If I cannot RUN,what is the next best thing?

Options
I have osteoarthritis in my ankle due to breaking it and my tibia and fibula 7 years ago.My doc has basically said that pavement running is out,treadmill and track may be ok...BUT if I lose my excess weight I may or may not be able to jog a few days a week for 30 mins at a time...

So until I lose this weight I was just wondering what would be second best?I was a gym person for decades so I am going to have to get back in there(and will miss running in fresh air)and she said elliptical,and bike are the best.I thought I could probably dust off my bike shorts and start taking spinning classes again as well.

Just curious for those who were once runners and then were told they could not what you did

Replies

• BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I have arthritis, I walk 6 days a week and do strength training 3 days a week.
  • kellyh0709
    kellyh0709 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My mum has osteo arthrotis in her back, knees, neck, spine and hands.

She has found swimmng and bike riding the best forms of exercise as she is supported but gets her heart pumping.

She also does chair yoga and some pilates to improve her strength and flexibilty.

She ha managed to stop taking all the medication that she was taking for the pain etc by exercise and tries to make sure she does something everyday.
  • CSassWJE
    Options
    Walking. In December of 2011, I began walking in addition to eating better. I weighed 214 pounds. I was then 50 years old. When I started, I would get winded walking for fifteen minutes. I increased my distance incrementally each day (at the time I was counting steps). I walked every day. Now I walk at least one hour every day. Some days I walk two hours. I am down to 180 pounds, which is the weight my doctor says I should weigh for my height and age. I dropped the first fourteen pounds fairly easily in about three months time. Getting to 195 didn't take much more effort, but then my rate of weight loss slowed, but always continued downward. Most people do not think that walking is sufficiently strenuous to be considered exercise; however walking at a brisk pace is certainly excercise and aerobic. I walk at a speed of 4 mph.
  • DJJW
    DJJW Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Walking is still great, and easier on all your joints. I lost my first 10 easily on walking alone. Bikes are awesome too, and you can do your ol jogging route.
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    If you have access to a gym then the arc trainer or elliptical is great. Biking & swimming are great too.
  • VictoriaWorksOut
    VictoriaWorksOut Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Walking fast (power walking) actually burns more calories then running and is easier on your joints. Grab 1-3 lb hand weight for additional load and you will be burning a whole lot of calories.
  • drdior
    drdior Posts: 2
    Options
    Are you able to use a rebounder (mini-trampoline)? I can't do most aerobics now due to SI joint problems, but bouncing doesn't cause me any problems.
  • mercymarque
    Options
    walking
  • Snitch1
    Snitch1 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I have a knee with 13 surgeries, 8 knee replacements>4 were antibiotic cement blocks(-YES, it CAN be done-)but it is chronically infected now, and joint is USELESS, walking is hard, 15-20 minutes is max. SWIMMING is what I do, or ride recumbent bike, Love them. Also, a Tony Little Gazzell..love it., Not bad on knee's. My other one is already close to bone on bone.
  • doreenindetroit
    Options
    Don't worry about running. It is so taxing on joints I don't do it very often either. You can do elliptical or just brisk walking (min. 3.8 mph) at an incline? That gets my heart rate up more than when I'm jogging at a 5.5 mph pace. You can even do some interval in there... 2 min of either sprinting or walking up incline, then walk slow for a min, then do it again for 2 min. This gets your heart rate up and down and burns a lot of fat.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    Walk fast, row, swim, lift weights...do bodyweight exercises...cycle...
  • gingerengel1
    Options
    elliptical