Protein Powders

Options
This may have been covered before, but would appreciate any advice on the topic.

To those that are knowledgable about building lean mass - what protein powders are your favorite?

Any recommendations for a vanilla flavor, a chocolate flavor, and is there a flavor that can be added to things like egg white omelets, vegetables, etc that isn't a sweetened flavor?

Specific brand recommendations preferred! Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Tupelo64
    Tupelo64 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hi there.. I would be interested in knowing what others use or experience... here is my recent experience:

EAS Soy Protein - Mixes nicely, has a great taste (chocolate), low in cholesterol, but is high in sugar.. I think the 3rd ingredient is fructose.. WalMart sells it..

Visalus VI-Shape Nutritional Shake Mix Sweet Cream Flavor - hands down the best protein powder I have ever tasted.. I drink it like it was a milk shake.. It is also soy based. Sold by "distributors" but also now on Amazon.

I am currently looking for a gluten free, low in sugar taste great powder myself. I will use mine for weight loss vs. muscle building Good luck!
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I like Market Pantry (Target) Brand. Inexpensive protein per serving with a good taste
  • mommy_03
    mommy_03 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    i was wondering this myself, which is better? powder or pre-made shakes? im totally illiterate to the whole protein thing and am learning as i go:)
  • Rtossas
    Rtossas Posts: 29
    Options
    I generally preferred a whey based protein powder because of it's highly digestible fast absorbing rate. Occasionally I will used some sort of whey casein blend ex: muscle milk, Optimum nutrition performance whey. I currently used two different types of whey protein powder one being eas 100% whey and the other muscle milk, but my favorites are hydro whey and hydrobuilder by optimum nutrition. Viz here's a great article going into detail the different types of powders and the many benefits they provide our body.

http://www.simplyshredded.com/top-protein-picks-the-ultimate-guide-to-protein-powders-for-muscle-growth.html

@mommy there really is no difference between ready to drink shakes and powder shakes other than the cost. RTD shakes tend to be a little more expensive where as a powder based protein will cost cheaper and last alot longer.
  • vizsla99
    vizsla99 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I generally preferred a whey based protein powder because of it's highly digestible fast absorbing rate. Occasionally I will used some sort of whey casein blend ex: muscle milk, Optimum nutrition performance whey. I currently used two different types of whey protein powder one being eas 100% whey and the other muscle milk, but my favorites are hydro whey and hydrobuilder by optimum nutrition. Viz here's a great article going into detail the different types of powders and the many benefits they provide our body.

http://www.simplyshredded.com/top-protein-picks-the-ultimate-guide-to-protein-powders-for-muscle-growth.html

@mommy there really is no difference between ready to drink shakes and powder shakes other than the cost. RTD shakes tend to be a little more expensive where as a powder based protein will cost cheaper and last alot longer.

Thanks for the link!
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I'm allergic to whey and therefore soy, as well, so I use Healthy n Fit Egg White protein powder in strawberry (I mix it with coconut milk and my strawberry Shakeology). It is sweetened with stevia, but lightly, and it's all natural. I'm thinking the vanilla would mix in well with stuff without altering the flavor too much. I get mine from Netrition.com because it's $9 cheaper there than at Vitamin Shoppe (GNC only carries the more expensive Jay Robb egg white protein) and Netrition has $4.95 shipping for everywhere in the US besides HI and Alaska.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Hi there.. I would be interested in knowing what others use or experience... here is my recent experience:

EAS Soy Protein - Mixes nicely, has a great taste (chocolate), low in cholesterol, but is high in sugar.. I think the 3rd ingredient is fructose.. WalMart sells it..

Visalus VI-Shape Nutritional Shake Mix Sweet Cream Flavor - hands down the best protein powder I have ever tasted.. I drink it like it was a milk shake.. It is also soy based. Sold by "distributors" but also now on Amazon.

I am currently looking for a gluten free, low in sugar taste great powder myself. I will use mine for weight loss vs. muscle building Good luck!

Vi shakes also have glucose...
  • Remo_Williams
    Options
    Most of the protein powders available now are much better than ones from 20 years ago as far as taste and mix-ability. I use whey for pre-workout since it is absorbed the quickest. I currently use EAS 100% Whey in chocolate since it is very cheap in the 5 lb bag at my local warehouse club. When I have a little more money to spend, I like ON Natural Whey, since there are no artificial ingredients. The only downside being they sweeten with fructose.

