How can you love yourself now?

Options
SO. I've seen myself change throughout my weight loss journey. My current goal is to be a size 8. I just have issues picturing what that will look like because since I see myself every day, I don't notice changes. Yes, you can take pictures, but in regards to day to day life, I don't notice a difference and I feel that when i hit my goal, I still won't. I need a way to..see myself differently. i love the changes i have now, but I dunno. I wish there was a way I could hide the mirror until this is all over, you know? I want to SEE my transformation; The beginning and just the end. But somewhere in the middle you need to love yourself now and I'm struggling with that. I mean, i love how far I've come ad everything. But I can't love the body I'm in now when I want something better. Help?

Replies

• calisunrise
    Options
    i suggest you take pictures every month or every two weeks. preferably in a bikini. you'll be surprised by the changes you'd notice!
  • kassiebby1124
    kassiebby1124 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    i suggest you take pictures every month or every two weeks. preferably in a bikini. you'll be surprised by the changes you'd notice!
    I don't own a bikini, but I want one, one day. I just. Merp. I guess I don't want pictures to be what reminds me. I just want to see it? i don't know if that makes sense.
  • kyrabeth1986
    kyrabeth1986 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Stand in front of the mirror and pay yourself a compliment every day, you'll feel stupid to start with but in a few weeks you'll start to believe it and should start to appreciate the good things you have. Its okay to want to improve but there must be some parts of you that you love.

For me for example - im 210lbs and 5"5, im obviously overweight and need to change to be happy in my wedding dress. But this morning i looked at myself and am grateful for my blue eyes, or the other day it was how my body shape does resemble a hourglass in the right clothes :)
  • kassiebby1124
    Options
    Stand in front of the mirror and pay yourself a compliment every day, you'll feel stupid to start with but in a few weeks you'll start to believe it and should start to appreciate the good things you have. Its okay to want to improve but there must be some parts of you that you love.

For me for example - im 210lbs and 5"5, im obviously overweight and need to change to be happy in my wedding dress. But this morning i looked at myself and am grateful for my blue eyes, or the other day it was how my body shape does resemble a hourglass in the right clothes :)
    The one thing I love about myself are my legs..
  • kyrabeth1986
    Options

The one thing I love about myself are my legs..

Then stand in front of the mirror, look at them and tell yourself how amazing they are :)
  • kassiebby1124
    Options
    Then stand in front of the mirror, look at them and tell yourself how amazing they are :)
    My sister and friends tell me to do this, but I just can't keep it consistent >< I always somehow find something negative to point out..
  • kyrabeth1986
    Options
    Okay how about 2 stars and a wish (you can tell im a teacher lol)

1 good comment
    1 thing you want to change
    1 good thing

As long as you sandwich your negative/change comment the overall 'conversation' will be positive so still helping you
  • kyrabeth1986
    Options
    Okay how about 2 stars and a wish (you can tell im a teacher lol)

1 good comment
    1 thing you want to change
    1 good thing

As long as you sandwich your negative/change comment the overall 'conversation' will be positive so still helping you

For example -
    I love my legs
    I wish i could tone my stomach more
    but atleast i can wear skinny jeans and look fab!!
  • ellarainbow
    Options
    You don't even have to stand in front of a mirror. Just think how much your legs have accomplished. They're probably pretty amazing!
  • kassiebby1124
    Options
    I like the sandwich method c: And I probably won't look at the mirror. It makes me..nervous.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    I don't take pictures, I measure everything once per month. I still have issues with some parts of my body, but I do not hate it. It keeps me strong and steady for my children and it takes me where I want to go on my bicycle every day. You learn to love what your body does and is rather than what it looks like. I was really overweight last year, I broke several bones in my body, I am now lifting heavy in the gym again....my body is awesome just for that difference alone. What can you do now that you couldn't before? Think of some things you can get out and do for you as well, you time...I have found that is important. Time just for me, so I can appreciate me and have self-talk time...

A bit deep, but trying to get you some positives somewhere, I bet there are loads of little things you can find along the way if you think about it! : )

p.s. mirrors hate me too, they cry when I come near pffffffft!!!
  • kassiebby1124
    Options
    I don't take pictures, I measure everything once per month. I still have issues with some parts of my body, but I do not hate it. It keeps me strong and steady for my children and it takes me where I want to go on my bicycle every day. You learn to love what your body does and is rather than what it looks like. I was really overweight last year, I broke several bones in my body, I am now lifting heavy in the gym again....my body is awesome just for that difference alone. What can you do now that you couldn't before? Think of some things you can get out and do for you as well, you time...I have found that is important. Time just for me, so I can appreciate me and have self-talk time...

A bit deep, but trying to get you some positives somewhere, I bet there are loads of little things you can find along the way if you think about it! : )

p.s. mirrors hate me too, they cry when I come near pffffffft!!!
    I have started lifting heavy, which is awesome. I think that's what my focus on changing is. Everyone says that I will see a noticeable difference in lifting and I want to see it now.
  • GnaBean
    GnaBean Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Are your friends' bodies perfect? Probably not, yet you love and accept them, don't you? Try to be your own best friend instead of your own worst critic. When you look at your body, if you wouldn't say it to a friend, don't say it to yourself!
  • kassiebby1124
    Options
    Are your friends' bodies perfect? Probably not, yet you love and accept them, don't you? Try to be your own best friend instead of your own worst critic. When you look at your body, if you wouldn't say it to a friend, don't say it to yourself!
    Thank you!
  • JKS76
    JKS76 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
  • JKS76
    Options

nexangelus gives really good advice here.

I would also say, try not to focus on your appearance at the expense of other aspects of yourself. If you love yourself for what is inside and who you are, then beautiful body parts are just added bonuses instead of the keys to your happiness. If we think like "when I am such and such a body fat/weight/size I will be happy" then I reckon we will always be looking for the next thing to improve, the next condition to meet in order to be nice to ourselves. Also, what happens if we get ill or injured? Do we start hating ourselves again because we aren't perfect?? Believe me I know how hard this is from years or trying to accept myself *still not there*, but I genuinely believe the only way to love who you are is to make who you are and what you do more important than what you look like.
  • kassiebby1124
    Options

nexangelus gives really good advice here.

I would also say, try not to focus on your appearance at the expense of other aspects of yourself. If you love yourself for what is inside and who you are, then beautiful body parts are just added bonuses instead of the keys to your happiness. If we think like "when I am such and such a body fat/weight/size I will be happy" then I reckon we will always be looking for the next thing to improve, the next condition to meet in order to be nice to ourselves. Also, what happens if we get ill or injured? Do we start hating ourselves again because we aren't perfect?? Believe me I know how hard this is from years or trying to accept myself *still not there*, but I genuinely believe the only way to love who you are is to make who you are and what you do more important than what you look like.
    That is a good point. I do love my personality. I really do.
  • Mgetsfit
    Mgetsfit Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I don't love myself for my body, I know I'm more than this :)
    It also helps me that other people (like my family, friends and boyfriend) love me.
  • JKS76
    Options

That is a good point. I do love my personality. I really do.

Good, I am really glad. I hope you can find an answer to your question.
    PS. Lifting is brilliant isn't it! How long have you been doing it?
  • kassiebby1124
    Options

Good, I am really glad. I hope you can find an answer to your question.
    PS. Lifting is brilliant isn't it! How long have you been doing it?
    I've been lifting for a couple months, but inconsistently. I decided I'm gonna be consistent c: