Cla tablets! Weight loss help

Options
Hi everyone

I am in need of help as my birthday is coming up as well as my anniversary in two months I am desperate for some tips as i need to lose about 2stones.

Currently I am on 1200 calories 40/35/25 p/c/f with 1 hour of walking a day n housework as I am a busy housewife with a little one to run around! I have been taking cla well jus started to take these tablets as I heard they reduce body fat!

Has anyone used them? Are they any good? And if a carry on doing this diet wil I lose weight!

Please help

Replies

• Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Why such a low calorie intake? Why only walking for physical activity if you are running around after your little one anyway? How many steps are you talking on average each day, do you consistently hit 10,000? Does your diet contain a balance of all the food groups/ nutrients the body needs for optimum function? Are you eating plenty of reduced fat dairy and oily fish?

Research suggests CLA has a very modest effect on body composition over a fairly long time frame, don't rely on it.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    2 stone is 28 lbs right? If so that's probably too lofty of a goal. 2 lbs per week is considered a safe amount to lose, so that would mean 16 pounds IF you don't stall out. Setting a time frame like that always makes me nervous, it's setting yourself up to be disappointed if you don't make it, even if you made a lot of progress.

As for weight loss supplements, in general they don't work.

Just eat at a reasonable deficit, get some exercise, and be patient.

ETA: a quick (unscientific) google search reveals that Cla is controversial and has a small amount of research supporting its effectiveness.

Still, your focus should be on eating right and getting exercise. Even if it works as promised, the supplement isn't going to perform any miracles.
  • princesselle1
    princesselle1 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Why such a low calorie intake? Why only walking for physical activity if you are running around after your little one anyway? How many steps are you talking on average each day, do you consistently hit 10,000? Does your diet contain a balance of all the food groups/ nutrients the body needs for optimum function? Are you eating plenty of reduced fat dairy and oily fish?

Research suggests CLA has a very modest effect on body composition over a fairly long time frame, don't rely on it.

I am eating cereal for breakfast with boiled egg skim milk, cod or salmon for lunch or dinner with vege or a grilled chicken with vege. Snacks peanut butter, almonds!
  • princesselle1
    Options
    2 stone is 28 lbs right? If so that's probably too lofty of a goal. 2 lbs per week is considered a safe amount to lose, so that would mean 16 pounds IF you don't stall out. Setting a time frame like that always makes me nervous, it's setting yourself up to be disappointed if you don't make it, even if you made a lot of progress.

As for weight loss supplements, in general they don't work.

Just eat at a reasonable deficit, get some exercise, and be patient.

ETA: a quick (unscientific) google search reveals that Cla is controversial and has a small amount of research supporting its effectiveness.

Still, your focus should be on eating right and getting exercise. Even if it works as promised, the supplement isn't going to perform any miracles.

Yes 28 lbs! I knw I won't lose this really quick but my weightloss is at a standstill! Don't knw what to do. I'm not losing not even a 1 lbs a month
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    No tablet reduces body fat. ANY pill you would take cannot specifically target body fat, and if it "made you lose weight," it would be getting rid of muscle (not good). Save not only your money, but your health, as many "pills" that supposedly facilitate any sort of loss come with pretty tricksy side effects.

How much weight have you lost since coming on here in August? If you feel desperate to lose weight, and what you've been doing hasn't been working for you, try increasing your calories. Many people have trouble staying on 1200 calories a day, but that's what MFP sets as the standard "Oh, you want to lose two pounds a week?" which is unrealistic for people generally with an under 50 lb weight loss goal.

Try figuring out your BMR or TDEE on here, or on several websites like fat2fit.com. Try eating at your BMR if you're too nervous to go to the standard rec, which is eat 20% less than your TDEE (so if your TDEE is 2000, eat 1800). Weight loss may be slower, but it'll be much more sustainable because you'll be fueling your body more and there won't be a big transition from going from 1200 to "maintenance" when you reach your goal weight.

