New Year does not mean a new beginning!

Options
your new beginning starts when you realize your life is taking a wrong turn. when are we going to stop using "new year's resolutions" as an excuse to lose weight. why can't it start today, right now, this minute! NO MORE EXCUSES!! you are your only excuse!!

Replies

• mambagirl
    mambagirl Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I 100% AGREE! But,I was once one of those people always making a New Years resolution to lose weight too so I understand.I just wish that everyone realized that they can start now! The next meal.
  • tumblindice
    tumblindice Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    No excuses huh? You hit the nail on the head straight on!
  • PrincessNikkiBoo
    PrincessNikkiBoo Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    You got it!
  • brendalast
    brendalast Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I agree I am starting today going to give all the Christmas goodies to my Grandchildren when they come later.
  • TheKeithEllis
    TheKeithEllis Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I find it really odd that people take the decision to start in the new year, your journey should start the moment you are thinking about doing it. Yes, it's harder over the festive period (I've had a mare keeping a lid on things!) but to wait for a particular date for me is not accepting the lifestyle change required to get you there.
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    Why dump on all of the people who do start fresh? At least they are starting. I can understand why people start Jan. 1. Maybe it's a mental thing with numbers. Maybe it's because this time of the year is hectic. I mean, I've been only able to get to the gym twice because of holiday hours and my extended work schedule because of the end of the year renewals, new contracts, blah blah blah.

Yes, we should start now, but I'm not going to dump on the people who use Jan. 1st to attempt to get started. Even if they don't stick with it, at least they started.
  • BigDnSW
    BigDnSW Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Whatever...when you gonna start??? I never have and never will make excuses or false promises. I inherited this weight gain from 2 devastating accidents and meds...now I am in the middle of an 11 year rehab and finally losing cuz now I am able and now I can. No mo, no less. No whining here...just Git R Done as you can and as you are able. Just disabled in bod, not mind and it's mind over matter and I matter and my wife matters and we have our minds wrapped around it all. BTW...wife is a babe...that's motervation....Rant Done.
  • yorkshirekevin
    yorkshirekevin Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Good luck to 'new year starters' and those already on MFP.

I started here 5 weeks ago after my GP gave me the 'you need to lose weight, you're at risk of this and that condition' warning.

So far 8 lbs lost, with both my birthday and Christmas happening during that period!

I'm trying to limit myself to the intake suggested by MFP, but sometimes exceed the limits.

Doing 3 sessions of 40-60 minutes a week at the gym, followed by 20-30 minutes swimming.

MFP is great for monitoring food intake and exercise output.

New year for me will mean an increased resolution to lose weight!
  • jlwilliams80
    Options
    Be your own kind of beautiful! I love the fact that everyone is taking a stand in there health - good luck to you all :smooched:
  • AmandaRaeLeo
    AmandaRaeLeo Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If making "get healthy" a resolution for the New Year gets the job done then rock on!

Amanda Rae
  • yorkshirekevin
    yorkshirekevin Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    3 more pounds lost!

New, smaller, trousers bought.

Hope everyone is having similar success :smile:
  • Rachielous
    Rachielous Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I agree I am starting today going to give all the Christmas goodies to my Grandchildren when they come later.

Please let me be your grandchild!
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    As long as people start, who cares why and when they choose to?... as long as they start and carry on.
  • barbaramitchell101
    barbaramitchell101 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    all during my life when I made a NEW YEARS RESOLUTION to lose weight, NOTHING changed when Jan first came.....probably BECAUSE I set a future date.....I started my journey when I had had enough......
  • shirleycooke35
    Options
    I agree to some extent. My beginning was Christmas Eve! (2012) and I lost 2lbs by New Year! But if you have "fallen by the wayside" during the festive season it can be hard to get back so a "new beginning" can be an incentive. As of today (6th Juanuary) I have lost 6lbs and as a life long dieter that is excellent for me!
  • mayramortician
    Options
    I was on anti depressants that ballooned me up to 153lbs I used to be 115lbs before I went on the medicine now I'm down to 138 pounds still not where I want to be though I want to go down to 100 pounds before my wedding. Hope it can be done cause I've struggled with weight issues since I was 13 .