Help!

Options
I have a hate/hate relationship with the scale and have had a few phases of years without stepping on one, I am a bit scared to step on one, I know around where my weight is but am scared it is more but how do you gauge the program is working and doesn't need tweaking without using the scale?

Replies

• Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Tape measure, have your body fat tested at the gym.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    I've always, always used the mirror, I do weight myself a couple of times a year, but it never effects how I'm going to proceed. Some people can't do this, just letting you know it works for me.
  • Earguy
    Earguy Posts: 35
    Options
    Forget the scale, then. Tapemeasure yourself. Or, if you're a shopper, just go by clothing sizes. Personally, I recommend measuring waist, neck, thighs and upper arms.

If you can stay on play without too much affirmation from monitoring progress, I'd recommend measuring only every 2-3 weeks because inches are more nuanced than pounds. Unless you measure yourself metrically! "Hey, I lost 38mm!"
  • nguk123
    nguk123 Posts: 223
    Options
    I suggest conquering your fear of the scale. Maybe tape over the read out and just practice standing on it and occupy yourself while watching youtube or reading myfitnesspal forums. Then check the clock and tell yourself, I stood on the scale for half an hour and nothing bad happened. I had fun.

Repeat every day, slowly removing some of the tape until all is revealed, and stepping on the scale is just like stepping through your front door.
  • loopingcaterpillar
    loopingcaterpillar Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    you can just see by how well your clothes are fitting. i feel better in my clothes and even had to stop wearing trousers that are now too loose :)

and thats with losing little to none by the tape measure, im just a neater shape.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Pick a set of clothes that *just* fits you now. Note how they feel, where they are tight, where they are loose. Try them on again in a month.
  • mkrekeler
    mkrekeler Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to get on the scale then just take measurements. Actually, measurements are probably a better indicator of success than a scale anyway.
  • ladynica
    ladynica Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    The scale is just ONE tool that can be used to measure and get an idea of where you're at. It's nothing to be afraid of as it is not definitive of who you are, it's merely just a tool. Use it in conjuction with a tape measure, the way your clothes fit, how you feel and what before and after photos show you.
  • dinomomma
    dinomomma Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone!!!!
  • dinomomma
    Options
    Good idea, thank you
  • dinomomma
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions :)????????