I don't get it!!!

Options
I didn't gain over christmas and ate what I liked , but since Tuesday I have been good or so I thought & I have exercised every day but I have gained 2 pound in less than a week!!!???

Replies

• Beaivi
    Beaivi Posts: 7
    Options
    I have no idea if this is medically sound advice or not, but I have found that sometimes weight gains/ losses take more time than I think to "catch up" on me. So the weight gain could be a delayed response from Christmas..
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Also, if you start up exercise after two weeks or rest, your body may be producing more cortisol than normal, and your muscles swell and retain water when sore. It's likely a water gain that will drop off soon enough.
  • c1aireee
    c1aireee Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    thanks for your replies, maybe christmas is catching up with me! also I only did walking over Christmas and not every day so me starting to exercise like I did before Christmas ( stationary bike Pilates step machine ) is probably a shock to the system!!! I will carry on this week & maybe the scales will be different next week!
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    You just hopped back on the workout routine again - your muscles are retaining water as they try to recover from the shock!

I'm sure you did not eat an extra 60000 calories this week!

Also is it close to TOM? --- water retention

Or how is your sodium levels this week?
  • elsinora
    elsinora Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Whether this is true or not, I cannot say. But I have been told by a number of personal trainers that it can take a week for a big change in diet (whether a lot more or less) to be truly reflected on the scale.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Whenever I have a 'bad' couple of days, it shows up on the scale about 4 or 5 days later. It's cruel.
  • fusion777
    fusion777 Posts: 197
    Options
    I have no idea if this is medically sound advice or not, but I have found that sometimes weight gains/ losses take more time than I think to "catch up" on me. So the weight gain could be a delayed response from Christmas..

I agree with this, it always catches up with me later. I weigh in obsessively the next day and the next day and think I beat the scale. All of a sudden 4-6 days later, there it is!

It's in your past now, just get back on track and the pounds will be history very soon!
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    Again, two pounds is a short quick expulsion in the toilet for me, I don't know why you are worrying, water weight a large dump?!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Starting a new exercise routine will usually result in water/glycogen retention. Normal.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • c1aireee
    Options
    so probably if I had kept up with my exercise over Christmas and new year it would helped later on?!
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    You are weighing yourself too often, then. Weight will fluctuate between 1-5 pounds, esp for women, so when you weigh yourself every few days, you are only going to get yourself frustrated. Watch your sodium intake, weigh in only once a week at the most, and drink lots of water. It's not 2 lbs of fat.
  • c1aireee
    Options
    You are weighing yourself too often, then. Weight will fluctuate between 1-5 pounds, esp for women, so when you weigh yourself every few days, you are only going to get yourself frustrated. Watch your sodium intake, weigh in only once a week at the most, and drink lots of water. It's not 2 lbs of fat.

I do only weigh myself once a week I just weighed myself on Tuesday cos it was New Year's Day & I wanted my start weight of the year
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    If you only weigh yourself weekly, then your weight could have been much higher, and the 2 lbs actually reflects a loss, not a gain. Or, your weight yesterday could have been 3 lbs lower with just an odd spike today.

Please don't worry about this!
  • Makeda1211
    Makeda1211 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Also, don't forget that when you add in working out to the mix, muscle weighs more than fat does. So, you might just have gained some lean muscle mass. Don 't worry yourself or let that derail you. As long as you start to see the difference in your clothes, you should be on the right track. ;-)
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    One question. Did you poop a lot? lol This happened to me Thanksgiving / Christmas 2011. Before the holidays I was about 10lbs shy of my goal weight and I couldn't for the life of me get it off. Then for Thanksgiving and Christmas I ate whatever I wanted (Can not turn down Moms amazing food) and I ended up losing those 10lbs. Not sure if it was because my body was in Shock or because the change in food made me use the bathroom more but I was Shocked.
  • LovelyLifter
    LovelyLifter Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Also, don't forget that when you add in working out to the mix, muscle weighs more than fat does. So, you might just have gained some lean muscle mass. Don 't worry yourself or let that derail you. As long as you start to see the difference in your clothes, you should be on the right track. ;-)

muscle does not weigh more than fat

Measure dear and ignore the scale you will have a much happier day
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Whenever I have a 'bad' couple of days, it shows up on the scale about 4 or 5 days later. It's cruel.
    FACT! It's awful!