Ok, what did I do wrong?

Options
I completed 12 workouts this week (2 a day), burned 4253 calories, low sodium intake, ate at least 1200 calories a day, didn't go over calorie limit, drank between 7 and 8 glasses of water a day, and yet the scale barely moved. Seriously? A 6 oz loss? What am I doing wrong?

Replies

• kyrabeth1986
    kyrabeth1986 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    No eating enough? by the sounds of it your body is in starvation mode so holding on to any food you are eating!
  • amanda_catherine
    Options
    not giving it enough time..... repeat for another week and see what happens..:)
  • diamondfit1
    diamondfit1 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Eat more!
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    So, you lost almost a half a pound.
    Tweak your calories up a bit.
    Follow the MFP recommendations for daily food intake - eat back your exercise calories.
    That's what I needed to do to find that zone of 1 pound per week weight loss.
    Looks like you're close.
    :flowerforyou:
  • Yes2HealthyAriel
    Yes2HealthyAriel Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    if you are burning that many calories you should up your calories to at least 1300-1400
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,269 Member
    Options
    1) You are supposed to NET 1200 calories. You are under eating every day.

2) How are you figuring burned calories?

3) You only have 14lbs to lose. This will take longer naturally. You most likely should only be aiming to lose .5 lbs a week.
  • Vinyarddog
    Options
    you can't always trust the scale - how do you look ? Give it more time - (There would be no need for web sites like this one if instant results were possible)
  • mommy_03
    mommy_03 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    dont worry about that scale, it was very hard for me to learn that concept but instead measure around your waist and track your inches lost, because 2 cups of water=1 lb, so it may be water weight, as long as you look like your losing and feel like your losing, then you probably are:)
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    It could be all sorts of different things or nothing at all.

You didn't say how much you weigh and how much you are hoping to lose per week. If you're already within a healthy range for your height/build, weight loss is often very, very slow. The scale did move in the direction you want it to, so it's not a total failure.

Keep going and see what happens in the next few weeks. If nothing much happens, then you'll need to make some adjustments.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    If you've worked out that much, chances are good that you've done some damage to your muscles (and I'm not talking about 'bad' damage - rather the normal damage that happens when you push a muscle group). All the microscopic tears are likely making you hold on to extra water while your muscles repair.

If I do a tough strength workout, I'm always 2-3 lbs heavier the next morning.
  • magicherry
    magicherry Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    not giving it enough time..... repeat for another week and see what happens..:)

^
  • Emma_Problema
    Emma_Problema Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I agree that you definitely aren't eating enough to be working out twice a day.

Please use this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12 to determine your calorie intake.

If you have little to lose, it will come off slowly. It should come off slowly, or else it will be mostly water weight with a good chunk of muscle, which means that it generally won't be a sustainable loss.

I think people often don't realize that losing weight is not an exact numbers game. We are amazingly complex creatures with amazingly complex bodies. Yes, the whole "what you take in - what you put out" equation is generally correct, but there's a lot more going on physiologically than an equation simple enough for an elementary school aged kid to do. If it was that easy, you definitely would be down several pounds, because a 3500 calorie deficit is equal to 1 lb of fat loss.

I honestly think you need to slow it down. Figure out your BMR and your TDEE (explained on the link I showed you) and go about losing in a more sane way. You didn't gain that weight in a few weeks and it won't come off in a few weeks either. Losing weight is a process, but hopefully one that you will come to find fulfilling.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    You're working out way too much and eating too little. Eat back your exercise calories. You asking way to much of your body and giving it nothing to work with.
  • no1dragn
    no1dragn Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    My calorie intake is a little above 1200, except for Monday (1800) and Thursday (???, I had a date and forgot to log). I want to weigh between 135 and 140 pounds. I currently weigh 154.8 (gads! just writing that sounds bad!!!). My highest weight was 170.6 on 2/12/12. I have been working out about 5 days a week up until now with a 2.5 month break due to surgery, illness, and other busy stuff. Before my surgery I was down to 146 pounds but bounced up to 155 between the surgery and holidays. I calculate my calorie burn with a heart rate monitor using the following calculation: CB=((.4472 x HR)-(.05741 x W) + (.074 x A) -20.4022) X T/4.184 where: HR=Average heart rate W=weight A=age CB=Calorie Burned

I hope I answered your questions. Thanks for any help!
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,269 Member
    Options
    My calorie intake is a little above 1200, except for Monday (1800) and Thursday (???, I had a date and forgot to log). I want to weigh between 135 and 140 pounds. I currently weigh 154.8 (gads! just writing that sounds bad!!!). My highest weight was 170.6 on 2/12/12. I have been working out about 5 days a week up until now with a 2.5 month break due to surgery, illness, and other busy stuff. Before my surgery I was down to 146 pounds but bounced up to 155 between the surgery and holidays. I calculate my calorie burn with a heart rate monitor using the following calculation: CB=((.4472 x HR)-(.05741 x W) + (.074 x A) -20.4022) X T/4.184 where: HR=Average heart rate W=weight A=age CB=Calorie Burned

I hope I answered your questions. Thanks for any help!

Again, you should be NETTING 1200 calories minimum... not just eating 1200 calories. Some days you are burning so much that you are ending up with a NET of 500 calories or less. This is not healthy nor is it conducive to long term success. You need to up your calories or at least Net the 1200 calories that MFP is saying you should eat.
  • TyL17
    TyL17 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Also, if you're working out twice a day only drinking 7-8 cups of water this may be triggering your natural survival defenses.. 7-8 is recommended as a base line if you're not being physically active.. don't worry about water weight, the more water you drink the less your body will retain. Plus , water is zero calories, but costs calories to process.. so you actually are burning calories just drinking water.
  • liittlesparrow
    liittlesparrow Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Vary the amount of calories you eat every day. Like 1200 one day, 1400 the next, then 1200, then 1500, 1200 etc. Besides, it was one week. What are you expecting, 10 lbs to be gone? This takes time. Your body needs time to change. Continue like you are (while varying calorie intake) for a month, I guarantee you'll be happy with the changes then. :)
  • ZozoMonster
    ZozoMonster Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Muscle gain!?
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Your net calories are way too low because of the over-exercising. Work out less or eat more.
  • no1dragn
    no1dragn Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! I'm going to drink more..water of course and NOT watch the scale plus add more good calories.