5:2 - The Fast Diet

Options
Anyone done 5:2 - 5 days eating normally, 2 days fasting - its not really fasting you eat about 500 cals.

As a Scientist I'm very intruiged by the body chemistry. Just wondered if anyone had tried it and what the results were like?

Replies

• JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    You might be interested in the intermittent fasting group and its forum: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/66-intermittent-fasting There's discussion there on 5:2, as well as other forms of intermittent fasting.

ETA: I saw Michael Mosley's Horizon documentary on 5:2 and found if very interesting. I already do IF to some extent, but I may try 5:2 soon.
  • Bodhizephyr
    Options
    Thanks I'll go there
  • chervil6
    chervil6 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    yeah i did my 1st fast yesterday , went fine , was harder for the last couple of hours before bed , but i was fine and i didnt wake up hungry as i thought i might .... my next fast will be wednesday or thursday ....

i bought the book The FAST Diet last friday and saw the tv program last year ........
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Both my wife and myself have been 5:2 fasting since August with great results.

(By the way the term fasting doesn't just mean eating nothing, it includes restricting or excluding types of foods.)
  • Camcee
    Camcee Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    After i saw this documentary, I changed my eating to this similar pattern and for the first time in my life was able to lose weight. I dropped 15 kilos/33 pounds in a little under 6 months, I have a lot more to lose but found this was the only way of eating I could sustain, it worked for me and i found great freedom in following this.

What I do is basically eat one or two meals and a small snack every day (a very satisfying large meal which may or may not include a small desert depending on how I feel), and then water fast one day per week or for 2 days per week eat around 600 calories per day.

One great thing I have found is even if I have a 'blow out' day, I don't seem to see the scale go up as much as I used to when I over ate, when I go back to the same type of eating/fasting, it drops off quickly and I start losing again straight away. For me I have found what works and am sticking with it!
    :smile: