How CAN you cut down sugar?

Options
I don't have sugar in coffee, don't drink sodas, never eat sugary snacks between meals, don't eat chocolate or ice cream AND YET I am over the recommended levels of sugar intake almost EVERY DAY! I really don't know what else I could do. Suggestions, anyone? I've tried going over to cream cheese instead of jam on my bread, drinking only half glasses of fruit juice... and I just can't think of anything else to do but IT ISN'T ENOUGH. Argh!!

Replies

• mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531
    Options
    Where is your sugar coming from? Remember that some sugars are better than others!
  • JJs25th
    JJs25th Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Careful what you are counting as sugar. As I understand things, MFP does not differentiate between natural sugar -- found in just about all food and "Added" sugar -- the stuff you put in you coffee, or is added during food processing. Why are you counting it? Are you diabetic?

<edited> for spelling
  • Topsurf3
    Topsurf3 Posts: 17
    Options
    Which foods are you eating that has the most sugar? You should be getting most of your sugar from fruits. Make sure you stay away from refined sugars and carbs like in white bread and white pasta. Instead try whole 100% wheat breads and wheat pasta. (You can't even tell the difference. I swear!) Also, watch your hidden sugars in things like pasta sauce, barbecue sauce, etc. Good luck to you!
  • sweetrevenge
    Options
    Wow, I'm so glad that I found your post. I have been going INSANE with my sugars. I am ALWAYS over my sugar. So my goal after going 89 over on Monday was to try to stay under my sugar allowance. Well yesterday was better, only going over 9 but I still want to stay under and I just don't know how to.....I hope someone gives you a great response, I will keep checking back.
  • raelbee
    raelbee Posts: 219
    Options
    As long as I am getting my sugar from natural sources (fruits and vegetables), I don't worry about going over my daily allotment. Our bodies do need the healthy sugars to survive and thrive.

One suggestion would be to eat a piece of fruit, instead of drinking a glass of juice. A glass of juice is much more concentrated and has the sugar level of several pieces of fruit.
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    Your food diary should show you where your sugar is coming from. Fruit juice and jams do have a lot of sugar in them. Maybe drink a lighter version of the juice?
    Just look at your food journal and see what is making you go over. If its something you can cut out, than go for it.
  • gnme4243
    gnme4243 Posts: 120
    Options
    I saw you mentioned fruit juice- that's a HUGE HUGE sugar offender, especially if the juice you drink is made from concentrate, then it's even higher. Personally I won't drink juice anymore, but instead just have the fruit. And the juice I buy for my family is never from concentrate anymore, it helps to cut back the sugars. I think Tropicana has a juice that is half the sugar that you might look into.

Maybe just starting there would help make a difference. :flowerforyou:
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Fruit sugars are ok.

Open up your diary, if you would like others to view and give their opinions on what your eating/drinking.
  • GingerSnark
    GingerSnark Posts: 153
    Options
    One suggestion would be to eat a piece of fruit, instead of drinking a glass of juice. A glass of juice is much more concentrated and has the sugar level of several pieces of fruit.

Agreed. Did you see the thread on here called Sugar:The Bitter Truth? Check it out.
  • Roger_Williams
    Roger_Williams Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Where is your sugar coming from? Remember that some sugars are better than others!

Well, mvl1024, that's what's puzzling me. I've cut back to half a glass of fruit juice, and we buy brands that say "no added sugar." I'm not going to give up my daily fruit juice, though...
  • Roger_Williams
    Options
    Careful what you are counting as sugar. As I understand things, MFP does not differentiate between natural sugar -- found in just about all food and "Added" sugar -- the stuff you put in you coffee, or is added during food processing. Why are you counting it? Are you diabetic?

<edited> for spelling

I'm not diabetic, though I got warned that I was borderline, and it's in the family, so I want to be careful. Looking at my diary I would have to say it's what comes through food processing. Half a cup of fruit juice and a teaspoonful of jam a day can't be the cause, surely!
  • Roger_Williams
    Options
    Which foods are you eating that has the most sugar? You should be getting most of your sugar from fruits. Make sure you stay away from refined sugars and carbs like in white bread and white pasta. Instead try whole 100% wheat breads and wheat pasta. (You can't even tell the difference. I swear!) Also, watch your hidden sugars in things like pasta sauce, barbecue sauce, etc. Good luck to you!

Well, I do eat fruit every day. My wife changes the fruit around--banana one day, orange the next, then apple, etc. Is there really more sugar in white bread than wheat bread? I didn't know that. It doesn't TASTE sweet... I'll tell her to look out for wheat pasta as we eat pasta several times a week. We don't often eat white bread, except for baguettes--we love those.
  • Roger_Williams
    Options
    Wow, I'm so glad that I found your post. I have been going INSANE with my sugars. I am ALWAYS over my sugar. So my goal after going 89 over on Monday was to try to stay under my sugar allowance. Well yesterday was better, only going over 9 but I still want to stay under and I just don't know how to.....I hope someone gives you a great response, I will keep checking back.

You too, huh? As I said to someone else, I'm borderline diabetic and have to be careful. I shudder to think how much I must have been eating while I was still eating chocolate, ice cream and the rest. But it's FRUSTRATING that I'm still over after having given up most of the obvious sources. I often consume DOUBLE the recommended daily level.
  • Roger_Williams
    Options
    Fruit sugars are ok.

Open up your diary, if you would like others to view and give their opinions on what your eating/drinking.

Thanks, Peter. I'll do that as soon as I sign off this note. Perhaps you would then be so kind as to take a look? I must be missing something pretty obvious, but I'm new to all this calory counting, nutrient watching, and weight training, etc.
  • meokk
    meokk Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    We bought our first juicer last year and have really enjoyed making our own juices.
    Sometimes we mix fruits and veggies which keeps the sugar down.
    Berries and melon juices would be lower in sugar than orange too.
    I especially love grape, apple, ginger & lemon together, it ends up being about the same sugar grams as drinking orange juice but feels much healthier and it doesn't get any fresher.
    If you have the time and the inclination, it's a lovely way to get your daily juice.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    I stopped counting sugar when I realized that I was going over because of fruit and dairy. To me this just isn't the same at all and we need these healthy sugars. Just look for things that don't have sugar added and don't worry about it.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    oops. posted twice for some reason
  • Roger_Williams
    Options
    We bought our first juicer last year and have really enjoyed making our own juices.
    Sometimes we mix fruits and veggies which keeps the sugar down.
    Berries and melon juices would be lower in sugar than orange too.
    I especially love grape, apple, ginger & lemon together, it ends up being about the same sugar grams as drinking orange juice but feels much healthier and it doesn't get any fresher.
    If you have the time and the inclination, it's a lovely way to get your daily juice.

Thanks, I just shared that suggestion with my wife and we think it's probably the way to go.
  • Roger_Williams
    Options
    I stopped counting sugar when I realized that I was going over because of fruit and dairy. To me this just isn't the same at all and we need these healthy sugars. Just look for things that don't have sugar added and don't worry about it.

That could be the gest advice for me. I can't go about things half-heartedly, it's all or nothing for me. So when (for the very first time in my life at age 72) I started to count calories, swimming lengths, cycling minutes etc., etc., I was probably in danger of going overboard. But I don't understand how the sugar I get from an orange that I've turned into juice can be all that different from the sugar in organge juice bought over the counter. Added sugars could be anything, and I try to avoid them, but even fructose is only a SUGAR! Why do people say that natural sugar shouldn't be counted? I've seen that a few times now, and it appeals to me, but I'm not fully convinced. It sounds a bit too much like believing what you want to believe, Not you personally, of course, I mean people in general! <grin>
  • sweetrevenge
    Options

You too, huh? As I said to someone else, I'm borderline diabetic and have to be careful. I shudder to think how much I must have been eating while I was still eating chocolate, ice cream and the rest. But it's FRUSTRATING that I'm still over after having given up most of the obvious sources. I often consume DOUBLE the recommended daily level.

Well I actually stayed under my sugar allowance yesterday and I am pretty arn proud of myself. I just really watced the labels on everything I ate. I realized that yes honey nut cheerios are okay to eat but I can't have two bowls a day because the sugar in both the milk and the cereal add up. I'm not as worried about sugars as I was before. I know that not all sugars are bad and as long as I'm not going 90 over my sugar allowance 5-12 over is okay because I know I am eating healthy and that a lot of the sugars for come from good sources. Hope your doing better with your sugar as well. Good luck!