There is actually a site where you can make and order your own blends: http://www.truenutrition.com/

Many of the "custom" formulas on the market are actually manufactured by this company and then rebranded.
  • shanmackie
    shanmackie Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I really like this one - http://www.naturalhealthyconcepts.com/raw-meal-GL-p-garden-of-life.html?gclid=COfCobr-07QCFQSg4AodWDMAyQ

i mix it with a banana and a cup of almond milk every day. i only use 1/2 of one scoop rather than 2 like it says, because WOW calories. the smell isn't nice because it's mostly greens but it tastes fine. it's SO healthy for you!
  • vizsla99
    vizsla99 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Most of the protein powders available now are much better than ones from 20 years ago as far as taste and mix-ability. I use whey for pre-workout since it is absorbed the quickest. I currently use EAS 100% Whey in chocolate since it is very cheap in the 5 lb bag at my local warehouse club. When I have a little more money to spend, I like ON Natural Whey, since there are no artificial ingredients. The only downside being they sweeten with fructose.

There is actually a site where you can make and order your own blends: http://www.truenutrition.com/

Many of the "custom" formulas on the market are actually manufactured by this company and then rebranded.

Wow, thanks for the cool link!
  • Crazy_Diet_Mom
    Options
    Interested myself... bumping in : )
  • fitjc21
    fitjc21 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been using Vega One for about a year - plant based protein developed by a triathlete. I find it easier to digest & tastes delicious.

Vega's new athlete performance line has chocolate and vanilla (chocolate's my favourite). I add 1 scoop to blend with a banana, frozen berries and almond milk.
  • MacSkillz
    MacSkillz Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I have Crohn's so I have to use a plant based protein powder. The Whey and Soy based ones do NOT agree with me at all. The only one that I have found that my system will digest is a vegan protein powder called Plant Fusion. I usually get it on Amazon and it's about $30 for a 2 lb bottle. I always buy 2 at a time and it usually lasts me about 3 months with having 1 protein shake a day. I think it tastes great and doesn't have the chalky texture that some have. It also comes in a variety of flavers: original, vanilla bean, chocolate, cookies-n-cream, and chocolate raspberry.
  • odearja
    Options
    Is this a bad time to bring up the concentrate v isolates v blends?
    If price isnt as much of an issue, lean towards the isolates first. Blends are popular, but look at the ingredient list and make sure there is more isolates than concentrates.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition's Gold Standard Whey, it's pretty much the poster child for good protein powders (and for a reason).

Also, be wary of some protein brands as they skimp you on protein.
    Here's a spreadsheet of someone testing protein content found in popular protein powders vs their advertised amount.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ag9uT-E4EIL7dFZPZnR0WVZybGtFWnRKNzdKNm9XOVE#gid=0
  • rizzaG
    rizzaG Posts: 110
    Options
    I like Market Pantry (Target) Brand. Inexpensive protein per serving with a good taste

I'm using P90X results and recovery formula I love it so much but I'm sort of looking for a much affordable alternative, didn't know target have those (market pantry) I'll check it out next time I stop by target.
  • nessabea
    nessabea Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Whole Foods 365 Whey Protein Powder. I use the Vanilla. Sweetened with Stevia (natural). Decent on calories and taste and my pocketbook!
  • rizzaG
    rizzaG Posts: 110
    Options
    I use http://www.sunwarrior.com/what_is_protein/ doesn't make me feel bloated and I like the taste although for first time user you might find it has a little bit of chalky taste but it didn't bother me at all. Also I use P90X results and recovery formula a little bit expensive but it's so worth it. I feel less soar the next day and my muscles can recover very quickly, taste great too!
  • otrlynn
    otrlynn Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I use Body Fortress Whey Isolate vanilla crime flavor, from Walmart.there are 60 grams of protein in two scoops. I typically use a half scoop and add it to a half cup of soy milk, which I then use on my breakfast cereal. It has a mildly sweet decent vanilla flavor. The price is reasonable.
  • xtc70
    xtc70 Posts: 1
    Options
    Check out http://nutivahempshake.com/. The Berry and Vanilla flavors have a slightly better profile than chocolate.

Organic, no hexane, omega-3's, good for the planet, (and Canada thanks to our stupid hemp prohibition).