In the meantime, I HIGHLY recommend lifting if you have not already done so. Incorporate strength training (at least body weight), but specifically with heavy weights, and you will notice inches coming off before pounds. This not only allows for higher calorie consumption (woohoo!) but also helps "recompose" your body... meaning, you'll find your clothes fitting better, pictures looking better, and inches coming off faster than the number on the scale... but it'll happen much faster than you think :)
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options

I am eating cereal for breakfast with boiled egg skim milk, cod or salmon for lunch or dinner with vege or a grilled chicken with vege. Snacks peanut butter, almonds!

Get up to nine servings of low sugar fruits and non starchy vegetables and in the full rainbow of colours, three servings a day of reduced fat dairy, cod is healthy but no omega-3s (reduced bodyfat) and few B vitamins (energy production), salmon is great maybe consider mackerel or sardines, switch up the chicken it's far from the most nutritious meat. One boiled egg supplies a pathetic amount of protein unfortunately, try to increase your protein at breakfast because this nutrient boosts the metabolism.

I would be concerned you are not eating enough mineral and fibre rich foods - cereal and a small snack of nuts is unlikely to be enough, don't underestimate how much your body needs. To get all the calcium you need you would have to eat a kilo of peanuts, for iron 400g peanuts, for zinc 350g peanuts, for magnesium 200g peanuts! Obviously that is if you are not eating any from other sources, but it does give you an idea of the uphill task you face if you eat too low calories, cut food groups out/ back hard. Some seeds like flax, chia and pumpkin are much better sources of minerals than nuts, tho not of calcium which is best absorbed from dairy.

This is a great resource, allows you to compare 100g of different foods
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/finfish-and-shellfish-products/4045/2
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/finfish-and-shellfish-products/4259/2
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/poultry-products/703/2

What I am saying in a roundabout waffly way is consider that CLA is adding to your daily fat intake but nothing else. More oily fish, seeds, nuts, dairy and so on would supply your body with a raft of other nutrients that help keep your metabolism high, energy being produced and encourage the body to shed fat because there is no famine right? You have some great foods in there, it's a much better foundation than most.
  • princesselle1
    Options
    Thanks everyone some fantastic advice! Jus been doin this now for 4months with9 lbs lost which isn't alot so I dnt knw why it's not working for me and working well for so many other ppl. It's jus I can't get out to the gym cause of other problems I have going on so dieting and bein active at home and walking is what I can only do!

I'm jus worried that this is not working and will I Eva lose this weight! Jus feel depressed! My TDEE is 1707 so less 20%. Any other advice on what others are doin with their weightloss success that is working really well. Or an idea of what they eating or what a typical day for me should look like? Maybe a plan I can follow. I knw I'm going wrong some where just can't figure out where.
    Height 5ft 2in
    Weight 145lbs
    Goal 120 lbs

Please help! Dnt knw what to do!!
  • Findekano
    Findekano Posts: 116
    Options
    Hi everyone

I am in need of help as my birthday is coming up as well as my anniversary in two months I am desperate for some tips as i need to lose about 2stones.

Currently I am on 1200 calories 40/35/25 p/c/f with 1 hour of walking a day n housework as I am a busy housewife with a little one to run around! I have been taking cla well jus started to take these tablets as I heard they reduce body fat!

Has anyone used them? Are they any good? And if a carry on doing this diet wil I lose weight!

Please help

My bf is transgendered and uses these as part of his hormone treatment. Unless you want a deeper voice and facial hair, I'd advise against it.
  • firstsip
    Options
    Thanks everyone some fantastic advice! Jus been doin this now for 4months with9 lbs lost which isn't alot so I dnt knw why it's not working for me and working well for so many other ppl. It's jus I can't get out to the gym cause of other problems I have going on so dieting and bein active at home and walking is what I can only do!

