a very hard habit to break. as much as I crave to lose weight i am way too used to being lazy.

I have begun to feel like I am never going to break that habit!

Replies

• florymonde
    florymonde Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you need to start with small changes. Maybe you'll park at the back of the lot and walk a bit farther, or take the stairs instead of the elevator. And that's all that you'll change for this week, or maybe even this month.

As you succeed at small changes, you'll build your confidence in yourself, and come to believe that you do have the power to make changes. Then you can gradually start making larger changes.

Some people can make dramatic changes. (My DH tends to do that.) But, they're often not permanent. I'm a person who changes a bit at a time, so that's the way I have to do things.
  • sleibo87
    sleibo87 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    For me exercise is the easy part it's sticking to eating healthy that's hard. especially if they bring it to work or my husband wants ice cream, either was its the baby steps that matter most, they add up . good luck
  • CassandraLove09
    Options
    For me exercise is the easy part it's sticking to eating healthy that's hard. especially if they bring it to work or my husband wants ice cream, either was its the baby steps that matter most, they add up . good luck

I can eat healthy as long as I have it in the house to eat. it's the running out of it and not wanting to go to the store that screws with me haha!
  • CassandraLove09
    Options
    Perhaps you need to start with small changes. Maybe you'll park at the back of the lot and walk a bit farther, or take the stairs instead of the elevator. And that's all that you'll change for this week, or maybe even this month.

As you succeed at small changes, you'll build your confidence in yourself, and come to believe that you do have the power to make changes. Then you can gradually start making larger changes.

Some people can make dramatic changes. (My DH tends to do that.) But, they're often not permanent. I'm a person who changes a bit at a time, so that's the way I have to do things.

I already do that. I hardly ever park too close unless it is raining or super windy/cold. Plus i don't remember the last time I had to be some place that even had an elevator. i just can't get up off my butt and actually workout.
  • sallydurkin
    sallydurkin Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    What worked best for me, (I to am lazy) is I got a pedometer. I put it on every morning, I have a min amount of steps I need to acheieve I started out low and have worked my way up. And I do an average so if my goal is 10 000 (I have been working at this for a year, I started at 3.500) per day if I know that all week I have been around 15 000 then saturday and sunday I can be lazy and sit on the computer all day.... unless I have other things to do but I don't have to worry about my steps. I go to the mall to walk my steps, I started running up and down the stairs at the mall for a cardio boost. Now I love it. Can't wait for my kids to go back to school Monday so I can go again.
    hope that help someone.

After reading somemore how about creating postive rewards for yourself, when you've worked out for a week you can buy new workout songs from itunes or a new book to read at the gym, after a month a new piece of clothing or hair cut????
    But make yourself do the work to get it, if you don't go you don't get it.
  • superstar_commish
    Options
    in my case it is getting seriously hard to kill my old habits.

You can tell me all you want to 'just get up and do it' 'commit yourself' 'you have to do it'

I am very used to being lazy. it is a very hard habit to break. as much as I crave to lose weight i am way too used to being lazy.

I have begun to feel like I am never going to break that habit!

I used to be like that. On and off on workout routines until I got really heavy at the age of 19.
    So, I took a gross looking picture of myself, shirt off, and saw how fat I was.

I had that picture on the left side, to the right was what I wanted to look like. It got me going to start working out and as soon as I saw progress, I kept going and never stopped.
  • CassandraLove09
    Options
    Soda is also a really really hard habit to quit. my mom always keeps it in the house.
  • sallydurkin
    sallydurkin Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    In the end, You have to want it MORE then you want the soda or MORE than wanting to be lazy!!!!!