If you want this to work

Options
There's quite a few people joining right now so I just want to give a few quick pieces of advice (take them in the spirit they're given - all friendly like):

(1) Complete your profile. If you want supportive friends on here, then people have to know who you are and what makes you tick. Post a pick, fill out the entire profile and show a little of the real you there. Give a little background, share your motivations and yes, what ticks you off. If you have a dieting philosophy that is working, share it, but also be open minded to reasoned criticism.

(2) Include a message with your friend request. Nothing is easier to say no to than a friend request without a message from someone who hasn't posted a pic and hasn't completed their profile. What's the point of having a friend who's shared nothing?

(3) Don't hide your diary, at least not from your friends. You want accountability, right?

(4) Log on every day and make sure you provide motivation to your current friends. Most people like pats on the back, and if you want them yourself, make sure you're giving them out.

(5) Take the process seriously but be light hearted. Someone who can't take a joke is just as irritating as someone who thinks everything is a joke.

That's all I got. Feel free to add more.

Replies

• Mac_X
    Mac_X Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Well said on all accounts, my friend.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    hmmm....I do my diary about 4 or 5 days a week..... I'm okay with it. Everything else sounds good. :)
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    hmmm....I do my diary about 4 or 5 days a week..... I'm okay with it. Everything else sounds good. :)

Nothing wrong with that.

Now, if you were on the forums whining that you can't achieve your goals on the other hand...
  • Steve_Runs
    Steve_Runs Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I don't wanna play that way and you can't make me! lol
  • mambagirl
    mambagirl Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Use the search bar....Most of your questions have already been asked and Welcome!!!
  • Lala20112
    Lala20112 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I hope everyone can read this ,wonderful advice!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Missed this before - very good suggestions. :smile:
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Deserve a bump
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    It's my diary and I'll do with it as I please.

Otherwise.. good advice. :)
  • katiewcurlz
    Options
    Great stuf!
  • pattilyn17
    Options
    This is some very sound advice. MY EXCUSE- I have an antique cell phone and can't do MFP. Then I don't always have time to get on the computer to log meals and exercise. I will not be using this excuse any more. Have some issues to deal with the rest of this week and over the weekend then will be on here religiously to give and get support and to keep track of food intake and excercise.
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Totally agree. These should be the MFP Golden Rules.
  • Ginn123
    Ginn123 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Great tips! I'm not sure if I want to post a pic of myself just yet so I hope my avi is good for now.
  • lbettinger1
    lbettinger1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options

(3) Don't hide your diary, at least not from your friends. You want accountability, right?

I just made my diary accessible.... ugh! Do I ever need accountability!!
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    But what if I expect the members of this site to cater to my expectations? I mean, it seems hardly fair that this place sets up its own expectations with no regard to my own. Not democratic if you ask me.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I'm no newbie. Been on MFP a year and several months. I'm on maintenance. I don't share my diary. It's too weird and I can't handle people commenting on it. I do all the rest though.
  • DJMartins
    Options
    :smile: Good on you, none of us are Adonises, no shame here, only shame if you are not honest in your diary or even worse quit!
    I find the diary is a good 'coach'

Good step in the right direction
  • baxgilter
    baxgilter Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Alot of people don't like to share their diary. If you can't handle the criticism that is cool. I generally look at my friend's diaries however to see what they are eating and to get new yummy ideas. Why not keep the diary open and state a disclaimer on your profile that you don't want feedback on it but rather have it open for others to get ideas if they want?

- JoAnna