I'm jus worried that this is not working and will I Eva lose this weight! Jus feel depressed! My TDEE is 1707 so less 20%. Any other advice on what others are doin with their weightloss success that is working really well. Or an idea of what they eating or what a typical day for me should look like? Maybe a plan I can follow. I knw I'm going wrong some where just can't figure out where.
    Height 5ft 2in
    Weight 145lbs
    Goal 120 lbs

A loss is a loss, even if it's low (and you're close to a healthy weight, so slower loss is to be expected); I'd recommend adding in other measures of progress. Take measurements with a soft measuring tape and take pictures. These are indicators of progress that don't always show on the scale (I've lost only eleven pounds over the year, but I'm in my "lighter" weight clothing at a much higher weight because of heavy lifting... inches have come off much more than the number on the scale). Again, I recommend heavy lifting... try looking into getting a trainer, or reading up on different weightlifting programs (like Women's Stronglifts 5x5). These help reduce body fat... and allow for much higher calories to eat in order to help build and/or sustain that muscle!
  • princesselle1
    Options

Height 5ft 2in
    Weight 145lbs
    Goal 120 lbs

A loss is a loss, even if it's low (and you're close to a healthy weight, so slower loss is to be expected); I'd recommend adding in other measures of progress. Take measurements with a soft measuring tape and take pictures. These are indicators of progress that don't always show on the scale (I've lost only eleven pounds over the year, but I'm in my "lighter" weight clothing at a much higher weight because of heavy lifting... inches have come off much more than the number on the scale). Again, I recommend heavy lifting... try looking into getting a trainer, or reading up on different weightlifting programs (like Women's Stronglifts 5x5). These help reduce body fat... and allow for much higher calories to eat in order to help build and/or sustain that muscle!

Thanks so much! Well done for the weight you have lost.I wil try this!
  • 20shan08
    20shan08 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    You're eating 1200 cals a day? Up your calories by 150-300 and you'll start losing again.
  • princesselle1
    Options
    You're eating 1200 cals a day? Up your calories by 150-300 and you'll start losing again.
    [/quote

Wil I not gain weight like this?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    CLA is ineffective if you aren't taking 3.2 to 4.6 grams per day. That's about 5 to 7 caps compared to the 3 caps a day they recommend.
    But even then, clinical study shows that CLA is very very moderate in assisting with weight loss. Basically it's going to come down to your "correct" calorie deficit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    [/quote

At such a low calorie intake you're going to gain regardless. Try 100 calorie increments. That is 25 grams of carbs per week.
  • firstsip
    Options

If you do, it'll be brief; water weight from a major change after a long time on 1200. Keep exercise up and gradually increase the calories to prevent this; even if a slight gain (we're talking 1-3 lbs probably), give it a few weeks and weight loss will return, and most likely with further losses than you had before, as your body will have more to fuel it... giving it less reason to hold onto what it's got ;)
  • frood
    frood Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    My TDEE is 1707 so less 20%.
    1707 - 20% = 1707 - 341 = 1366.
    ^This. Eating at 1200 is probably too much of a deficit for you.
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Ditto, you need to eat more. 1200 is bare bones if you don't work out or really move at all. I suggest aiming for 1600-1800.

CLA can help reduce body fat in the long haul, not instantly.
  • 20shan08
    20shan08 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    [/quote

No! You won't gain. When I spend too much time around 1200 calories, I stop losing and start gaining. 1400 calories works for me and even then, if I stop losing for a couple weeks, I up my calories some more and start dropping weight again. Sometimes it takes a day or two to lose but it works.

As far as pills go, I've researched lots and I just don't think they're worth it. There's no proof of anything working and if someone could purchase a 30$ bottle of pills to reduce belly fat, why are people paying 10,000$ for tummy tucks? What I worry about is that the pills will do more harm than good. What happens when you stop taking them? I admit, lots of pills have piqued my interest but after a lot of research, I don't bother. If you're eating 1400+ calories a day, eating healthy, exercising, it will be a lot more effective and log lasting than a bottle of pills!
  • horselady34
    horselady34 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I actually gained while taking cla, but everyones so different.
    diet pills and supplements dont aid in weight loss, no magic
    Or quick fixes. Its funny cause some supplements will actually
    Cause weight gain for me :(
  • princesselle1
    Options
    Thanks everyone! But I really struggle eating 1200 calories I always have about 250 always left so increasing them I wouldn't knw what else to eat!